Thread: Flow Sensor Install Location

New User

Flow Sensor Install Location

My return line is setup to run a manifold, and it splits off right away as it exits my sump. Where should I place my flow sensor to get a good idea of the flow leaving my sump? Not sure on the physics here, but if I had two of them, and placed one on each end of the split, could I add those together to get the total flow into the tank? If I use just one, could I put it in the end with the manifold (which will likely be the flower of the two lines) and multiply that number by two to get a rough, lowball estimate?

NSI Member
    Best would be one before the split. If you cannot fit it there, you'd need one on each of the lines that goes to the tank.

Frequent Visitor
    Either way would work, but the easier and cheaper would be just prior to the Y

After the split will tell you what is going to the tank. Before the split will tell you how much the pump is delivering.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

New User
    The only place I can fit it is after the split. If I only was able to use one, would putting it on the end after the manifold and multiplying the flow by two give me a decent lowball estimate?

Quote Originally Posted by iemsparticus View Post
    The only place I can fit it is after the split. If I only was able to use one, would putting it on the end after the manifold and multiplying the flow by two give me a decent lowball estimate?
    No. You measure the manifold flow by timing how long it takes to fill a known volume container. The flow reading after the split is how much is going into the tank at any time. The pump flow can be approximated by these equations.

Pump flow during initial reading

Flow = manifold + meter = multiplier * meter

If Flow changes, figure out the multiplier and multiply the current flow by that. They should ramp together fairly linearly.

New User
    Here is a diagram of my return plumbing, just so everything is clear:

Return Line Diagram.png
    My reason for wanting to get the flow reading is that I am converting over to the Triton method, and I need to measure my sump turnover. I'm not interested in the flow my return pump is putting out, per se, but what is going into my tank, and therefore, what is returning to my tank and through my sump.

With one flow sensor, what would be the best way to do this?

Here is a diagram of my return plumbing, just so everything is clear:

Return Line Diagram.png
    My reason for wanting to get the flow reading is that I am converting over to the Triton method, and I need to measure my sump turnover. I'm not interested in the flow my return pump is putting out, per se, but what is going into my tank, and therefore, what is returning to my tank and through my sump.

With one flow sensor, what would be the best way to do this?
    Like I said, putting after the split (closer to the tank) gives you the total flow going through the tank AKA turnover.

New User
    Oh ok so even if I have 1 sensor on one side, the reading will still give me the total volume turnover? Seems like it would only give me “half,” but I’m not up on the physics behind it, which is why I’m asking.

Would it matter if I put it where it is in the picture, or on the other side (without the manifold)?

Perhaps this will help explain it better.

New User
    I get that perfectly... but since I have two different return lines, not just one, that’s where I am stuck. Given two return lines, will measuring just one of them give me sump turnover?

Frequent Visitor
    Why not put a flow meter in the return line itself? Turn the valve off to the manifold then you have your approximate flow. Open the valve to the manifold and you'll see the drop.

I have my main pump split right away as well. I feed the main return, a frag tank and a manifild too. Sensors are, 2" in the return line to display and 1" to the frag tank.

The flow through the manifold is minimal and I don't believe should be counted for Triton. It's turnover of your display through the sump that matters, correct?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    I see you have 2 return lines. Didn't see that stated in the op.

I get that perfectly... but since I have two different return lines, not just one, that’s where I am stuck. Given two return lines, will measuring just one of them give me sump turnover?
    Just looked at your diagrams (pic links break for me on tapatalk so I didn't look at them on my previous response). The flow will not be evenly split between the two lines. How close they are is dependent on the head of each pipe, which is super complex. Use a variation on my earlier suggestion except replace manifold with return #2 line to get a good multiplier. If one side happens to clog, The multiplier won't be valid, but it will be valid under normal circumstances. If return #2 clogs, flow will increase noticeably, and if return #1 clogs it will decrease substantially.

Frequent Visitor
    Is two meters out of the question? One on each return? Depending on what is going on with the manifold, it may not be significant enough to unbalance your sump turnover relative to the tank turnover. I am looking at two for my tank as well, one for my primary return and another for my secondary return, which includes my UV. I have carbon and GFO on my manifold but I am not concerned with those flowrates. I am not doing the Triton method, but if I were and I needed to know my sump flowrate, I would be comfortable discounting their flows. As Zombie suggested, if it is very important to have it exact, then use a container of known volume and note the time required to fill the container. In my case, they are BRS reactos and I would probably just assume 100 gph each if it is really needed to be accounted for.

New User
    Two aren’t out of the question per se, but it would require me to get another module, and I’d really rather not add yet another module to my rack. I don’t care if it is absolutely precise, I just need it to be a ballpark estimate.

Right now a Skimmer is the only thing on the manifold, but I will be hooking up a dual BRS reactor to handle carbon/gfo as needed.

Frequent Visitor
    Then if you have a valve on the manifold if you shut it you will get a good idea what the total flow is. Then you can note the drop when you open the valve. And know what approx is going to the skimmer and any future additions to the manifold, the rest is going to the tank.

You will then also start seeing the drop on the sensor in over time and know when the pump needs cleaning.

Frequent Visitor
    How many drain lines do you have? If it’s single main drain, you could put it on the drain and that should give you your total turnover. I was going to install mine there on the Red Sea Reefer but the total length of sensor and unions and the adjustment valve would put part of my sensor under water so it was a no go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New User
    I use a Bean Animal system, so that doesn’t really work.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by XLOR8T View Post
    How many drain lines do you have? If it’s single main drain, you could put it on the drain and that should give you your total turnover. I was going to install mine there on the Red Sea Reefer but the total length of sensor and unions and the adjustment valve would put part of my sensor under water so it was a no go.

I would be hesitant to try this or recomend it. If you get a clog on the drain line at the sensor, but your pump is still puming, you will overflow the tank, which depending on your setup may initiate your ATO...double whammy!

When the sensor is on the return, the pump will choke back due to the obstruction. No overflow. If you have a high level fliat, you would even get a notification.

The unknown here is the internal construction of the flow meter itself and how likely it is to clog when acting under gravity. Perhaps Zombie can fill us in on that.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by clsanchez77 View Post
    I would be hesitant to try this or recomend it. If you get a clog on the drain line at the sensor, but your pump is still puming, you will overflow the tank, which depending on your setup may initiate your ATO...double whammy!

When the sensor is on the return, the pump will choke back due to the obstruction. No overflow. If you have a high level fliat, you would even get a notification.

The unknown here is the internal construction of the flow meter itself and how likely it is to clog when acting under gravity. Perhaps Zombie can fill us in on that.
    If the main drain clogs the emergency drain takes over and with apex you would have programming that should Flow sensor cease to stop return and notify you. If anything it’s a safety line should your main clog you would find out rather than be surprised. Also be able to notice major flow drops with partial clog.

But yes I do see your logic for a system without proper failsafes.

That isnt very accurate. The bubbles mess with the reading fairly substantially.

Frequent Visitor
    If the main drain clogs the emergency drain takes over and with apex you would have programming that should Flow sensor cease to stop return and notify you. If anything it’s a safety line should your main clog you would find out rather than be surprised. Also be able to notice major flow drops with partial clog.

But yes I do see your logic for a system without proper failsafes.

True. I run mine open without the emergency drain configuration though as its the proprietary mega-flo durso setup.

Then as Zombie mentioned, you still have the bubbles inherent to all gravity drains and just general detritus, that may not necessarily “clog” the drain but would still interfere with the meter.