Thread: Comp Ref Manual - Chapter 9 Virtual Outlet Question

Frequent Visitor

Comp Ref Manual - Chapter 9 Virtual Outlet Question

On page 113 of the "Apex Comprehensive Reference Manual" it states in chapter 9 - Virtual Outlets, in the "Creating a Virtual Outlet" topic, bullet point 4:

4. Control Addresses are used to setup legacy modules and X10 but they can also impact you when defining virtual outlets. When you enter a starting address like ‘A1’ the system will increment from there based on how many outlet addresses that module has. Valid control addresses are A1 – A16, B1 – B16, C1 – C16 and D1 – D8. That’s a total of 56. The system will skip control addresses that already exist. If you add 8 virtual outlets using a DC8 module beginning at A1 then later try to add another DC8 at A1 you will find that no new outlets are created. That’s because all the control addresses are duplicated. The proper way would be to have the second EB8 start at address ‘A9’ and increment from there.

My first question about this statement is: What is a "Legacy Module and X10"?

My second question is: I currently have 2 EB8's connected to my Apex. I wanted to add a 3rd virtual EB8. The above statement regarding valid control addresses indicate that if you don't chose an unused control address, no new outlets are created. So my question is: How do I know which control address are attributed to the 2 EB8's that I currently have and are connected to my Apex system. When I try and add a new virtual EB8, the auto inputted control address is A1. Does this mean that A1 is available (see pic below). Or would I start at B1 because the 2 EB8's that I currently have connected would use A1-A8 for the first EB8 and A9-A16 for the second EB8?

Apex Add Module.png

Thank you,
    Tom G

Frequent Visitor
    Well, I tried to add an EB8 in "Module Setup" and it did not create an additional EB8. My guess was that the control addresses A1-A8 were already used and was the reason that an EB8 was not created.
    This prompted me to look deeper into my configuration and on my Dashboard I found the following which I did not create and do not know how they were created or what they control:

Apex Dashboard Virtual Outlet.png

Would these switches indicate that there is a virtual EB8 already created? My guess is that if this is true, these virtual outlets were somehow pulled in with the 2nd EB8 that I purchased used from another Reefer. Is this even possible? If it is possible and my assumption is true, would using these outlets be something that I could use to control a multiple of functions like an automatic water change? One odd thing in all of this is that these switches do not show up on Fusion. So if they don't show up on Fusion, would I only be able to control them on the Classic Dashboard?

The ones ending in A1-A8 are virtual outlets.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    The ones ending in A1-A8 are virtual outlets.

So am I correct in my thinking that, when I tried to create an EB8 and had the "start control address" starting at A1 a new module was not created because the address was a duplication? Conversely, if I were to attempt to make another virtual EB8 and use A9 as the start, a new EB8 will populate on my module list?

Quote Originally Posted by tom39 View Post
    So am I correct in my thinking that, when I tried to create an EB8 and had the "start control address" starting at A1 a new module was not created because the address was a duplication? Conversely, if I were to attempt to make another virtual EB8 and use A9 as the start, a new EB8 will populate on my module list?
    Yep, though starting at A9 would only give you 7 if I remember correctly. I'm pretty sure control addresses max out at 15 for each letter.

Frequent Visitor
    Additionally, while I was on the dashboard page I found additional switches and I don't know what they do (in pic I have identified a group of switches in a RED ​box. )

Switches ATO_5_ to Swx5_6, are on my PM1 and are being used as my ATO using a Avast Marine pressure switch.

Switches Swx4_1 to Swx4_4 are on my ADL module (to date, I do not have any sensors hooked to the ADL)

The mystery switches are: sw1 to sw6. Do you have any idea on how I would go about finding out what these switches are associated with?

Apex Dashboard Switches.png

Those are the switches built into the head unit. They show up whether you have a BOB connected or not.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Those are the switches built into the head unit. They show up whether you have a BOB connected or not.

Perfect!

Thank you for all of your help, I really appreciate it.

Tom G

Regular Vistor
    NewB here .. on page 113 of reference manual, "Creating a Virtual Outlet All physical outlets are created when a physical module is added to the AquaBus. Virtual outlets are no different – you add a virtual module and get virtual outlets as a result. To add a virtual module, you use the Configuration → Module Setup page"

I seem to be unable to get to the "module set up page" to create virtual outlets? If I go to the Apex drop down list, click on Configuration and select "Module", all I get is a list of my modules ... where am I messing up ..

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by perjonas View Post
    NewB here .. on page 113 of reference manual, "Creating a Virtual Outlet All physical outlets are created when a physical module is added to the AquaBus. Virtual outlets are no different – you add a virtual module and get virtual outlets as a result. To add a virtual module, you use the Configuration → Module Setup page"

I seem to be unable to get to the "module set up page" to create virtual outlets? If I go to the Apex drop down list, click on Configuration and select "Module", all I get is a list of my modules ... where am I messing up ..

I am certainly not an expert and as you can see from this thread, I am learning myself. But as I understand it, at the "Module Setup" screen, you will choose either the Direct Connect 8 or 4. The DC 8 will provide 8 virtual outlets and the DC4 will provide you with 4 virtual outlets, I am not sure what the AquaSurf or Lunar Simulator create.

Next, you would choose the Start Control Address, click add Module and this should provide you with virtual outlets which will show up on your dashboard.

HIH,
    Tom G

Switch List.png

Regular Vistor
    Hi Tom G ... thank you for your quick reply .. my current problem is that I cannot seem to figure out how to get to the module setup page .. either via Fusion or logging in directly to the controller?

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by perjonas View Post
    Hi Tom G ... thank you for your quick reply .. my current problem is that I cannot seem to figure out how to get to the module setup page .. either via Fusion or logging in directly to the controller?
    When I program my Apex which is the Classic controller, I do it through the Classic Web page which I access by typing in my Apex IP address in the internet search bar. This will bring up a sign in page where I can log into my Apex with my user name and password. Once logged in it will take me directly to my Apex Dashboard where you will find the Module Setup page
    You can find your Apex IP address from your display - Main Menu / System / Net Setup / IP Address

If you are already at the Classic Web page, then you will choose from the drop down buttons at the top of the page - Configuration / Module Setup

HIH,
    Tom

Perjonas, the process is easier in the Apex 2016 than the Apex Classics. Here is a screenshot from the Get Started guide:

You can do it though Apex Local or APEX Fusion.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.