Thread: 2" Sensor stopped working.

Frequent Visitor

2" Sensor stopped working.

I have a 2" sensor connected after a 2" wye. One branch of the wye steps down to 1" to a frag tank and a manifold. The line to the manifold has a 1" sensor. The other end goes to the 2" sensor then steps down to 1-1/4" and returns to the DT.

The pump is a Jebao DCP18000 that has a strainer on the input. Yesterday after shutting the pump down the sensor stopped reading. The sensors plug is attached correctly and I'm not seeing a loss of flow to the display or an increase to the drag tank. The display has a beananimal drain that has not needed to be adjusted.

Today I shut the pump down and let the pressure build up before opening the main return line up. I then repetitively closed and shut the line. No change. I know the turbine has to be spinning or there'd be drag and a flow change that would require an adjustment with the bean drain. The sensors were all cleaned last month.

Any thoughts on what could be the problem?

Frequent Visitor LobsterOfJustice's Avatar
    Clogged or something holding up the turbine. Happens to mine constantly. I stopped cleaning them and they all just read zero all the time because I refuse to disassemble by systems plumbing and clean them weekly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    180g reef with all the bells and whistles

Reseat the connector. People often dont press them in far enough to fully seat.

If that doesnt fix it, shut off flow and unscrew it to clean. Plumbing only needs to be disassembled if you need to soak the sensor in vinegar.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    I'll try dissassmble and see if it does anything.
    I have checked the plug to make sure its seated, I've had that happen before. I checked that 1st before posting.

Frequent Visitor
    I too have the same issues as Lobster. They aren’t really that practical or maintenance friendly.

Flo is important to a reef aquarium, but knowing the flow in units isn’t critical, a nice luxury, but not really needed.

The ideal approach would be to use a ultrasonic type, but I am sure it would drive the cost up too high for this type of application.

I love Neptunes products, but I will be phasing these out of my present setup.

Quote Originally Posted by ricowind View Post
    I too have the same issues as Lobster. They aren’t really that practical or maintenance friendly.

Flo is important to a reef aquarium, but knowing the flow in units isn’t critical, a nice luxury, but not really needed.

The ideal approach would be to use a ultrasonic type, but I am sure it would drive the cost up too high for this type of application.

I love Neptunes products, but I will be phasing these out of my present setup.

Those would probably be incredibly expensive. The ones I have installed at oil and gas sites are like 5-10k a pop.

Frequent Visitor
    Don’t mean to jump on this thread but do those of you who have flow meters in line notice they actually slow down the flow in any way. Especially if they are now reading zero?

Quote Originally Posted by epsteino View Post
    Don’t mean to jump on this thread but do those of you who have flow meters in line notice they actually slow down the flow in any way. Especially if they are now reading zero?
    It's normal to see a reduction equivalent to adding a couple 90s when it's working normally and if the paddles get stuck (likely why you are reading zero now) it would reduce flow a fair bit

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks zombie. Would it make sense to just go bigger like put a 1.5” meter on a 1” line or are the flow parameters gonna put that out of range? I’m worried I’m hearing they tend to slow flow even more when they get clogged or stuck. Not sure if bigger ones will at least limit that or eliminate it.

Quote Originally Posted by epsteino View Post
    Thanks zombie. Would it make sense to just go bigger like put a 1.5” meter on a 1” line or are the flow parameters gonna put that out of range? I’m worried I’m hearing they tend to slow flow even more when they get clogged or stuck. Not sure if bigger ones will at least limit that or eliminate it.
    Putting a 2" sensor (they dont make a 1.5) on a 1" line will not improve the flow reduction because any gains made by the larger sensor are cancelled out by the two reducers needed to attach it.