Thread: Apex keeps restarting

Regular Vistor

Apex keeps restarting

Hello i keep having issues with apex keeps restarting quite offten. Ive updated software and checked all connections but it just shuts off for a second and then powers back on. For example today it has restarted 5 times.

Contact support. Random reboots are a sign of corruption or a hardware issue. One thing they will ask you to test is to disconnect the apex from ethernet for a period of time to see if that stops the issue (diagnostic only. Doesn't need to stay that way) so I would start that test while you await a response to your ticket.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    Thank you. I will open a ticket while diconnect from network and see what happens. Only problem i live in uk so posting to usa aint cheap

Frequent Visitor
    Is it a 2016 or a classic? Also what software version? +1 on raising a support case with Neptune. *IF* an RMA is required, then contact the UK distributor, ITC Aquatics with the RMA from Neptune and they will arrange a local address for you to send the unit to and can rapidly ship a replacement.

They were awesome when one of my DOS units went down

Regular Vistor
    Screenshot_20180605-154004.jpg
    Its classic version with latest firmware

Frequent Visitor
    Yeah, there’s a lot of people who are having constant rebooting issues with the latest firmware.

i would downgrade if you can keep it running long enough to do so.

Regular Vistor
    Thanks mate. Ive submitted a ticket and allowed access to support maybe they can figure out the problem. Kinda loosing faith in it on how reliable it can be. Hope its just a software bug. And anoying thing after restarts i have programmed skimmer and other bits to synk as to simulate waterchange and its not a nice procedure when it keeps happening causing a chain reaction in equipment.

Regular Vistor
    How can i get this email??

Date: 2018-06-06 20:49:07 +0100
    Statement: If pH < 7.80 Then ON (7.81)

Ph is is more than 7.8 so why email?!?

Regular Vistor
    What does your email output code look like?

Regular Vistor

Quote Originally Posted by sertan View Post
    How can i get this email??

Date: 2018-06-06 20:49:07 +0100
    Statement: If pH < 7.80 Then ON (7.81)

Ph is is more than 7.8 so why email?!?
    The apex triggers the start of the email process the moment pH goes outside those bounds. When the email is generated, it pulls the current pH value several seconds after the email started getting made, which may not exactly match the pH when the email was triggered to be created.

Regular Vistor
    Changed ph by 0.05 value see if that stops. But restars still continue. Recieved email from neptune with some diagnostic steps. Will follow them see if that helps. Thank you for your time and help mate. Much appriciate.

New User
    Hello i keep having issues with apex keeps restarting quite offten. Ive updated software and checked all connections but it just shuts off for a second and then powers back on. For example today it has restarted 5 times.
    Did you ever get this resolved? I have a similar issue - my Apex goes into cycles of reboots, mostly after a power cycle.

Regular Vistor
    No still happening. Last time happened yesterday. I ment to be contacted by neptune but they ware busy and keep re-aranging call back. So i guess we in the same boat.

New User
    No still happening. Last time happened yesterday. I ment to be contacted by neptune but they ware busy and keep re-aranging call back. So i guess we in the same boat.
    I was able to fix my situation. Short story, I changed my wifi/router-extender and it's been rock-solid since.

Longer story: I didn't have a hard-wired Ethernet port for my APEX so I used a wifi extender and plugged in there. It worked great, but at some point I would noticed that the APEX would fall into a series of cycles after a power cycle - the Tunze auto topoff was the problem and would at times send the skimmer into fits and there was risk of overflowing the sump. I tried updating everything, but still could not get the phatom power cycles to stop. I had a Netgear extender, and swapped it with one from my garage (I can fill-in the brand later).

I also ran into issues with some of the modules not being up to date, when I tried up update the WMX it seemed that I no longer could control my MP40s, but I forced an update to the module even when it said the version was 'ok' and that cleared up the issue. Similar thing with my second EB8 - forced an update module even when it said ok.

I'm back in business except for a very noisy Tunze auto-topoff pump.

Hope this helps - Good Luck

Regular Vistor
    What kind of rwstarts did you have? My ones is when everything shuts off completly. Eb8 and everything plugged in to it. I would be unable to connect to fusion unless i unplug eb8 from mains and let it restart.
    If its the same ill try changing my wifi booster i just dont understand how can it be an issue. Fine ill understand if wifi disconnects and no fussion but for a whole system restart with a chance of no access to fustion seems like a bug.

What kind of rwstarts did you have? My ones is when everything shuts off completly. Eb8 and everything plugged in to it. I would be unable to connect to fusion unless i unplug eb8 from mains and let it restart.
    If its the same ill try changing my wifi booster i just dont understand how can it be an issue. Fine ill understand if wifi disconnects and no fussion but for a whole system restart with a chance of no access to fustion seems like a bug.
    Failure to boot means you need to update your bootloader (from the display system -> bootloader update -> press select)

New User
    My entire APEX system would restart, including anything plugged into either of my EB8s. I was also unable to use my display until everything recycled. I know it seems like this would not be the issue, but once I changed the WiFi extender, the behavior stopped.

At the worst, I was getting reboots/recycles every couple of minutes. I was also getting many network disconnects throughout the day without the reboot/recycle. The reboot/recycle behavior seemed to be initiated by a power cycle, and eventually it would 'settle.' It has been reliable ever since changing out WiFi extender.

I was also just able to setup the Heartbeat feature - in the past the connectivity has been deemed too unreliable.

New User
    Just started having this problem today. I am sitting here working and thing is just rebooting. I can't step away to diagnose a bunch at present, but has never happened like this before. Every few minutes. My system is hardwired to Ethernet.

New User
    I just updated EB8 from 011(OK) to 012(OK). I believe my other EB8 was already as version 012, so we'll see if this makes a difference for the one which was powering off.

Quote Originally Posted by sunswirl View Post
    Just started having this problem today. I am sitting here working and thing is just rebooting. I can't step away to diagnose a bunch at present, but has never happened like this before. Every few minutes. My system is hardwired to Ethernet.
    Update your firmware, webpages, module firmware and bootloader. If that doesnt fix it, contact support. Unplug the ethernet and see if that makes any difference. If it does, support may be able to fix remotely. If it doesn't, it's likely a hardware issue and needs to be sent in for repair.