Thread: Variable Fan with DC24v?

New User

Variable Fan with DC24v?

Hi all,

I'm looking to use the DC24v outlets to run some fans in my canopy and some pointed at my sump to help with cooling.
    I'm wondering if I can control these outlets with variable programming based on temp, or are they only capable of just simply ON/OFF?

I've already looked into the eBay variable fans with temp probes, but I've ran out of 120v outlets, so I need to use the DC24v sockets.

PS. I also need to purchase DC24v to bare wire chord. Any idea where I can get it?

The DC24v ports are simply on/off. You would need separate control to interface with the 0-10v varspd ports to make them variable.

Can't you just purchase the DC24v to bare wire cable from teh link you provided?

New User
    Thanks for the insight!

How do I go about using the 0-10v ports? Is there a separate module/breakout box?

They’re out of stock on BRS and I need them asap. It’s getting pretty warm here in Boston and my chiller hasn’t arrived yet. To top it off, my AC isn’t working so I’m running house fans at the moment. Been meaning to mount fans permanently for some time though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have to have variable speed fans which are not common or easy to come by to use the 0-10V for control and these still need to be powered over 120V or 24V. If you can find them, the control signal would connect to one of your variable speed ports.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

New User
    Thanks for the info! I looked into this and it seems it's just not worth it.
    I guess I won't be going the variable route..
    I do have a box of 12v fans my friend pulled from a couple of IBM servers that went bad, so I guess I'll just use two of those per DC24v port and run them in series. This should do the trick.

Marine Depot happened to have those wires in stock, in case anyone else is in need..

Quote Originally Posted by TheArsalan View Post
    Thanks for the info! I looked into this and it seems it's just not worth it.
    I guess I won't be going the variable route..
    I do have a box of 12v fans my friend pulled from a couple of IBM servers that went bad, so I guess I'll just use two of those per DC24v port and run them in series. This should do the trick.

Marine Depot happened to have those wires in stock, in case anyone else is in need..
    Fans in series aren't a good idea. If they aren't perfectly matched, which they rarely are, you will overvolt one and undervolt the other, blow the one you overvolted and often blow the other one in the process. You need a step down DC-DC converter (buck).

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.