Thread: Flow Sensors Dropping to Zero

Frequent Visitor

Flow Sensors Dropping to Zero

Several months ago I installed four 1" sensors in the return lines, and all have been reporting flow rates that I believed to be reasonably accurate. Just recently, one and then another started reporting zero flow, although I know the flow through them is normal. The two others are still reporting believable flow rates at this time.

The sensors are installed correctly, and have been working all this time until now. What could be the cause of this?

I am wondering if this is a simple matter of cleaning out the sensors. I clean out my turbine type Omega Engineering flow meters using straight bleach when their readouts drop off. The length of pipe on which a meter is mounted is inserted in the line using unions. I remove this section, and cap the ends, bottling bleach inside for several days. Viewing through the pipe before the soak you can clearly see the fouling on the turbine, and after the soak the interior is clean as a whistle. Is this approach acceptable for the Neptune sensors? Otherwise, is there a recommended cleaning method?

I'd really like to get these sensors working, so any helpful remarks would be appreciated.

Frequent Visitor LobsterOfJustice's Avatar
    I have the 2” ones and they clog very easy. All it takes is a stray piece of chaeto to stop them. I don’t think you need to resort to bleach, I would just take them out and check for obstructions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    180g reef with all the bells and whistles

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks for responding. It is good to know that the problem is probably due to clogging, as I suspected, and not an actual malfunction. But once checked for obstruction, what then is the proper means of clearing said obstruction? I hesitate to probe the sensor with any sort of object, or blow compressed air through it, for fear of damaging it.

Bleach does scrub the bio buildup in the Omegas, and I have also done soaks with CLR as a precaution against long term lime deposition. I just thought it wise to see if there were any specifically prescribed dos and don'ts with respect to these Neptune devices. I assume that this chemical method, being good for one, is as good for the other. After all, how different from one another can they be?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    Thanks for responding. It is good to know that the problem is probably due to clogging, as I suspected, and not an actual malfunction. But once checked for obstruction, what then is the proper means of clearing said obstruction? I hesitate to probe the sensor with any sort of object, or blow compressed air through it, for fear of damaging it.

Bleach does scrub the bio buildup in the Omegas, and I have also done soaks with CLR as a precaution against long term lime deposition. I just thought it wise to see if there were any specifically prescribed dos and don'ts with respect to these Neptune devices. I assume that this chemical method, being good for one, is as good for the other. After all, how different from one another can they be?
    Open it up. Use vinegar and a toothbrush to clear and buildup

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    It had not occurred to me to open it up!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    It had not occurred to me to open it up!
    That be what the screws are for.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk