Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Heater 'Stuck' in on position

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by anit77 View Post
    Have you tried this above?

If you plug something else into that outlet like a simple light and set it manually on and off (not auto) and the light turns on and off then there's nothing wrong with the relay in the EB.

After trying the above recommendation and there's still a problem and you know the relay is good then there must be some corruption in the base. Have you added anything new or done any different programming before this started?

The way to correct corruption is to factory reset by memory init all in misc settings, reflash the firmware & webpages and then reprogramming everything from scratch. This should be a last resort. You should start a ticket with Neptune immediately.

Lastly do you have a backup heater with a thermostat? If not do you have a local reefer friend that can loan you one?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    He has multiple inputs named Temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Yea, I edited my post... those replies came while I was typing...

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by vhuang168 View Post
    So the answer to my previous question was yes.

You have 2 inputs named TEMP.

Where is your temp probe connected to?

Change the other one to something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The probe lead go's into the main Apex module (one with ethernet, PH etc) as its been from day 1.

With regards the different inputs I just noticed this on the classic page however Ive now disabled these and just have the TEMP-Tmp one enabled now.
    I have turned the heater off now and the temperature is dropping which proves the output is OK?

Frequent Visitor
    Yes, the problem was the multiple inputs with the same name. If there's a module added that has the available temp probe activated in the software but there is no probe attached that input will usually show a reading that is very low. This caused a conflict.

This situation is also why you need redundancy, not only to protect against an issue with the Apex but to also protect you from yourself. I can't tell you how many times redundancies have saved me from my own errors, especially when I 1st started out.

Get a thermostat asap. Also check your system for other areas where you may be lacking. Your ATO for instance.

Regular Vistor
    Yes, the problem was the multiple inputs with the same name. If there's a module added that has the available temp probe activated in the software but there is no probe attached that input will usually show a reading that is very low. This caused a conflict.

This situation is also why you need redundancy, not only to protect against an issue with the Apex but to also protect you from yourself. I can't tell you how many times redundancies have saved me from my own errors, especially when I 1st started out.

Get a thermostat asap. Also check your system for other areas where you may be lacking. Your ATO for instance.

But I have not added or changed anything so those other 'names' would have always been there which is what is so confusing. I dont tinker with the settings hardly at all part from setting up feeders for when I go away. So I have switched the heater back on. Its now 26.8 but still no email alarm and still showing as 'On' which it should not be if my 'OFF' value is 26.0

Frequent Visitor
    After disabling the other two temp inputs did you restart the Apex?

Regular Vistor
    After disabling the other two temp inputs did you restart the Apex?

Yes, temperature now gone up to 27

Frequent Visitor
    In the outlet what is the Probe Name listed as?

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by redseareg View Post
    Yes, temperature now gone up to 27
    I have named it 'HEAT' for the tile but in the configurations its 'TEMP'

Frequent Visitor
    The default names for the inputs are the names after the hyphens as shown in the input page.

So the temp port on the PM2 should have been Tmpx5 and the base port is always Tmp.

As I mentioned, you have to change the names.

Regular Vistor
    The default names for the inputs are the names after the hyphens as shown in the input page.

So the temp port on the PM2 should have been Tmpx5 and the base port is always Tmp.

As I mentioned, you have to change the names.
    Please accept my apologies but that has gone straight over my head. I am only confident in making simple changes so the different ports you are stating is very confusing to me. Are these on the classic page you are referring to? Im on that now. My setting is Probe/Input - TEMP-Tmpx5 & the probe name is TEMP. The 'Offset' is -9 (whatever that is)

Frequent Visitor
    On a classic, you can only make changes to the inputs from the classic dashboard.

Change the name on the ports you do not want named Temp.

TempCapture.PNG

Regular Vistor
    IMG_3973.jpgIMG_3972.jpgIMG_3971.jpg
    On a classic, you can only make changes to the inputs from the classic dashboard.

Change the name on the ports you do not want named Temp.

TempCapture.PNG
    You mention 'Ports' but I cant see that from your shot...this is what I have...which one is right & which one is wrong?

Frequent Visitor
    Tmp is the temp port on the base unit.

Temp is the temp port on the pm2 as evidenced by its Tmpx5 which is the default name.

If your probe in on the base unit, you need to change your programming to correspond to Tmp and NOT Temp.

Regular Vistor
    Tmp is the temp port on the base unit.

Temp is the temp port on the pm2 as evidenced by its Tmpx5 which is the default name.

If your probe in on the base unit, you need to change your programming to correspond to Tmp and NOT Temp.
    Yes, its on the base unit (always has been). Ive now updated Fusion to this (it wasn't showing previously as Tmp) and now the heater is showing as 'OFF'. Ive also changed the email alert to 'Tmp' rather than 'TEMP and received an email alert immediately.

Dare I say it all looks good and I cannot thank all enough for their assistance and response. Hopefully I can now relax for what remains of the day!

Regular Vistor
    Yes, its on the base unit (always has been). Ive now updated Fusion to this (it wasn't showing previously as Tmp) and now the heater is showing as 'OFF'. Ive also changed the email alert to 'Tmp' rather than 'TEMP and received an email alert immediately.

Dare I say it all looks good and I cannot thank all enough for their assistance and response. Hopefully I can now relax for what remains of the day!
    Temperature now dropping so I certainly think it did the trick

Frequent Visitor
    Hopefully I can now relax for what remains of the day!
    And get a Heater Controller ordered online while you relax. Or buy one locally tomorrow.

Regular Vistor
    And get a Heater Controller ordered online while you relax. Or buy one locally tomorrow.

On it...thank you both once again

Even though you have this figured out, I highly recommend that you replace this heater with two smaller ones with a built in thermostat set a degree above the apex. This will prevent livestock loss in the event of a failure like the temp probe gets unplugged or an outlet fails in the ON position.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Even though you have this figured out, I highly recommend that you replace this heater with two smaller ones with a built in thermostat set a degree above the apex. This will prevent livestock loss in the event of a failure like the temp probe gets unplugged or an outlet fails in the ON position.

Thats acknowledged and thanks for your input. Just to clarify, buy 2 new heaters both with built in thermostats. Are they both set at the same temperature (above the Apex)?
    Can you programme two outlets both with the same name or call them 'Heater 1 & Heater 2" sorry for what may be mundane questions but I cant have another day like today

Frequent Visitor
    Since we're on redundancy with the problem resolved.

You have a pm2 with the available temp probe port. Why not order a temp probe for it and put the probe in your sump then set a high and low temp alert for it? Just another layer of security.

Frequent Visitor
    Yes, you must have them named different.

Thats acknowledged and thanks for your input. Just to clarify, buy 2 new heaters both with built in thermostats. Are they both set at the same temperature (above the Apex)?
    Can you programme two outlets both with the same name or call them 'Heater 1 & Heater 2" sorry for what may be mundane questions but I cant have another day like today
    The best way is to do a code like this so it's highly resistant to failures and heaters last longer

Heater1
    Fallback OFF
    If Temp < 78.0 Then ON
    If Temp > 78.2 Then OFF
    If Time 00:00 to 11:59 Then OFF
    If Temp < 77.8 Then ON
    If Temp < 75.0 Then OFF

Heater2
    Fallback ON
    If Temp < 78.0 Then ON
    If Temp > 78.2 Then OFF
    If Time 12:00 to 23:59 Then OFF
    If Temp < 77.8 Then ON

Under normal circumstances they alternate every 12 hours. If one isnt able to keep up, they both run together. In the event of a temp probe failure only heater 2 can run, which slows temp climb and keeps it reasonable.

Regular Vistor
    Since we're on redundancy with the problem resolved.

You have a pm2 with the available temp probe port. Why not order a temp probe for it and put the probe in your sump then set a high and low temp alert for it? Just another layer of security.

Good idea, thank you

Frequent Visitor
    What I do is set them a 0.2 degrees F apart for the low end and swap them every six months. I like your method Zombie, I may give it a try.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast