Thread: Auto Feeder Programming

Regular Vistor

Auto Feeder Programming

I went through the typical setup of my new AFS with my Apex 2016. I, like many running an Apex, want the full monty with skimmer and return pump being turned off and restart delayed when the feeder runs its cycle.

I saw the bit about virtual outlets, and then sample programming for setting up one feed a day with one drum rotation, accompanied by skimmer and return being turned off and then restarted after a set delay.

I'm new to the Apex programming syntax and methodology. I used the sample programming in the operating manual, and the Apex didn't like it. I've created a virtual outlet, and like I saw illustrated, named it v_feed. From that point, what do I need to key in that will achieve my objective of fed fish with no uneaten food winding up in the sump?

Thanks in advance!

We can't be of assistance if you aren't clear exactly what you want to happen, what you tried, and what your current programming is for all outlets involved. I could give an example, but it wouldn't be any different than what I have posted on the examples you have probably already seen.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    Okay, being new to the whole automation gig with reef keeping, I'll detail what I can...

The objective is for feeder_7_1 to provide one daily feeding at 1400 with one drum revolution. I want the skimmer and return pump (outlet #'s 5 and 6, respectively) on the EB832 to be turned off a minute prior to food being dispensed, and then the pump to be turned on 10 minutes after food is dispensed, and the skimmer to be turned on 5 minutes following the pump. The example Neptune gives in the setup manual details this, but first mentions that a virtual outlet has to be "made." I did that, and named it "v-feed." I copied and pasted the code given in the example:

[v-feed]
    Set OFF
    If Time 12:00 To 12:01 Then ON

[skimmer]
    Set ON
    If Outlet v-feed = ON Then OFF
    Defer 15:00 Then ON

[return]
    Set ON
    Defer 10:00 Then ON

[feeder_3_1]
    Set OFF
    If Outlet v-feed = ON Then ON
    Defer 1:00 Then ON

Looking now, I don't remember whether I changed the address of the feeder itself from _3_1 to _7_1 or not, but that didn't seem to matter, as the Apex didn't take the code I attempted to send over...it messaged back that the upload failed. I'm working under the assumption that the code example Neptune supplied isn't everything one might need to be able to set the desired chain of events into motion...and if that is indeed the case, what it is I might be missing. I have no other programming affecting any of the affected outlets, other than the basic setup of the feeder dispensing one revolution daily at 1400, with the skimmer and return humming merrily along.

That should have taken assuming you got the caps right, since the apex is supposed to autocorrect the missing zeros on your defers. With that said this is a better way to do it.

[v-feed]
    Set OFF
    If Time 12:00 To 12:10 Then ON

[skimmer]
    Set ON
    If Outlet return = ON Then OFF
    If Power Apex Off 001 Then OFF
    Defer 005:00 Then ON

[return]
    Set ON
    If FeedA 000 Then OFF

[feeder_3_1]
    Set OFF
    If Outlet v-feed = ON Then ON
    Defer 001:00 Then ON

Regular Vistor
    If I'm reading this correctly (bear with me, I'm probably not), what I get from the line that states "If Outlet return = ON Then OFF" is that if the return pump (outlet) is on, then the skimmer is set to be off. Is that right?

Quote Originally Posted by Seanislav View Post
    If I'm reading this correctly (bear with me, I'm probably not), what I get from the line that states "If Outlet return = ON Then OFF" is that if the return pump (outlet) is on, then the skimmer is set to be off. Is that right?
    Yes. Replace the word return with the actual outlet name of the return pump. It's best to relate the skimmer to the water level (return, reboot or power outage, high level float/optical if you have one) instead of trying to integrate everything that already turns off the return. More reliable, less lines of code, and easier to keep up to date.

Regular Vistor
    I use an ATK with a high water optical sensor...for the skimmer, can I put in a line something to the effect of "If ATK2 = Closed Then OFF"? And if so, where would I place that line of code in reference to the feeder programming? And could I also have it delay restarting after the water level in the sump drops below the high level sensor? Sometimes, chaeto in the 'fuge causes a mild water backup that then results in a tripped optical sensor when I clear the baffle strainer...and I don't remove water to bring the level down--I let evaporation handle it, but as it does, any surface movement of the water can repeatedly close and open that high level sensor until enough water has evaporated. Yes, I just asked how to program the Apex to compensate for my laziness...

Quote Originally Posted by Seanislav View Post
    I use an ATK with a high water optical sensor...for the skimmer, can I put in a line something to the effect of "If ATK2 = Closed Then OFF"? And if so, where would I place that line of code in reference to the feeder programming? And could I also have it delay restarting after the water level in the sump drops below the high level sensor? Sometimes, chaeto in the 'fuge causes a mild water backup that then results in a tripped optical sensor when I clear the baffle strainer...and I don't remove water to bring the level down--I let evaporation handle it, but as it does, any surface movement of the water can repeatedly close and open that high level sensor until enough water has evaporated. Yes, I just asked how to program the Apex to compensate for my laziness...
    Just add that line in the skimmer code. The defer then ON will prevent short cycling when the sensor goes nuts.

Regular Vistor
    Cool...thanks for your help. Looks like I got it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

New User
    When I try doing this and snd configuration there is a "send Failed" error saying that the statement must start with if, OSC, Min, Set, Fallback ?

What ami doing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by kotteson View Post
    When I try doing this and snd configuration there is a "send Failed" error saying that the statement must start with if, OSC, Min, Set, Fallback ?

What ami doing wrong?
    You can't just copy paste what is shown above. The virtual outlet must be created and named first Nd the code must be modified to match your particular outlet names.