Thread: Apex Jr. vs. Apex Classic Upgrade Path for Nano

Apex User

Apex Jr. vs. Apex Classic Upgrade Path for Nano

So I have been running my Apex Classic for the last 8 years without a hitch. I recently purchased the Apex 2016 *brain* (not full) to upgrade my main tank. I also run an Apex Jr. in my nano. And now I will have the Apex classic as an extra...I wanted to run a breakout box on the Apex Jr., but I noticed I also would have to buy a PM1 to connect it to. If I use the Apex Classic on my nano, I would have to buy an EB4 or EB8 as my other EB8's are in use and then buy the breakout box.

I can't decide what to do. Any advice?

One option to consider is replacing an EB8 on the Apex (2016) system with an EB832, then move that EB8 to the Classic, then use the Classic to replace the Jr. Yep, that’s a more expensive option than either of the two you listed, but could be the best investment in the long term.

Adding a PM1 to the Jr just to get an I/O port is not a very cost-effective approach IMO. But if you also wanted to add pH measurement to the nano’s Jr, it would make more sense. But that’s still the least preferable approach IMO.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Apex User
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    One option to consider is replacing an EB8 on the Apex (2016) system with an EB832, then move that EB8 to the Classic, then use the Classic to replace the Jr. Yep, that’s a more expensive option than either of the two you listed, but could be the best investment in the long term.

Adding a PM1 to the Jr just to get an I/O port is not a very cost-effective approach IMO. But if you also wanted to add pH measurement to the nano’s Jr, it would make more sense. But that’s still the least preferable approach IMO.
    You have a very good point there! Didn't think of that. It'll be a hard pill to swallow at the moment, but in the long run, it'll pay off buying the EB832, especially with 1Link ports included in the EB832.