Thread: Replumbing COR15 need help

Frequent Visitor

Replumbing COR15 need help

So when I setup my cor 15 I used the 1 1/4 union, reduced and 3/4 ID barb then used 1” ID vinyl tubing to connect to my return line barb on the Red Sea 525 assuming not using the two 90s would give me better flow. I’m running the pump 100% (tried with stock return output but now using vivid aquatics and flow splitter) no tangible flow difference as I didn’t have to adjust my drain valve)

The 1% feed mode still flows water to display and wanted a true stop of flow without shutting pump off. Searched and found a thread here suggesting a T and valve to have small flow from manifold into sump so at 1% the flow there would stop flow into display.

So I decided build manifold off the pump and continue with soft tubing. Quickly realized the height means I have to use a 90 elbow barb to make it work. AND now I need a new union as the other is useless.

So 2 questions.

1.Should I just go hard plumb to just below the return barb and use 4” soft tubing to mate them and also prevent vibration

2.If I used the provided 3/4 slip and use all 3/4 fittings. Am I making a difference in flow? How much am I losing?

I was trying to go as far as I could with 1 1/4 before reducing to the 3/4 going into the display tank to maximize flow. I don’t understand fluid dynamic well enough to know if that’s the right theory.

Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor

Replumbing COR15 need help

Here’s a pic of the existing line

Using a very gradual bend in the flex tubing to get to return connection. Sorry I don’t have a better picture now.

Edit: here’s another picture

I would hard plumb.

I would also fix the skimmer

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    I would hard plumb.

I would also fix the skimmer

It’s new and breaking in. I just installed a new varios DC pump on the SRO2000 cuz the bubble blaster was so loud I could hear it in my bedroom at night. The varios pump is smaller body so now I have to build something for under the pump body so it doesn’t hang from the skimmer union. Think of using foam.

Should I hard plum 1.25 and reduce at return connection or use 3/4 or 1” to keep fittings smaller. Is there a gain by using 1.25 to reduce head pressure of 90 elbows ?

Thanks!!

1.25 doesn't make much difference. I would use 1" so it's easy to cut in a flow meter later when you inevidently decide you want one.

Frequent Visitor
    1.25 doesn't make much difference. I would use 1" so it's easy to cut in a flow meter later when you inevidently decide you want one.

Well I went through hell, ordered the parts from Neptune and re did plumbing in 1” and took your advice and just threw the flow meter on too.

1. The flow hard plumbing is lower than soft tube since I had to remove my vivid random flow generators and dial my main drain valve back to get water level up.

2. Damn cor15 is only giving me 430GPH. 2 90s, 5ft up and 1 90 on the Red Sea return line which is actually 1/2”. I think that’s poor design. I was hoping for 600+ ideally 800 since I’m thinking triton method. I don’t want to switch out of Neptune pumps but I don’t think cor20 will cover that gap. Wish someone could tell me that definitively before I go and change equipment.

3, the T to leave slightly open to cause stall at 1” is a total fail. I had to have it fully open to achieve that effect and under full power it dropped overall flow by over 100gph, I’m thinking a Solenoid to open and close that line on feed mode but I think 1/4” is too restrictive and won’t flow enough to stall the return. So back to more research to figure out what to do.

Something sounds off there. I would expect 800-900 gph in that scenario. Did you make sure to configure the flow sensor as a 1" and make sure the arrow is pointing the right direction.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Something sounds off there. I would expect 800-900 gph in that scenario. Did you make sure to configure the flow sensor as a 1" and make sure the arrow is pointing the right direction.

Yes firmware up to date, flow direction correct, pump running at true 100%. No obstruction or strainer on the intake.

Could something be wrong with the pump? Just feels really underwhelming to get 430GPH flow from a dedicated return pump rated at 1500gph.

Something is definitely up there but I don't know if it's a misreading by the flow sensor or a problem with the pump. If I run the head loss calculation using a mag12 (which is a 1200 gph with the same max head) I get 826 gph, so I would expect closer to 900 gph. If there is a way for you to direct the flow into a bucket of known volume and time it, you could at least determine if the flow sensor is misreading or if the pump is really running that slow.

Frequent Visitor
    Something is definitely up there but I don't know if it's a misreading by the flow sensor or a problem with the pump. If I run the head loss calculation using a mag12 (which is a 1200 gph with the same max head) I get 826 gph, so I would expect closer to 900 gph. If there is a way for you to direct the flow into a bucket of known volume and time it, you could at least determine if the flow sensor is misreading or if the pump is really running that slow.

I’ll use a 3/4 hose from my return head tomorrow to a 5gal bucket and time it.

Quote Originally Posted by XLOR8T View Post
    I’ll use a 3/4 hose from my return head tomorrow to a 5gal bucket and time it.

When you do so, make sure the height the tubing exits is as close as possible to where it exits your tank to ensure accuracy and have a helper hold the bucket up there.

Frequent Visitor
    When you do so, make sure the height the tubing exits is as close as possible to where it exits your tank to ensure accuracy and have a helper hold the bucket up there.

So I used 1” hose and at exact even height as return line. 2 Gal in 17 secs = 423GPH sensor shows 438 (I’ll call the difference my finger reaction time)

So flow sensor is accurate. Pump is kinda weak for a 1500gph rating.

48” from pump head to return line. 1.25 union to 1” pvc 2 1” 90s and up to the return. And return is 90 to turn into the tank.

I guess I should talk to support?

So I used 1” hose and at exact even height as return line. 2 Gal in 17 secs = 423GPH sensor shows 438 (I’ll call the difference my finger reaction time)

So flow sensor is accurate. Pump is kinda weak for a 1500gph rating.

48” from pump head to return line. 1.25 union to 1” pvc 2 1” 90s and up to the return. And return is 90 to turn into the tank.

I guess I should talk to support?

Yeah. That doesn't sound right. I would personally create a ticket for that. Another test you can try as a second verification is to time again but this time make sure the outlet is the same height as the pump and use as short of a tubing run as feasible. Under this test you should get around 1200 gph with a 4ft or less hose with the two bends. If that is significantly lower than that, you could be assured there is a problem with the pump.

Frequent Visitor
    Yeah. That doesn't sound right. I would personally create a ticket for that. Another test you can try as a second verification is to time again but this time make sure the outlet is the same height as the pump and use as short of a tubing run as feasible. Under this test you should get around 1200 gph with a 4ft or less hose with the two bends. If that is significantly lower than that, you could be assured there is a problem with the pump.

I’ve created a ticket and corresponding back and forth with them. First thing they pointed out was the barb and they said that would be causing the major flow drop but it’s a 3/4 ID barb. Pretty much every competing pump in the 1500gph range is rated for 3/4 plumbing. Mainly the vectra pumps that are supposed to be the target Neptune went after.

I’m 30-40% below head rating of S1 pump on 3/4 plumbing and I’m on 1” most of the way there.

I’ll keep you posted. Neptune has always been amazing on support with other stuff I’ve had with them. Fingers crossed. I need that 700-800GPH flow.

I’ve created a ticket and corresponding back and forth with them. First thing they pointed out was the barb and they said that would be causing the major flow drop but it’s a 3/4 ID barb. Pretty much every competing pump in the 1500gph range is rated for 3/4 plumbing. Mainly the vectra pumps that are supposed to be the target Neptune went after.

I’m 30-40% below head rating of S1 pump on 3/4 plumbing and I’m on 1” most of the way there.

I’ll keep you posted. Neptune has always been amazing on support with other stuff I’ve had with them. Fingers crossed. I need that 700-800GPH flow.

Yeah. Even if the entire run was 3/4", my head loss calc still shows above 700.

Frequent Visitor
    Yeah. Even if the entire run was 3/4", my head loss calc still shows above 700.

Their support has sent me water flow charts and telling me 3/4 plumbing max flow at these pressures is 660GPH. The chart clearly says Gravity fed the next line is average pressures it was 1410.

Then their head pressure chart is either BS or misleading. It should say you can’t get these head-pressure figures unless you run 2” plumbing and no one would use 2” for a 1500Gph pump. basement sump system with high flow pump maybe.

I’m at a loss, I asked them now what? Will cor20 be the same? Wrong figures/misadvertised too?

Everything else about Neptune is about exceeding their expected performance. This pump is far from that.