Thread: Optical Sensor Testing

Regular Vistor

Optical Sensor Testing

I have a ATK and I think one or maybe both of my optical sensors is out. Is there a way to test them rapidly? I want to put one underwater and see the switch close on Apex Fusion, but are they tied to my FMM and are only probed when the code written for my ATK allows it? i.e are the optical sensors independent of the code written and I should see them switch open and closed when i place them in and out of the water? Are they continuously monitored by Apex?

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by robram27 View Post
    I have a ATK and I think one or maybe both of my optical sensors is out. Is there a way to test them rapidly? I want to put one underwater and see the switch close on Apex Fusion, but are they tied to my FMM and are only probed when the code written for my ATK allows it? i.e are the optical sensors independent of the code written and I should see them switch open and closed when i place them in and out of the water? Are they continuously monitored by Apex?
    Hey

I’m really new here but I had similar issue. They are independent sensors. They will show up as new tiles available. Bring them down so you can see their state open/closed. Then submerge one and wait about 30 secs as fusion has a bit of a delay.

Mine had the low and high sensors mislabeled I just flipped them on FMM and plugged #1 sensor into #2 port on FMM and vise versa. Problem solved. Also make sure you plug in the 24v power supply for Pmup. I thought aquabus powers the FMM and PMUMP. Didn’t realize aquabus supply 12v and PMUP is 24v.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    Yeah, It was up and running smooth for 3 months and now I cannot get either of my sensors to change. I left for China, came back and my heaters are dead in the sump, Salinity is out of control and almost lost my sump pump. Love the way they say this thing has all kinda of redundancy, but from what I read they did not testing long term on the optical sensors. They seem to be failing left and right. If this were a serious product some folks would expect replacement parts automatically once they correct this issue. Really pissed off about this.

Frequent Visitor
    Yeah, It was up and running smooth for 3 months and now I cannot get either of my sensors to change. I left for China, came back and my heaters are dead in the sump, Salinity is out of control and almost lost my sump pump. Love the way they say this thing has all kinda of redundancy, but from what I read they did not testing long term on the optical sensors. They seem to be failing left and right. If this were a serious product some folks would expect replacement parts automatically once they correct this issue. Really pissed off about this.
    If you have not removed float valve then you have a mechanical failsafe and you should have gotten an error alarm from ATK to see what issue it’s having. You don’t have a flooded house so that means all the redundancies did their job. Redundancy isn’t to keep the unit working, it’s to prevent disastrous failures and alerting you when things go wrong with enough time to react.

If you have backup heater and primary dead I would look at better quality heaters and swap primary out for a new one and set and back up annually. That way you have less than 1 year old heater always as back up. Cost is minimal if you think about the potential failure.

There is a veeeery simple way to prevent something like that.

ATOstuck
    Set OFF
    If ATOlow OPEN Then ON
    Defer 240:00 Then ON

Email
    (Existing)
    If Output ATOstuck = ON Then ON

Even better is a low optical or float that shuts tour return off if sump level is below the return input.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    There is a veeeery simple way to prevent something like that.

ATOstuck
    Set OFF
    If ATOlow OPEN Then ON
    Defer 240:00 Then ON

Email
    (Existing)
    If Output ATOstuck = ON Then ON

Even better is a low optical or float that shuts tour return off if sump level is below the return input.

Hey Zombie

Is that a VO? Would you mind sharing your complete ATK code with any other advanced lines you have added? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by XLOR8T View Post
    Hey Zombie

Is that a VO? Would you mind sharing your complete ATK code with any other advanced lines you have added? Thanks

That is a VO. I don't have an ATK but used the optical sensors from my DOS.

Here is my detailed failsafe how-to-guide (a bit outdated as this was made before the when command existed) that has the code I used on my 125.

https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...-ATO-Failsafes

I also have my preliminary code for my new 65g system in this thread, but I haven't gotten around to finishing my ATO code an uploading many of the changes I have made to my code.

http://www.marinecolorado.org/thread...ted-65g.26305/

Regular Vistor
    My ATO did not come on! the float valve had nothing to do with anything. The optical sensors failed in the closed position so the ATO thought there was water in the sump.....there wasn't, so I ran a shallow sump, my heaters were exposed to air and not submerged. What I am asking is how do you plan for this type of failure? If the optical sensors die this ATO doesn't......ATO....Having two sensors fail seems strange.....

What I am asking is how do you plan for this type of failure? If the optical sensors die this ATO doesn't......ATO....Having two sensors fail seems strange.....
    See my previous post. I already answered how you plan for that using stuck switch detection. You should have also put an alarm in your email for when the high sensor was closed. At that point when you would have gotten emails for both and realized that your opticals were not reading correctly, you could have added a temporary OSC line at the end of the code to allow it to run and be protected by the float valve.

Regular Vistor
    Zombie, I saw your post last night and started in on the coding. This is the type of redundancy and checks I needed. Just didn't know it could be done. It's perfect. Thanks a million.