Thread: Optical sensors and condensing humidity.RODI_F CLOSED

Frequent Visitor

Optical sensors and condensing humidity.RODI_F CLOSED

I have a problem with optical sensor at the top of my RODI tank. It turns off the solenoid valve to RODI supply for this tank. RO tank empty sensor open, then fill to full sensor closed. I also have a mechanical float switch that offers some backup for overfill/flood. The tank is basically sealed, except for a small hole that allows air in/out to prevent positive/negative pressure. My issue is that the full sensor gets condensing humidity on it that does not drip off. This causes the tank to register as "Full", even though it is empty. So the fill solenoid does not open to fill the tank and my ATO stops working because tank low is open. If I disturb/shake the tank, then the condensate on the sensor drips off and the tank fills completely and all is well. I'm considering a little paraffin or carnauba wax on the full sensor so the water drips off better. Anyone else have this problem or ways to solve it with programming?

ATO_Fill
    Fallback OFF
    If RODI_E OPEN Then ON (OS for empty)
    If ATO_On OPEN Then OFF (Breakout switch for ATO ON, only really open for maintenance, etc...)
    If
    RODI_F CLOSED
    Then OFF (Tank full, problem with condensing here)
    Defer 000:02 Then ON (prevent false low positive)
    Defer 001:00 Then OFF (can fill over
    RODI_F CLOSED
    for a minute, prevent false closed full positive, would take about 3 minutes before mechanical backup stopped RODI flow)
    When On > 080:00 Then OFF (Takes under this time to fill)

Is the sensor horizontal or pointing up?

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    It is horizontal. I have a sensor on my salt mix tank that does this also, but it's not a big deal because I trigger that to fill when home. The tanks get a lot of internal condensation, due to being in cool basement (I don't heat the water, which would make it worse).

If you have the magnetic mount, perhaps try pointing it up and see if that helps.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    It's a bulkhead type. Easiest/Safest experiment idea, I have some food grade paraffin wax. I think I will rub a bit on there and then gently buff it with a finger and microfiber towel.

Frequent Visitor
    Solved this finally a few weeks ago but let it run to make sure. The parafin wax helped, but didn't fix totally. I wanted to see logs of the Optical Sensor output but they don't have the ability so I created a VO based on it and logged that. After a short time I found that my PMUP to top off the tank with RODI was sometimes splashing water on the sensor from the anti-siphon hole in the line at the top of the tank. I moved/solved that and then found also when the fill tank with RODI solenoid activated the 90 PSI from the booster pump was often splashing off the triple backup mechanical float valve. I glued a little plastic spray shield onto part of the float valve and it has been perfect since. 3 days of logging sensor data and it was mostly obvious. I wanted to do it earlier but it took a while for me to realize I could create a VO that I could log instead of not being able to log the sensor itself.

New User
    Is there any way you can tell me how you have your optical sensor wired? how are you providing power to it? Are you using a relay?

Quote Originally Posted by tjiddy View Post
    Is there any way you can tell me how you have your optical sensor wired? how are you providing power to it? Are you using a relay?
    He is using an FMM.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk