Thread: 0-10v control of Skimmer

Frequent Visitor

0-10v control of Skimmer

Hi

So I just switched my reef Octo skimmer to use 0-10v cable instead of power on and off. So I can Bette control the pump. I wrote the following program. Now when it’s set to auto it’s not running (shows ON above output but when I got to override ON it works.

The Schedule profile is 100% from 00:00 to 23:59

Set ON
    If FeedA 000 Then 0
    If FeedB 055 Then 0
    If FeedC 055 Then 0
    If FeedD 000 Then 0
    If Output Cor20 = OFF Then 0
    If Output Cor20 Percent < 90 Then 0
    Defer 005:00 Then ON
    If Power Apex Off 000 Then OFF

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have a defer in there, so make sure to wait 5 minutes. The power statement can be removed if you turn your cor off during a power outage.

Also, just to double check, you do have your energy bar plugged into a UPS correct? If not that power statement is invalid.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Also, just to double check, you do have your energy bar plugged into a UPS correct? If not that power statement is invalid.
    An EB being plugged into a UPS has nothing to do directly with the validity of the If Power Apex statement - the two are only indirectly related.

There are valid use cases for If Power Apex 000 Then OFF without a UPS being in the picture in any way. An example of one such case is if the 12v adapter is plugged into one electrical branch circuit which is used to power tank equipment (but no EBs which could report a loss of power), and one or more EBs) are plugged into a different branch circuit. If Power Apex 000 Then OFF (and in an email output, If Power Apex 000 Then ON) would then serve to indicate that the first circuit has no power.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by XLOR8T View Post
    If Power Apex Off 000 Then OFF
    Do you have a 12VDC adapter plugged into the Apex's aux power jack, and is the Power Monitor option enabled? If the answers to these questions are NO and YES respectively, then the Power Monitor option should be disabled.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    You have a defer in there, so make sure to wait 5 minutes. The power statement can be removed if you turn your cor off during a power outage.

When I was controlling with power if I went to on then auto it would bypass it. I guess in 0-10v it doesn’t work that way. I waited and it worked, thank you

I will be running the Cor pump on UPS and shutting everything else off. The vortech pumps are on a DIY 65Amp Hour backup and plugged off of EB.

EB plugged into UPS

Aux power plugged to same circuit. My home alarm system alerts if house power is out

I’m building a relay switch so that once UPS is depleted power is drawn from an inverter hooked up to another battery and I have a gas generator that I will need to manually run for longer outrages.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    Do you have a 12VDC adapter plugged into the Apex's aux power jack, and is the Power Monitor option enabled? If the answers to these questions are NO and YES respectively, then the Power Monitor option should be disabled.
    I have power monitoring enabled. I was trying to use the coding Then 0 in the 0-10v control but I guess that’s invalid. It made me use OFF

Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    An EB being plugged into a UPS has nothing to do directly with the validity of the If Power Apex statement - the two are only indirectly related.

There are valid use cases for If Power Apex 000 Then OFF without a UPS being in the picture in any way. An example of one such case is if the 12v adapter is plugged into one electrical branch circuit which is used to power tank equipment (but no EBs which could report a loss of power), and one or more EBs) are plugged into a different branch circuit. If Power Apex 000 Then OFF (and in an email output, If Power Apex 000 Then ON) would then serve to indicate that the first circuit has no power.
    True, but I have yet to see that case ever be used, so that is definitely a fringe case. The vast majority of cases 000 is used is in UPS applications and in the rare event the OP was in that fringe case, it would have been obvious as a special case to him. The question was more to determine if the OP didn't have a UPS set up and also had power monitoring enabled, which is a common mistake.

I have power monitoring enabled. I was trying to use the coding Then 0 in the 0-10v control but I guess that’s invalid. It made me use OFF

That's normal. If Power statements dont support the percentage statements. I don't entirely understand why that is the case other than it is stated as a limitation in the documentation. Must be some sort of deep technical limitation that's way over the heads of anybody outside the guys who write the firmware.

Frequent Visitor
    That's normal. If Power statements dont support the percentage statements. I don't entirely understand why that is the case other than it is stated as a limitation in the documentation. Must be some sort of deep technical limitation that's way over the heads of anybody outside the guys who write the firmware.

Thanks. What are the applications of the power apex 001 vs 000 what does that 1 min delay add? I have it in my alarm code but should I be using it for any of the outlet codes ?

Thanks. What are the applications of the power apex 001 vs 000 what does that 1 min delay add? I have it in my alarm code but should I be using it for any of the outlet codes ?

I would actually use 001 here. The 001 is active during both power outages and reboots and 000 is active only during power outages. Since the water level can rise during a reboot, it's best to shut off the skimmer when one occurs to prevent an overflow of skimmate into the sump.

Frequent Visitor
    I would actually use 001 here. The 001 is active during both power outages and reboots and 000 is active only during power outages. Since the water level can rise during a reboot, it's best to shut off the skimmer when one occurs to prevent an overflow of skimmate into the sump.

Thank you!

Frequent Visitor

Do I use both 000 or just 001 on each outlet command. Does 001 just mean it goes off when power is out and waits 1 min after power is restored before it goes back on?

Do I use both 000 or just 001 on each outlet command. Does 001 just mean it goes off when power is out and waits 1 min after power is restored before it goes back on?

Just 001 on this one. It means it will be active while power is out and for 1 minute following when power is restored or for 1 minute following a reboot. In my code, only the skimmer and email use 001.

The using both trick that you saw in my email is a clever way of overlapping so I can differentiate between a reboot and a power outage since 000 wont ever be true during a reboot the 001 picks during a reboot, but during a power outage the 000 overwrites the 001 so I get the 000 message.

Frequent Visitor
    Just 001 on this one. It means it will be active while power is out and for 1 minute following when power is restored or for 1 minute following a reboot. In my code, only the skimmer and email use 001.

The using both trick that you saw in my email is a clever way of overlapping so I can differentiate between a reboot and a power outage since 000 wont ever be true during a reboot the 001 picks during a reboot, but during a power outage the 000 overwrites the 001 so I get the 000 message.

Ok so only use the 001 for skimmer outlet? Anything else benefit from the 001 vs 000?

Ok so only use the 001 for skimmer outlet? Anything else benefit from the 001 vs 000?

Not really in most cases. The question you would ask though to determine which one to use is: "after 1 minute of outlets being in an indeterminate state during a reboot, is it important that this outlet be shut off to protect something". If the answer to that question is yes (such as a skimmer), 001 is what you want.

Frequent Visitor
    Not really in most cases. The question you would ask though to determine which one to use is: "after 1 minute of outlets being in an indeterminate state during a reboot, is it important that this outlet be shut off to protect something". If the answer to that question is yes (such as a skimmer), 001 is what you want.

Thanks