Thread: Apex Routinely Disconnects With Dedicated Ethernet Line

Apex Routinely Disconnects With Dedicated Ethernet Line

Okay, so I'm just going to copy and paste the bulk of a post from the Facebook Apex user group that I made. https://www.facebook.com/groups/3706...8333121004661/

Last night, my Apex disconnected from Fusion for the first time. It was unresponsive locally, but was still running, as far as I could tell (lights were being turned off on time, etc). I had to pull power from it completely (both via AquaBus and the aux power) to get it to restart. It came back online immediately. This morning, I woke up to it being offline again. Same story. Pull the power, it comes right back online.
    I'm not sure what is going on, but this is something that I need to get figured out pretty quickly. There's nothing on the network end that would be impeding it from getting to Fusion, and the lack of local connectivity (when everything else around it is still working) singles it out. It wouldn't respond to pings and I couldn't access the local web interface until I rebooted it. However, this morning, again, my lights were already starting to come on. Even though it was unresponsive over the network.
    Before anyone even asks, I've already troubleshooted the network. The device is directly connected to my core switch (Ubiquiti US-48) via a CAT6 run to my basement (which I tested with an ethernet tester this morning), and the switch is directly connected to my gateway (Ubiquiti USG-pro). There's no weird double NAT stuff going on. This thing is hardwired in, and there's nothing in it's way from accessing the Internet.
    Does anyone have any ideas? (I will be opening a ticket with Neptune as well)
    I do have a ticket currently open, and the support staff have been very little help so far. (Ticket 97266)

this has been a total headache, and I'm at a loss right now.

Frequent Visitor
    I was going to suggest you replace your network cable, but then I read you have a Ubiquiti switch as your core and a USG, I realized you already knew that I'm an IT Director so I picked right up on your setup. Can you reset the unit and try to configure WiFi to see if you can upgrade the AOS on the unit if it's not already done?

Quote Originally Posted by stre1026 View Post
    I was going to suggest you replace your network cable, but then I read you have a Ubiquiti switch as your core and a USG, I realized you already knew that I'm an IT Director so I picked right up on your setup. Can you reset the unit and try to configure WiFi to see if you can upgrade the AOS on the unit if it's not already done?
    I have actually already tried a different cable and a different switchport (on both my core and an access switch nearby). Iíve tried to do everything I possibly can to ensure that the issue is not on my end.

I am not currently near the unit, and itís disconnected (again. Itís getting to where itís doing it more and more frequently). However, I know that there was not an AOS update available, as I am currently running the latest version. I believe there is a backup and restore function in the local interface, and I have considered trying to wipe the unit completely clean and restoring the configuration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    That's what I would try. Perhaps there is something on it locking up the unit. I would also try singling out any modules that you may have. Could be one of them is causing the unit to lockup.

That's what I would try. Perhaps there is something on it locking up the unit. I would also try singling out any modules that you may have. Could be one of them is causing the unit to lockup.
    Unfortunately, there is practically zero logging that is done on the unit at a system level which would help me identify any issues like a module causing the unit to lock. At one point, a display module I had was shorting out the AquaBus completely, and has since been removed (That thin cable they use is crap). However, the module still exists within the configuration and has not been deleted. I wonder if that could be causing an issue?

I have looked through the logs from the switch that the unit is connected to, and it appears that the device is actually disconnecting and reconnecting on layer 2. It feels like something is crashing the network stack on the Apex. I will take a look at the modules, and see what I can come up with. I may just do a complete wipe and paste back in all of the required programming.

Frequent Visitor
    If it were me, I would try the full system wipe and run it without modules for a while and see what happens. Then back track from there.

Double check that you aren't using unsupported characters in outlet names (you can only use alphanumeric underscore and dash).

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

If it were me, I would try the full system wipe and run it without modules for a while and see what happens. Then back track from there.
    I have a call scheduled for tomorrow with Neptune support. Weíll see what they can come up with, and then Iíll go from there. Iím sure theyíll want me to send in my Apex if there is something wrong with it, and I doubt theyíll send me a replacement. Which means I would have to go several weeks without it, and I am not about to do that if I donít have to.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Double check that you aren't using unsupported characters in outlet names (you can only use alphanumeric underscore and dash).

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.
    No unsupported characters. Iím pretty particular about naming conventions.

Frequent Visitor
    I had a similar issue recently on a classic, it was also hardwired. I was told there was corruption in the base through a support ticket. A full wipe and reflash fixed it. Got a feeling you'll hear something similar after your call and trouble shooting.

If so, yes, it's a pita to reenter everything from scratch but it doesn't require the unit to be returned.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    One dumb question, but still worth asking: Is the Apex assigned a DHCP address or a static IP? Is it possible there is an IP address conflict? You can unplug the Apex, then ping its IP address to see if some other device still replies. I've seen this issue many times on other networks, like when someone plugs in a device elsewhere on the network that just happened to have a statically-assigned address that conflicts and took down other devices.

One other issue I ran into recently was a network loop caused by a Sonos streaming music system. Sonos speakers have ethernet ports, but also work wirelessly. If you have two Sonos speakers both hard-wired with ethernet cables, their wireless connection can then cause a network loop and take down other devices on the same switch unless Spanning Tree is configured properly on the switch to prevent loops.

Both of these issues may be a long shot, but always worth checking when there's no other logical explanation.

Good luck!

Frequent Visitor
    I forgot to mention that there was a recent thread with a member that narrowed down the corruption to their audio & email alarms. You could try turning them off and see if the disconnects stop happening.

You could also manually delete the Display module that is no longer connected. Any reference to audio alerts will not work without the display anyway. So deleting the module and clearing the associated code may help too.

Quote Originally Posted by SuncrestReef View Post
    One dumb question, but still worth asking: Is the Apex assigned a DHCP address or a static IP? Is it possible there is an IP address conflict? You can unplug the Apex, then ping its IP address to see if some other device still replies. I've seen this issue many times on other networks, like when someone plugs in a device elsewhere on the network that just happened to have a statically-assigned address that conflicts and took down other devices.
    The Apex is currently set to static, however, there is a DHCP reservation for the Apexís MAC address in case something screwy happens and it decides to revert to DHCP. That way, itíll always have the same address. Additionally, the address is outside of the DHCP pool. So, there isnít even the possibility of another device getting the same address unless itís also statically assigned.

One other issue I ran into recently was a network loop caused by a Sonos streaming music system. Sonos speakers have ethernet ports, but also work wirelessly. If you have two Sonos speakers both hard-wired with ethernet cables, their wireless connection can then cause a network loop and take down other devices on the same switch unless Spanning Tree is configured properly on the switch to prevent loops.
    I actually do have STP setup already because of the access switches and access points that I have hanging off of my core switch. Iíve experienced the loops before and put a stop to that real quick, lol.

Both of these issues may be a long shot, but always worth checking when there's no other logical explanation.

Good luck!
    Definitely great suggestions, and I really appreciate your effort to try and help troubleshoot. This is such an oddball issue.

Quote Originally Posted by anit77 View Post
    I forgot to mention that there was a recent thread with a member that narrowed down the corruption to their audio & email alarms. You could try turning them off and see if the disconnects stop happening.

You could also manually delete the Display module that is no longer connected. Any reference to audio alerts will not work without the display anyway. So deleting the module and clearing the associated code may help too.

I will have to try and find that thread. I havenít rebooted my Apex yet today, as I am waiting until I have their support on the phone to bring it back up. That way they have plenty of time in the system. However, I am probably going to delete the module. Iím trying not to make any changes right now.

I havenít deleted the module yet because I am going to solder a new USB cable to the display and hook it back up. I really like the display. The cable they send with it is just garbage.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Apocrathia View Post

I havenít deleted the module yet because I am going to solder a new USB cable to the display and hook it back up. I really like the display. The cable they send with it is just garbage.

Deleting it won't hurt anything. Actually its probably better to do that so they're no address conflicts when you do hook it back up. I've had more than one display listed when disconnecting and reconnecting it. It will always get the 1st address anyway so it won't be an issue if you add something in the mean time with it deleted.