Thread: Program PMUP Pump for Kalkwasser

New User

Program PMUP Pump for Kalkwasser

Hello,

This is my first post and I read through several trying to find my answer with no luck, hopefully someone can provide some direction. I am going to place a PMUP pump into a 2.5 QT container from BRS for Kalkwasser (despite Neptune Support advising against, they said the PMUP with have a lessened life span). I need to be able to turn the PMUP on for 10-30 seconds every 4 hours (maybe 6) opposite of my DOS distributing 2-part (soda ash & calcium). Can anyone advise on the programming to get this done?

If anyone is curious on the purpose I want to maintain high PH at all times 8.3-8.4 without overdoing the soda ash and getting high alkalinity (over 12 dkh). I do not want to add Kalk to my ATO and there is no room in my sump chamber for a Kalk Reactor or dripper. This container will be going in the control compartment of my Red Reefer 650 Peninsula. Any help would be appreciated on the programming.

Thanks!

I'd agree with Neptune Support's recommendation against using the pmup in kalk. But if you are going to do so, make sure it's powered from an FMM and not plugged directly into an EB832; this may mitigate against certain disaster scenarios.

To do what you're looking for, use the OSC command. For example, 10 seconds ON every 4 hours starting at midnight would be:

Fallback OFF
    OSC 000:00/000:10/239:50 Then ON

Another example: 20 seconds ON every 6 hours starting at 1 AM:

Fallback OFF
    OSC 060:00/000:20/299:40 Then ON

First number is offset time from midnight, and time 'before' activation.
    Second number is activation duration.
    Third number is time 'after' activation.
    First + third numbers is total time between each activation.
    Timer always resets at midnight as long as the total number of minutes is exactly divisible by 1440 (number of minutes in 1 day.)

New User
    Great! Thank you for the response and the detailed explanation of the command. I will give it a shot next week when the BRS shipment arrives. I know it's not a good idea to run the PMUP in a Kalk solution since it will more than likely seize unless I clean it with vinegar quite often. Maybe I will try to rig a systolic pump to the setup if (when...) the PMUP fails. Thanks again!

Just use an OSC statement based on the reeftronics dosing calculator. Dont worry about alternating against the DOS because those times will change every time you change the 2 part amount and it's not worth the effort. Any precipitation will be minimal as long as you keep the doses short and keep flow high where you dose at.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Kalk will raise the alkalinity too.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBossReefer View Post
    Great! Thank you for the response and the detailed explanation of the command. I will give it a shot next week when the BRS shipment arrives. I know it's not a good idea to run the PMUP in a Kalk solution since it will more than likely seize unless I clean it with vinegar quite often. Maybe I will try to rig a systolic pump to the setup if (when...) the PMUP fails. Thanks again!
    Do not not use the PMUP with Kalk. Don't do it.

New User

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by wwanthony View Post
    Do not not use the PMUP with Kalk. Don't do it.
    Any particular reason why? What pump would you recommend? Systolic is just too slow for dosing .5-1 gallons per day (175 gallon tank).

Any particular reason why? What pump would you recommend? Systolic is just too slow for dosing .5-1 gallons per day (175 gallon tank).
    The best are any of the following roughly in order of what I think is best (though exact order is debatable)

- Cole palmer variable speed peristalic
    - DOS
    - Litermeter3 (add on pump)
    - Avast peristalic pump
    - BRS 50ml/min
    - Avast diaphragm pump
    - aqualifter with prefilter filled with polished small aquarium gravel (these can fail easily but are cheap to replace or rebuild. 1 year life in kalk is typical)

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    The best are any of the following roughly in order of what I think is best (though exact order is debatable)

- Cole palmer variable speed peristalic
    - DOS
    - Litermeter3 (add on pump)
    - Avast peristalic pump
    - BRS 50ml/min
    - Avast diaphragm pump
    - aqualifter with prefilter filled with polished small aquarium gravel (these can fail easily but are cheap to replace or rebuild. 1 year life in kalk is typical)

Thank you for the recommendations, I’ll try the Aqualifter (cheap/great reviews) and if I need something more maybe the Avast.

Frequent Visitor
    I have no issues with what zombie lists above. My reasoning is that I have lost 5 PMUPs and none of them have been in heavy use. The ones that have lasted over time have been in freshwater containers (two of them). Kalk is tough duty for most pumps. I love the PMUP for chores in and around my tank, but IT IS NOT a robust pump.

Don't put it in Kalk and expect it to last very long.

If the DOS is in your price range, do it.

Quote Originally Posted by wwanthony View Post
    I have no issues with what zombie lists above. My reasoning is that I have lost 5 PMUPs and none of them have been in heavy use. The ones that have lasted over time have been in freshwater containers (two of them). Kalk is tough duty for most pumps. I love the PMUP for chores in and around my tank, but IT IS NOT a robust pump.

Don't put it in Kalk and expect it to last very long.
    Just to add to this, I would never use kalk with ANY pump that uses an impeller even if it was otherwise bulletproof like an mj1200. Calcium carbonate and CO2 both are more soluable in colder temperatures and more likely to precipitate (or offgas) at higher temperatures. Calcium carbonate is also more soluable and less likely to precipitate at lower pH, which CO2 helps to depress. Pumps with an impeller are incredibly hot at the impeller and the precipitate that forms in this hot environment creates more friction, which creates more heat in a positive feedback loop that is a death sentence to the pump.