Thread: Please help, programing every other day for 12hrs that day

New User

Please help, programing every other day for 12hrs that day

HELLO ALL, I AM NEW, MY NAME IS CHRIS.
    THIS MIGHT SEEM SILLY TO DO, AND I KINDA AGREE BUT ITS HOW I HAVE BEEN DOING IT FOR 2YRS. SO I BOUGHT A CALCIUM REACTOR AND MY SETUP IS NOT DEMANDING ENOUGH TO RUN IT EVERYDAY OR OFF OF PH IN CHAMBER. BASICALLY MY ALK DEMAND IS .26 DKH EVERY DAY. IF I RUN MY REACTOR EVERY OTHER DAY FOR 12HRS IT KEEPS MY ALK AT 8.0, CALC AT 475, AND MAG At 1400. I have calc reactor hooked up to a pinpoint monitor and the solenoid to open up co2 is on the same outlet, so basically when I turn the solenoid on, it also turns on the pinpoint monitor, it is labeled as Pin2_3_4 on my dash, hooked up to my energy bar 8 on outlet 4. I have a 360gl(240gl are the 2displays, the rest is refugium and sump and water change barrel) system mixed with about 75 corals soft, lps, and some sps... I would like to program this outlet to turn on every other day from 10:00am till 10:00pm. I have it set to off and fallback off..Thanks

Please do not write in all uppercase. It is harder to read, and in online media it is often considered to be the equivalent of shouting.

It is not possible to do programming for every other day. It is possible to do programming based on the day of the week; the closest you can do to every other day with Day of Week based programming id for either 3 or 4 weekdays. Another possibility is to program the outlet to allow the solenoid & monitor to run for 6 hours every day, which is the same proportion of time (25%) as 12 hours every other day. This is much simpler than the DoW programming. Let us know which method you prefer and someone can assist with that programming.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

The proper method IME is to increase the pH setpoint and or decrease the effluent flow rather than running it for less than 24 hours a day.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

New User
    Thanks guys, sorry for the uppercase, no shouting implied..The thing with only running the reactor only six hours a day is that it takes a few hours for the ph to lower to around 7, which is when thw media starts to break down and release alk and calcium, well atleast thats my theory, so i believe that in this sense ,it would not be proportionate as far as 6hrs a day equals 12hrs every other day...i am going to try both methods though , thanks

Frequent Visitor
    Hello Supa,

For years I have run a CaRx on my 160 g display tank with a low demand for Alk (I have more fish than corals). I chose to run the CaRx 24x7 with the following considerations...
    1. I have used a small feed pump to have a constant drip rate from the Rx.
    2. I use an electronic CO2 bubble generator to have a constant CO2 bubble rate.
    3. Then using the pH probe, I have adjusted the pH setting to trigger the bubbler based on testing of the tank's Alk.

This process requires only one variable to adjust for control. And yet permits other adjustments should it become necessary (example adjusting the bubble rate because the pH control calls for constant bubbler on). I have found this to be a very solid solution over the years.

I have used the Apex to monitor CaRx pH without temp compensation and turn the outlet on/off for the bubbler control.