Thread: Skimmer drain monitoring

Regular Vistor

Skimmer drain monitoring

Hi -

I currently have a RO Regal skimmer with a Varios DC pump and an Avast Marine Davy Jones Locker for skim mate storage. My ATO is a Tunze.

Everything is connected to the Apex but of course the only control I have of the Tunze is on/off.

Occasionally, my skimmer will overflow and will fill the Davy Jones locker completely in an hour or two, causing salinity to drop as the skim mate is replaced with RODI water from the ATO.

Other than putting a flow sensor on the skim mate output tube (which I'm not sure is possible) is there a way for me to detect the skimmer is overflowing at too quick a rate and reduce it's DC pump output?

If the ATK is programmable to detect that it's been refilling water for too long/longer than a predetermined time I suspect that may suffice and I would replace the Tunze with the ATK.

I run the skimmer very wet (tank is Triton) hence the odds of the over drain issue happening.

Would appreciate any ideas!

Thanks.

The only method that comes to mind would be to use a large diameter solenoid on the drain line that shuts the flow once per hour and place a float inside the skimmer cup. If the float hits too fast than you know its overflowing and you can cut off the skimmer.

If you can relate the skimmer overflowing to water level in sump, proper sensing of high water level and shutting the skimmer off when it's high may also solve the problem indirectly.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    That's a pretty good idea about the solenoid although I fear that adding a float valve to the skimmer cup will be tricky as I'm using a Avast Marine Swabbie with a special lid already.

If I were to add a flow sensor to the ATO output tubing it is capable of telling me of the flow per hour so I could shut off the skimmer should that measurement be higher than expected?

Flow rate is probably too low for that. Min turn on is 3 gph which would be incredibly fast for skimmer flow and would likely get clogged anyway. Shutting of the skimmer when ATO runs too long or when salinity drops might be a good failsafe though.
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCEnglish View Post
    That's a pretty good idea about the solenoid although I fear that adding a float valve to the skimmer cup will be tricky as I'm using a Avast Marine Swabbie with a special lid already.

If I were to add a flow sensor to the ATO output tubing it is capable of telling me of the flow per hour so I could shut off the skimmer should that measurement be higher than expected?
    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    I was thinking of adding the flow sensor to the ATO output, not the skimmer drain, but it's a good point about flow rate, I'm not sure if the ATO output line would achieve the required minimum rate.

Frequent Visitor
    You could mount some float switches inside the locker, through various means, and use some timed statements that if they trip too quickly, the alarm would go off. Totally doable. The reliability of the floats inside the locker is a different story. Not entirely sure if optical sensors would work any better. it's a thought, anyway.