Thread: Why does my Varios8 produce a varied GPH when controlled via my Apex (2016) fixed program?

New User

Why does my Varios8 produce a varied GPH when controlled via my Apex (2016) fixed program?

Hello everyone,
    i'm very new to the Apex world, and I am in the process of setting up a new tank. We've chosen the Varios8 pump due to it's Apex readiness, among other reasons. At first, we ran the return pump without Apex control, just plugged into the 832 - it was very consistent. Once we were satisfied with the plumbing, drain ratio, etc. we plugged it into the Apex to figure out what speed to run it at, maintaining water level and so on...

First, I was not able to simply set the percentage in the program window, I had to use the chart, editing it for only two data points. Then I created a feed mode exception per several other conversations on this board (thanks BTW, the topics here are really helpful). Please see below:

Fallback OFF
    tdata 00:00:00,0,0,33,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
    tdata 23:59:00,0,0,33,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
    If FeedA 000 Then 20

So yeah, 33% is where it came in at... the pump is big!
    Now, we have a flow meter running on the return and since we've put the above program in place the flow varies about 15% above and below the desired performance. This makes things noisy, then scary, then normal, then noisy again... awesome.

So I guess my question is this: Why is my performance varying if not for the voltage (which is theoretically consistent according to the program)? It does not seem to vary nearly as much (less then 3%) when being managed by the ReefOcto controller. My wall outlet voltage is consistent (+/- 1 volt), and the power consumption at the Apex outlet is fairly consistent (2% variance throughout the day)... What if anything is being missed, and what can I do to correct this?

Thanks!!
    Last edited by Where_my_fishes_at?; 06-11-2018 at 10:20. Reason: corrected my sloppy terminology

Frequent Visitor
    I have the same pump connected to my Apex. I also have a flow meter on my return. I get consistent flow and I am not using the chart. I have a single SET statement in place in the advanced tab. How do you have the Varios connected to the Apex? Via the variable speed port?

New User
    The varios is connected to directly to the variable speed port 3/4 on the apex module, and 4 is the active channel. When I attempted to make the set statement with feed mode exceptions, the pump did not function at all (attempted to set this function at several speeds from 13 to 60 in an attempt to understand what the pump could produce). The pump did not run with any of these set statements, which is why I went to the chart, where it did function (albeit inconsistently now).

New User
    pump.jpg

Above is the readout from my 1" flow sensor, you can see where I switched control over yesterday, after noon.

Frequent Visitor
    I am not Using two channels on the Apex. I do have a cable that plugs into V1/V2, but only one end fits into port on the side of the Varios Controller. I am not at home, so I cannot check. I assume you have the same Y cable that I have. I am using the variable speed port V1 and I have the side of the Y cable associated with V1 plugged to the Varios. How do you have it?

New User
    I should have taken a picture of it, but your description is giving me a clue already. I've been using the kessil cable (link below), but using the 0-10v port at the base of the unit. I thought it was something simple... (because I'm a noob).

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/kessi...tune-apex.html

Frequent Visitor
    That is where I was going. With Kessels, Jebao power heads etc you need both channels....intensity and spectrum, etc.
    We only need speed (same as intensity for Kessel I believe). So V1 or V3 and the right side of the Y cable.

And if I remember correctly I don’t think the Kessel cable works. I purchased the Icecap Y cable. I will verify and send you a link when get home later.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Where_my_fishes_at? View Post
    I should have taken a picture of it, but your description is giving me a clue already. I've been using the kessil cable (link below), but using the 0-10v port at the base of the unit. I thought it was something simple... (because I'm a noob).

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/kessi...tune-apex.html
    This is the cable you want:

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/y-mod...le-icecap.html