Thread: EB 832 Error After Hook an UPS

Regular Vistor

EB 832 Error After Hook an UPS

Guys,

I've installed an UPS for my Apex 2016 with EB 832 using all requirements and recommendations for scenario "Advanced" with AC Adapter 12V 0.5 milliamperes into outlet and EB 832 into a 0.7VA UPS power monitor enabled.

All is working well, tested power outage, all programming working fine with exception of the voltage monitor showing in red "EB832 Voltage Error" as you can see below.

My local voltage is 127 for any reference.

Any risk? Any advice how to fix?

Thanks

Apex_Error.jpeg

What does the EB832 Volts show if the EB832 is plugged into regular power instead of the UPS?
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    Hi Russ,

No error if plugged into regular outlet, voltage shows 119 Vols.

I never heard about UPS compatibility here.

Any insights?

thanks

Frequent Visitor
    I would say your UPS is not outputting 120 volts. Do you have a multi-meter that you can use the check what the UPS is outputting?

NSI Member
    Agreed. It appears your UPS is not outputting sufficient voltage. What model is the UPS?

Don

Could also be that the apex is measuring fundamental or peak and not RMS, which is veeeery different on a stepped voltage UPS vs the wall or pure sine wave UPS (I haven't tested this yet, but should have by now).

I agree you should check the UPS output with a multimeter, preferably one that measures true RMS.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

NSI Member
    You hit the nail on the head why I was asking for the model of the UPS Most inexpensive UPS use cheap inverters and don't put out the best power... I would venture a guess that is what the issue is.

Don

Regular Vistor
    Thank you all for your help. I never heard you guys mentioning that a top UPS was needed. Saw even saying a power bar with UPs was ok. All other devices hooked into this UPs is working fine.

Anyway this is also another thing that Apex supposed to certify and investigate before we spend some money to solve another problem created by apex. I mean lost connection after power outage.

Not happy with this.

thamks

jeferson stutz
    ReefTECH

Quote Originally Posted by Jeferson Stutz View Post
    Thank you all for your help. I never heard you guys mentioning that a top UPS was needed. Saw even saying a power bar with UPs was ok. All other devices hooked into this UPs is working fine.

Anyway this is also another thing that Apex supposed to certify and investigate before we spend some money to solve another problem created by apex. I mean lost connection after power outage.

Not happy with this.

thamks

jeferson stutz
    ReefTECH
    A pure sine wave UPS is not needed unless you plan on running AC pumps. My comment was that it's possible the voltage is actually healthy but the apex MAY misinterpret the voltage as lower than the RMS (the part that actually matters for DC loads) depending on what method they use to sense it. I am out of town so I can't check how it reads with a fancy meter.

NSI Member

EB 832 Error After Hook an UPS

The key is the voltage output from the UPS. If it’s voltage is low or it is a modified sine wave output, it is less than ideal. The EB832 is just reading that voltage. Hence our recommendation to get a True RMS voltmeter and measure the output voltage from the UPS to have independent verification of the true voltage. Neptune isn’t responsible for low voltage output from a UPS, the EB832 is just reporting it.

Key point, you only really need true sine wave output if you are running AC pumps. The apex and EB832 will continue to run normally, just with a warning if the voltage is low.

Don

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    I’m not using AC Pumps, I’m using Apex WAV Pumps, Skimmer and Return DC Pumps.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeferson Stutz View Post
    I’m norm using AC Pumps, I’m using Apex WAV Pumps, Skimmer and Return DC Pumps.
    During power outage scheme...stepped voltage UPS are pure sine wave when they aren't running on battery, so AC or DC doesn't matter there. When they are on battery, stepped voltage UPS should not be used with AC motors but DC is fine.

Regular Vistor
    Hi Folks,

Let me bring this up again.

After some discussion with other Apex owners here and multi-meter tests at UPS output.

The problem is that the voltage in Brazil is 110volts and all UPS regulate the output to this voltage instead of US 115-120 (as far as I know). My friend called direct Apex phone support and they said Apex understand this is a low voltage.

They said this is not a real problem everything will work properly but only the error message will remain.

My point is if this is really true and would be great if Apex find a solution, I have not invested a lot of $ to have a voltage error 24 hours a day.

I really encourage Apex to take a look on this and find a solution. I bought my apex from an "official" dealer and if you guys want to sell your products overseas you at least have to investigate this before start selling.

Thanks

Jeferson - ReefTECH

Any voltage under 110 is actually a problem (assuming the voltage port is actually reading correctly compared to a calibrated multimeter). People often refer to the voltage in America as 110V too because utilities are allowed here to provide a voltage to the end user between 108V and 132V and many people ended up closer to the 110V side when they would check the wall voltage during residential peak load. Nominal voltage for North Americas is 120V and 127V in Brazil. I would chat with your Utility if you are seeing 110V with a calibrated meter.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

New User

Voltage error

I have the same error message new to this so what does this mean everything is working fine but stil i payed alot of money for this unit to monitor my tank im leavin on vacation and do not want to come home to nothin like all reefers we invest alot of money in this hobby

Quote Originally Posted by jkidd155 View Post
    I have the same error message new to this so what does this mean everything is working fine but stil i payed alot of money for this unit to monitor my tank im leavin on vacation and do not want to come home to nothin like all reefers we invest alot of money in this hobby
    Are you also in Brazil (a place where the EB832 is sold or not intended to be used), and using a UPS, and seeing 108 volts on the EB832 tile. No? Then your situation is not the same and you should post the full details of *your* specific situation so someone might actually be able to give you some meaningful advice.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    good evening,
    I'm in Brazil and facing the same problem.
    I plugged my EB832 bar into a nobreak pure 2,200VA sine wave.
    I have the error of 108v.
    is this serious?
    My region has a lot of oscillation and power outage, so it is prudent to use UPS to avoid flashing light.
    I am worried.