Thread: 1" flow sensor question

Frequent Visitor

1" flow sensor question

I have a 120 currently with 3 1" flow sensors. I'm planning a 210 build and curious what's the largest size pvc pipe i can use with it. Would like to use 1.25" pvc but not sure if i should just stick with 1" with my returns

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    If you're looking to increase the flow over the 1" piping you will need to step up the sensor diameter to 2" to accomplish that. The 1" sensors will be the bottle neck and you will have to use adapters to get back to 1" for them.

Are you using 3 return lines?

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by anit77 View Post
    If you're looking to increase the flow over the 1" piping you will need to step up the sensor diameter to 2" to accomplish that. The 1" sensors will be the bottle neck and you will have to use adapters to get back to 1" for them.

Are you using 3 return lines?
    Currently i have 2 to my display and 1 to my frag

Frequent Visitor
    Ok, cool. Here a few more questions then.

Are you using more than 1 pump for the returns?

How big is the frag?

What pump(s) are you planning for the new setup?

What turnover rate are you looking for?

Frequent Visitor
    Ok, cool. Here a few more questions then.

Are you using more than 1 pump for the returns?

How big is the frag?

What pump(s) are you planning for the new setup?

What turnover rate are you looking for?
    Yes i am 2 ehiem compact 5000+. 1 to the display and carbon reactor and the other goes to the display and frag tank.

The new setup will new a 210 (sps dominated)and the frag (zoa and mushroom tank is 21 gallon)

I'm try to get 10x turn over since that is recommended with Triton method

Frequent Visitor
    I have a 210 and 60 frag setup plumbed through 1 return pump, a Jebao DCP18000. I'm also running a manifold that currently has a UV, and chiller running. I'm getting about 6 turns. 2" sensor to display & 1" to the frag.

Your going to need to run 1600 to 1800gph to the 210, depending on how much rock you put in there, to get to 10 turns. I don't know how big of a sump you're going to use but that's a good bit of flow if the sump is smaller. (My sump is a used 120).

If you want to bounce some plumbing ideas off me shoot a PM over and I'll give you my email address.

Frequent Visitor
    I have a 210 and 60 frag setup plumbed through 1 return pump, a Jebao DCP18000. I'm also running a manifold that currently has a UV, and chiller running. I'm getting about 6 turns. 2" sensor to display & 1" to the frag.

Your going to need to run 1600 to 1800gph to the 210, depending on how much rock you put in there, to get to 10 turns. I don't know how big of a sump you're going to use but that's a good bit of flow if the sump is smaller. (My sump is a used 120).

If you want to bounce some plumbing ideas off me shoot a PM over and I'll give you my email address.
    I'll take any ideas, won't let me pm you for some reason

Frequent Visitor
    I sent you a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by GugsJr View Post
    Yes i am 2 ehiem compact 5000+. 1 to the display and carbon reactor and the other goes to the display and frag tank.

The new setup will new a 210 (sps dominated)and the frag (zoa and mushroom tank is 21 gallon)

I'm try to get 10x turn over since that is recommended with Triton method

FYI 10x turnover is pump rating not actual flow through sump. Actual recommendation for flow through sump is 3-5x

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    FYI 10x turnover is pump rating not actual flow through sump. Actual recommendation for flow through sump is 3-5x

Oh, must have misread or confused it with another stat. Thank you

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post

I know this is slightly O/T...

I've watched a few videos on the Triton Method but I've seen a lot of conflicting posts in threads on the 10x number. Some say 10x tank turn over, some say 10x volume of the sump with the sump size matched to the tank size. And now 10x as a pump rating. I guess I should read up on Tritons site.

Frequent Visitor
    Well, after reading Triton's site and this Doc there's somewhat conflicting info there too. They say 10x tank volume in their figures (Figure 4 in the linked doc) and also say 10x total system volume it the paragraphs referencing those figures.

"One final consideration for the sump is the return pump, this should be capable of providing a minimumflow of 10x the volume of the system through the sump per hour taking into account for head loss andany taps for reactors etc"

On a 210 with a fuge that is 10-20% of that tank volume you could be looking at up to 240 gallons or more of system volume. So they want roughly 1800gph if it's tank volume or 2400gph if it's system volume through the sump per hour for a display that size. That's a lot of water! A 2" sensor on the return line after the manifold will be needed. I don't see how you could accurately get a reading for that flow in a main drain line.

I would have a hard time wrapping my mind around running that much water through a cornerflow tank and not having a Bean drain.

Frequent Visitor
    Ok I thought I was right on that. My plan is to do a bean animal with the 2 over flows. Maybe 2 full siphons, 1 drain and 1 emergency, or 1 full, 2 durso, 1 emergency. Or just setup the herbie and a optical sensor for my backup.

Then the returns up over the back or drill 1" holes in the glass.

Well will see in 2 weeks when i get the tank. I should have the stand sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by GugsJr View Post
    Oh, must have misread or confused it with another stat. Thank you

It's a common mistake. People didn't know a lot about pump head loss back in the day, so most of those turnover guidelines were based on the actual pump rating for a sump in the cabinet under the tank. That scenario typically cuts the pumps flowrate in half, so that's where the 3-5 times comes from.