Thread: Large capacity batter and UPS

Frequent Visitor

Large capacity batter and UPS

So I have been looking at UPS options to power the apex and essentials. I have picked up a 65AH battery which I will direct wire to the MP40s their own fused cables to use DC power. I was thinking of gutting an old UPS and hooking the larger battery in place of the old small battery. Or even a newer small UPS.

So the wattage rating on these units, is it for batter backup purpose or running on AC power.

Essentially at max everything let’s say apex power bar will have 1200W, can I use a 500VA UPS and replace the battery or do I need to get a 1500VA rated for 1000W to make sure it runs ok when not under batter back up?

I thought about just using a 1000w inverter straight from battery but then I need a super powered battery charge to make sure when it’s running off battery it can feed the power bar.

I’m open to any suggestions. I have a generator but I want to make sure I have 12-18hrs of return pump, mp40s and 1 heater to have enough buffer time for short power outages and enough time to get home and get generator going for longer outages.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need a 2000VA if you have 1200W in the energy bar. 1500VA is only good for 900W.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    You need a 2000VA if you have 1200W in the energy bar. 1500VA is only good for 900W.

What I’m trying to figure out is the 900w a limit on battery power or regular operation. Under battery power with Apex I’ll be down to 350W max when heater is running.

I just want to make sure the Ups won’t have issues having the apex draw 1200 when it’s running normally.

Quote Originally Posted by XLOR8T View Post
    What I’m trying to figure out is the 900w a limit on battery power or regular operation. Under battery power with Apex I’ll be down to 350W max when heater is running.

I just want to make sure the Ups won’t have issues having the apex draw 1200 when it’s running normally.

It's under any circumstance.

Frequent Visitor

Do you really need the heater?

They use so much power, flow and dosing are so much more important in a power failure. Do you have a fireplace if it gets cold?

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Garron View Post
    Do you really need the heater?

They use so much power, flow and dosing are so much more important in a power failure. Do you have a fireplace if it gets cold?
    My battery will have enough power and yes there’s a fireplace in the house. My challenge from what I gather from zombie’s post is when I’m running off of AC power. It means I need a big UPS just to run my daily operation through the ups just to have the emergency backup when the power goes out. The alternative is to just run Apex unit off the battery along with the power heads and manually switch the power bar over to the inverter.

I re did my math. If I get the power heads off the power bar and the AI primes too and just keep the future t5s on the bar and the fuge light would be on opposite schedule so don’t need to account for its power. That gets my regular max usage down to around 900W. And I can use a 1500VA UPS. And of that 250 would be the secondary heater that kicks in if temp drops more than 0.3 degrees to help the first heater get temp back up quicker.

The last option I’ve thought of is no UPS. Just a separate 1 link unit plugged into an inverter off the battery and out my COR pump and future DOS units on it.

I’m open to suggestions. What are you guys doing for backup?

Frequent Visitor
    My battery will have enough power and yes there’s a fireplace in the house. My challenge from what I gather from zombie’s post is when I’m running off of AC power. It means I need a big UPS just to run my daily operation through the ups just to have the emergency backup when the power goes out. The alternative is to just run Apex unit off the battery along with the power heads and manually switch the power bar over to the inverter.

I re did my math. If I get the power heads off the power bar and the AI primes too and just keep the future t5s on the bar and the fuge light would be on opposite schedule so don’t need to account for its power. That gets my regular max usage down to around 900W. And I can use a 1500VA UPS. And of that 250 would be the secondary heater that kicks in if temp drops more than 0.3 degrees to help the first heater get temp back up quicker.

The last option I’ve thought of is no UPS. Just a separate 1 link unit plugged into an inverter off the battery and out my COR pump and future DOS units on it.

I’m open to suggestions. What are you guys doing for backup?

My main pump, one tunze, apex and dosing pump are on the ups. The apex shuts off all heaters, lights, and additional tunze pump during a power failure . My system can run like this for 9 hours. After I would switch to my portable generator.

there is a power point Russ made about ups setup with an apex, it is very helpful
    Last edited by Garron; 05-21-2018 at 05:16. Reason: correction

Frequent Visitor
    My main pump, one tunze, apex and dosing pump are on the ups. The apex shuts off all heaters, lights, and additional tunze pump during a power failure . My system can run like this for 9 hours. After I would switch to my portable generator.

there is a power point Russ made about ups setup with an apex, it is very helpful
    Would you happen to have a link for that?

So are you running two separate power bars ? Or running the ups stuff not on apex.

Thx

Frequent Visitor
    Would you happen to have a link for that?

So are you running two separate power bars ? Or running the ups stuff not on apex.

Thx

use this link

my setup is the last one

https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...n-at-MACNA2013

Frequent Visitor
    use this link

my setup is the last one

https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...n-at-MACNA2013
    Thanks.

Frequent Visitor

Large capacity batter and UPS

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    It's under any circumstance.

Would something like this charging my battery and 1000w inverter feeding off
    The batter basically cover me?

The 1500VA UPS I’m finding run on two batteries so I assume it’s a 24v system so I can’t gut it to put one 12v 65AH battery in.

I don’t want to spend thousands on UPS big enough to do what I want.

https://www.amazon.ca/BLACK-DECKER-B.../dp/B00KNMKRU8

Would something like this charging my battery and 1000w inverter feeding off
    The batter basically cover me?

The 1500VA UPS I’m finding run on two batteries so I assume it’s a 24v system so I can’t gut it to put one 12v 65AH battery in.

I don’t want to spend thousands on UPS big enough to do what I want.

https://www.amazon.ca/BLACK-DECKER-B.../dp/B00KNMKRU8

Won't save you any money going charger and inverter. If you go that route, you need a pure sine wave inverter which is not cheap. If you want super capacity, just get another 65Ah batter and run them in series if the UPS is 24V. I would go with the APC backups 1500 personally since you don't need to cut anything, just need to make a cable harness.