Thread: 30min on/off Pump Cycle

30min on/off Pump Cycle

Hello, I have a fresh Saltwarter mixing container that I don't want to have the pump on all the time to keep the water from going stale. I'm thinking a 24hr 30min on 30min off cycle. Is this possible?

My first thought would be to keep the string below going until I get to 24hrs. hoping there is an easier way.

Fallback ON
    Set ON
    if time 00:00 to 00:30 then on
    if time 00:30 to 01:00 then off

Once the water is clear, continuing to mix will lead to precipitation. IMO it's best to mix only once or for just a short period once or twice a day for a short enough period that the pump impeller wont heat up. To do the latter, this is a good approach (set the VO to AUTO when you mix a new batch)

JustMixed (virtual outlet)
    Set ON
    When On > 360:00 Then OFF

Mixing pump
    OSC 000:00/000:10/710:00 Then ON
    If Output JustMixed = ON Then ON
    If LowSwitch CLOSED Then OFF

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Once the water is clear, continuing to mix will lead to precipitation. IMO it's best to mix only once or for just a short period once or twice a day for a short enough period that the pump impeller wont heat up. To do the latter, this is a good approach (set the VO to AUTO when you mix a new batch)

JustMixed (virtual outlet)
    Set ON
    When On > 360:00 Then OFF

Mixing pump
    OSC 000:00/000:10/710:00 Then ON
    If Output JustMixed = ON Then ON
    If LowSwitch CLOSED Then OFF

Sorry I’m still new but what’s the difference between keeping circulation going in a saltwater mixing tank vs the aquarium. I know some salts are prone to precipitation. But I’m talking about those that aren’t. Wouldn’t keeping it heated and circulating mimic the aquarium itself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My container is also closed lid so that would mitigate precipitation.

NM, I was thinking evaporation. Can you explain this part of the code? OSC 000:00/000:10/710:00 Then ON

The difference is that the aquarium has rock and sand that acts as a buffer to precipitation that a container doesnt have

The OSC statement turns on the pump for 10 minutes every 12 hours to keep things mixed but not long enough to heat up the pump. Unlike most solids, calcium carbonate is more soluble at lower temperatures and the solubility is also dependent on pH. At lower temperatures CO2 is more soluable, which can help lower pH and prevent precipitation.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    The difference is that the aquarium has rock and sand that acts as a buffer to precipitation that a container doesnt have

The OSC statement turns on the pump for 10 minutes every 12 hours to keep things mixed but not long enough to heat up the pump. Unlike most solids, calcium carbonate is more soluble at lower temperatures and the solubility is also dependent on pH. At lower temperatures CO2 is more soluable, which can help lower pH and prevent precipitation.

How about a DC pump running at 10-20% and no heater in a cold basement? Thinking for a AWC saltwater holding solution.

Quote Originally Posted by XLOR8T View Post
    How about a DC pump running at 10-20% and no heater in a cold basement? Thinking for a AWC saltwater holding solution.

That would be much less likely to precipitate. The issue is a local heat increase, which for many pumps can exceed 100 degrees on the impeller and that's what causes the precipitation. A DC pump at a low percentage likely wont get that local temp increase.

OSC command is Min:Seconds, so should be OSC 000:00/010:00/710:00 Then ON for 10 minutes out of 12 hrs.