Thread: PH not displaying on controller

Regular Vistor

PH not displaying on controller

Hi Guys, I have an Apex Jr and just installed the PM1 module with the double junction ph probe, calibrated as required but there are no readings on the controller display. Can someone please help? Attached is a photo of current status displaying on controller. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Never seen that before. Go to the module setup page of the classic dashboard and update the display firmware (along with any other modules that don't say OK). It's also possible that the probe is currently disabled, which could be checked in the classic dashboard under probe setup (though I can't confirm because my classic is in the shop right now).

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    Thanks for the reply zombie! I have figured out how to display my ph but now it seems my probe is not calibrating correctly. First calibration was 4.3 and second calibration was 7.2, when testing after calibration fluid the 10.1 read at 10 but 7.1 keeps reading at 8.9? Not sure if its user error or possibly a bad probe.

Quote Originally Posted by brewdog View Post
    Thanks for the reply zombie! I have figured out how to display my ph but now it seems my probe is not calibrating correctly. First calibration was 4.3 and second calibration was 7.2, when testing after calibration fluid the 10.1 read at 10 but 7.1 keeps reading at 8.9? Not sure if its user error or possibly a bad probe.
    Probably an artifact of a bad initial calibration. Run a manual calibration with the probe unplugged and just scroll through everything real quick. This "resets" the probe. Then repeat the normal calibration procedure and make sure you shake the probe off well before placing in the packet, give it a good shake while it's in there to dislodge any bubbles, and make sure it settles for at least 5 minutes in each solution.

Regular Vistor
    How do you run a manual calibration? Also why is my Offset and Scale so out of wack or is this normal?

On a classic, manual calibration is the only method you can do. I say that from habit because the 2016 has a manual and automatic calibration mode.

Your offset and scale of definitely way off and confirms my suspicion that a "probe reset" will be required to get a good calibration. Those values are typically closeish to zero for offset and closeish to 1 for scale.

Note that you have named your new probe "PH", but the display is showing "pH" - not the same thing. It is not as case of not showing your new probes reading - it is not showing your new PM1's pH probe port at all.
    The display settings need to be updated - those "pH" and "pH2" items are bogus defaults have been there since you first setup it the Apex. It appears that you have never properly configured the display. You need to modify the display page settings to show the new probe. Go to Configuration->Display setup, choose Page 1

The Tmp entry seems to be valid - leave it as is
    Change the second item for Probe Line #1, select the new probe which you have named "PH"

Save your settings. Look at the display under the time where it was showing "pH" and no value. It should now show PH and the current pH value for the pH probe. If the display looks screwy or fragmented right after you updated the settings, switch display pages from #1 to #2 and back to #1 by pressing the right arrow button then the left arrow button.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    Does the display look properly configured now? Obviously my ph reading is not calibrated correctly but waiting on more calibration fluid. Do you think my ph probe is faulty or just not calibrated properly? I tried calibrating it yesterday 4-5 times using new fluid each time.

Only way to know for sure is to try the reset procedure I mentioned earlier and try it again. From the looks of your initial readings, it looks like you may have inadvertently selected 4.01 and 7.01 solutions on the initial calibration, which skewed all further calibrations well out of range.

Regular Vistor
    Solved! Turns out I got a bad probe. Replaced the Neptune faulty probe with a BRS probe, recalibrated and it was a success! Thanks to zombie for the step by step factory reset of the controller!

Quote Originally Posted by brewdog View Post
    Solved! Turns out I got a bad probe. Replaced the Neptune faulty probe with a BRS probe, recalibrated and it was a success! Thanks to zombie for the step by step factory reset of the controller!
    You mean probe reset...dont want somebody to think I told you to initialize your controller.

Regular Vistor
    I should have clarified, yes ph probe reset only