Thread: Free-standing mounting options for DOS above a DDR

Frequent Visitor

Free-standing mounting options for DOS above a DDR

So, I have a 120 DT and all of my filtration and gear is limited to the inside of the stand. I don't have a fish room, and I didn't think about needing an electrical side access area when we had the stand built a few years ago. The back of the stand is open, and surface area to mount modules and equipment to in the cabinet is very limited

Has anyone seen, or come up with a solution to use the DOS sitting on some kind of free standing rack above a DDR. I envision something "L" shaped made from plexiglass that has a base the DDR sits on and a back plate the DOS mounts to above it.

Any suggestions?

Frequent Visitor
    You certainly can make such an L-shaped stand arranging the DOS and DDR as you envision. I made mine from two pieces of 1 x 12 pine board, painted white. Very easy to do. I allowed for a pair of Hanna magnetic stirrers to set the DDR on.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    I allowed for a pair of Hanna magnetic stirrers to set the DDR on.
    Magnetic stirrers! What a great idea! I can't believe I hadn't thought of this already myself. THANK YOU!

Frequent Visitor
    Check out the HI190M-1. It's a 5 x 5 so just right under the DDR or a Maxx. I have six of these, timed to run 10 minutes every three hours, so it prevents sludge accumulation. Time dispensations accordingly so you are always dosing homogeneous solutions/suspensions. Run 'em all simultaneously on a Time program so you are using only one EB outlet. This model is 120 VAC but also available in 12 VDC. About $100, free shipping, direct from Hanna Instruments. Being motors, they will have limited lifetime, but for this price, not a big deal. It's a technologically simple way to "shake before using".

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks for the ideas. This free standing set up will sit in front of my sump in the stand - so low profile is preferred so that I can get to stuff behind it without having to take it out - so I would probably forego the magnetic stirrer at this juncture.

I had considered the wood option, but was hoping to find a clear plexi option.

Frequent Visitor
    I'm contemplating having custom acrylic 3-sided display stand made to custom dimensions - allowing me to put the DDR underneath and the DOS on top. I would like to keep the entire assembled item at or under 15" tall, so that it is lower than the edge of my sump, and not in the way of accessing anything for maintenance (changing filter sock, harvesting chaeto, getting to the skimmer cup, etc.).

The dimension for he DDR indicate it is 8.5" tall, and the DOS is 5" tall. So, if I have a shelf built to be 10" tall - doe that allow enough room for tubing to connect to the DDR?

The DDR is also 1/2" deeper than the DOS. If I have the shelf made 5" deep, are the ports on the DDR within 1/2" of the edge of the DDR (so the tubing would not need to bend to be under the top of the shelf supporting the DOS)?

Trying to plan ahead to have the shelve made ahead of time.

1.5" of clearance is pushing it. I would do 12" if I were you assuming you have the vertical space for it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk