Thread: Programing CO2 manifold

New User

Programing CO2 manifold

Hello,

I'm working with a bioreactor that has 12 bags, and I'm trying to write a code where I can use my CO2 cylinder and distribute CO2 independently to each bag using a manifold with solenoids, and 12 pH probes to let me know when the I need to CO2. Do you have any code for that or any idea of how to do that?

I hope that you can help me.
    Thank you,
    Siane

Frequent Visitor
    For a Classic system... Do you have a Base Unit, 10 to 11 PM1 modules, 2 Energy Bars and 12 PH Probes?

With the 2016 version and two EB832 energy bars you can save up to four 120v outputs by using two 24v DC solenoids per EB.

If you have all that, then the programming is easy. You can do it in each output using the "Control Type" setup for pH Control or using the code below for Advanced.

Fallback OFF
    If (name of ph probe) > x.xx Then ON
    If (name of ph probe) < x.xx Then OFF

New User
    Thank you so much! I will try that for sure!

New User

Adding more pH probes

Hello,

I need to know if it is possible, I'm very new on this system. So, I have a solenoid for CO2 control and a manifold with six slots. Also, I have six pH probes. Do you have any idea of how I should connect the probes to the APEX? I intend to release CO2 automatically and independent to six different systems using the information that the six different pH probes will provide.

Thank you,
    Siane

Frequent Visitor
    If you're not going to use the ORP port for a ORP probe on the Base Unit you can use a pH probe in that spot, giving you two.
    After that you are going to need to get one of these for every additional probe you want to add.

https://www.neptunesystems.com/produ...modules/phorp/

You will also need a solenoid for each slot on the manifold.

New User
    Good,
    I also have these modules for pH probes, so I think that I'm good to set it up. My issue right now is how to connect the probes to the manifold and to the APEX, so I can monitor it. Should I buy other energy bar?

Quote Originally Posted by sianeluzzi View Post
    Good,
    I also have these modules for pH probes, so I think that I'm good to set it up. My issue right now is how to connect the probes to the manifold and to the APEX, so I can monitor it. Should I buy other energy bar?
    You need a PM1 for each probe you would want to add. Price is gonna be expensive for 12 as you are looking at $160 a piece. It will cost about 2 grand to add all those probes.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

New User
    Yes But it is for research, so is a necessary expense.

Missed part of your question. You will need two energy bars total to have enough outlets for all 12 independently. You can use an eb4 or eb8 to reduce cost some if you don't need watts monitoring for the solenoids.

New User
    My question was about the energy bar and how to connect all the outlets. Let's say in this way, if I have a manifold with 6 outlets, plus 6 PM1 probes, will I need two energy bars?

Quote Originally Posted by sianeluzzi View Post
    My question was about the energy bar and how to connect all the outlets. Let's say in this way, if I have a manifold with 6 outlets, plus 6 PM1 probes, will I need two energy bars?
    Assuming all you need to control is one solenoid per manifold, you need 1 outlet per manifold. So for 6, you would only need 1 energy bar. For 12, you would need 2.

Frequent Visitor
    Which version Apex do you have? 2016 or Classic

A standard energy bar has 8 outlets. 6 of them are electrical relays and 2 are mechanical, outlets 4 & 8. Depending on the solenoids you use there may not be enough of a power draw to get the electrical relays to turn off. That is your biggest problem. The EB4 are all mechanical relays.

If they pull enough power then one energy bar is enough for the first six. When you expand to 12 you'll either need to get another EB8 or EB4.

For the first six you plug the solenoids into the Energy Bar, noting the outlet number. Then you match up the pH probe numbers to the outlet numbers for programming.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by anit77 View Post

A standard energy bar has 8 outlets. 6 of them are electrical relays and 2 are mechanical, outlets 4 & 8. Depending on the solenoids you use there may not be enough of a power draw to get the electrical relays to turn off. That is your biggest problem. The EB4 are all mechanical relays.

If they pull enough power then one energy bar is enough for the first six. When you expand to 12 you'll either need to get another EB8 or EB4.

For the first six you plug the solenoids into the Energy Bar, noting the outlet number. Then you match up the pH probe numbers to the outlet numbers for programming.

Thank you so much for your answer, it was great! I think that I know what to do now

The EB832 is all electromechanical relays and what gets plugged in where does not matter. For something low draw like a solenoid, those must be plugged into electromechanical outlets unless the power draw is above 5W or an outlet splitter is used to increase the load on the outlet (i.e. 1-6 on an EB8 may require some extra wattage to make sure they reliably turn OFF). An EB4 is all electromechanical, so a 2016 apex EB832 plus an EB4 is ideal. An EB8 plus EB4 can work but may require some outlet splitters with a nightlight or other load that is 5+W may be necessary for outlets 1-3 and 5-7.

Frequent Visitor
    Yea, the OP didn't specify which version they're using. I'm just assuming it's a Classic.

Good to know on the relays on the EB833. I didn't know that. Thanks zombie!

Programing CO2 manifold

Yea, the OP didn't specify which version they're using. I'm just assuming it's a Classic.
    You can always check the user’s profile. Apex and module info is there so that other users can see that info and use it to help. It may not always be current info, but in this case the OP joined the forum just a few days ago and the profile says Apex (2016), it’s safe to assume that to be accurate.

You can see that info by clicking or tapping on the username.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Ok, thanks! Most of the time on Tapatalk and didn't know that info showed up there.

Now I need to update my info