Thread: Apex classic US using in UK

Regular Vistor

Apex classic US using in UK

Hello all, Ive just purchased myself an Apex classic from US and plan to use in UK.

The question I have is there any way to use 110v US in UK or 220v? All I would really need for now jut to stat off is to monitor remotely my ph, temp and gravity. So for now I don't really need EB6 to plug heater, pumps and so on. Is there anyway to go with out Energy Bar for now? Or would I still need basic converter 220v to 110v like 100w just to power USB monitor and other bits as it can not operate with out Energy Bar. Willing to swap EB6 for EU version of EB4 if it exists.

Thanks you very much.

The apex can run without a powerbar by using a 12V power supply directly into the head unit (neptune sells these or you can get one with similar specs elsewhere). With that said, you might as well just get a powerbar. As soon as you see what the apex is capable of when you can control in addition to just monitoring, you will end up getting one anyway and spending more in the long run.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    The apex can run without a powerbar by using a 12V power supply directly into the head unit (neptune sells these or you can get one with similar specs elsewhere). With that said, you might as well just get a powerbar. As soon as you see what the apex is capable of when you can control in addition to just monitoring, you will end up getting one anyway and spending more in the long run.

I knew you would reply your posts are usefull and helpfull all over forum as ive searched for solution.

So i can use 12v DC power supply similar spec and still able to monitor remotly all parameters?

Thabk you.

Quote Originally Posted by sertan View Post
    I knew you would reply your posts are usefull and helpfull all over forum as ive searched for solution.

So i can use 12v DC power supply similar spec and still able to monitor remotly all parameters?

Thabk you.
    Yes. The head unit is powered by 12V either from the aquabus from an energy bar, the 12V aux power supply, or both.

Regular Vistor
    Very helpfull. Thank you very much! Will have to invest for a eu version of EB.

Regular Vistor
    Have another question, bought myself step down from UK 240V to US 110V its 300w. Is it going to be sufficient to run 2 wavemakers 6.5w - 13w and9w - 23w plus a 150w heater say max 200w plus original apex classic equipment with probes? while i wait for eu version of EB6 to arrive.

Have another question, bought myself step down from UK 240V to US 110V its 300w. Is it going to be sufficient to run 2 wavemakers 6.5w - 13w and9w - 23w plus a 150w heater say max 200w plus original apex classic equipment with probes? while i wait for eu version of EB6 to arrive.
    The apex doesn't play nice with just a step down. It needs 60Hz on US equipment.

Regular Vistor
    The apex doesn't play nice with just a step down. It needs 60Hz on US equipment.

i know regards to the 60hz there is no way to convert 50hz to 60hz but from what i know this is not too big of a deal aslong as you have a steady flow of 110 getting to the unit.
    Most devices don't care about the difference between 50 and 60 hz. The main exceptions being some clocks which use the mains frequeny to track time and "white goods" appliances which use synchronous or induction motors whose speed is closely tied to frequency. Im just finding abit hard to imagine reason as to why EB6 would be having troubles. any way to explain justify please?

Just found on some forum that guy was using his unit with Step down for over a year with no trouble. Its temporary anyway until EU version comes in stock from my not so local store

Thanks.

i know regards to the 60hz there is no way to convert 50hz to 60hz but from what i know this is not too big of a deal aslong as you have a steady flow of 110 getting to the unit.
    Most devices don't care about the difference between 50 and 60 hz. The main exceptions being some clocks which use the mains frequeny to track time and "white goods" appliances which use synchronous or induction motors whose speed is closely tied to frequency. Im just finding abit hard to imagine reason as to why EB6 would be having troubles. any way to explain justify please?

Just found on some forum that guy was using his unit with Step down for over a year with no trouble. Its temporary anyway until EU version comes in stock from my not so local store

Thanks.
    From what I have heard, it's the 12V power supply, which powers the head unit, that doesn't play nice.

Regular Vistor
    From what I have heard, it's the 12V power supply, which powers the head unit, that doesn't play nice.

Oh i see, thank you for prompt reply, ill have to lock in to it..