Thread: skimmer programming validation/updates

Frequent Visitor

skimmer programming validation/updates

I've started dosing Red Sea Energy, and want to modify my existing skimmer programming to shut down the skimmer for 60 minutes when dosing (by hand).

I'm using the Apex Classic - and it's been years since I originally set up some of the programming in use today, so I'm finding I'm re-learning some of what I thought I had learned and figured out when I set things up.

I use an UPS and one of my EB8's is on the UPS, and the other just using a pass through outlet on the same unit (surge protection only). I do not use the 12v power adapter (but could - mentioned later).

The UPS is not intended to be a long term back up power source, but instead, to mitigate power interruptions. So, I run my return pump, skimmer, MP40s and lights on the EB8 that uses the UPS. Not specific to the skimmer, but I also have the Ecotech battery backup unit for the MP40s (so that kicks in after the UPS dies, if the power is out longer that 15 minutes).

I also run a switch float in my skimmer cup to shut down the skimmer when the cup is full.

Here is my current skimmer code -

Fallback OFF
    Set ON
    If Power EB8_4 Off 010 Then ON
    If Outlet SkimmerFull = ON Then OFF

EB8_4 is my EB8 using surge protection only (so it goes offline when the house looses power). And after re-reading some of the posts about power delays, I am questioning if if my code is correct for a start up delay after a complete power outage.

So two questions -
    1 - what should the code be (and do I need to connect the 12V adapter) for the skimmer start up delay
    2 - where should the feed line be inserted in the code

And, is there a way in fusion to see the feed cycle timers? Or do I need to use the wired display or classic view for that?

Thank you!

Connect the AUX power supply between the base unit and the wall outlet the UPS is plugged into and enable power monitoring. I am assuming you want the skimmer OFF when this occurs, so I have rewritten your code assuming that. I am also assuming that FeedB is your manual addition and that your water level raises when your return is shut off.

Fallback OFF
    Set ON
    If Power Apex Off 001 Then OFF
    If Output SkimmerFull = ON Then OFF
    If Output ReturnName = OFF Then OFF
    If FeedB 000 Then OFF
    Defer 010:00 Then ON

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks Zombie -

Just for my understanding - what is the difference between monitoring power to the Apex via the 12v adapter to the wall versus the power state of the EB8_3 (which in my case, is using the surge protector outlet on the UPS, so essentially is the same as the wall power status).

And the advantage of the Defer statement is that it applies to all conditions for that outlet - so would also provide for a delay after the return pump comes back on line, regardless of power monitoring. - Right?

Thanks again!

Using power monitoring has the additional advantage of activating when the circuit that feeds your UPS trips, is more resistant to bugs (I have seen a few cases when for no apparent reason the EB8 didnt detect power loss when it lost power), and doesnt activate in the event the circuit that feeds the non UPS EB8 trips.

Yes, the point of the defer is so it applies globally and allows 10 minutes for water level to settle before turning on.

power monitoring (lower case) is a generic term often used for the capability of some EnergyBar models to monitor power consumption in Amps (and with the EB832, also in Watts) - we could call it power USAGE monitoring

Power Monitoring (with capital P and M) is a feature in the Apex which, if enabled, turns the Apex's aux power input into a power detection sensor; this requires a 12VDC AC/DC adapter to be plugged into the Apex and into an outlet on the electrical branch circuit to be monitored. Basically, the Power Monitor feature detects if power is present or not present on that power jack. The If Power Apex (Off/On) ### Then (ON/OFF) statement is used to test for the presence or lack of power on the aux power jack, and the Apex can then be programmed to send an alarm and to shut certain outlets off if a loss of power is detected. It can also be used to turn selected outputs ON during a power loss, but that's not as commonly done.

The most common usage scenario:

An EnergyBar is plugged into a UPS (battery-backup system), a 12v adapter is connected as described above, and Power Monitor is enabled.

• If Power Apex Off 001 Then ON is used in the email output program to trigger an alarm notification if a loss of power is detected
    • If Power Apex Off ### Then OFF is used in selected outlet programs for non-critical and/or power-hungry equipment to turn those outlets OFF, thereby reducing the load on the UPS and extending the runtime of that UPS.

The most common error in the area is that some people enable the Power Monitoring feature (without a clear understanding of what it does), but do not have a 12v adapter connected as described above. Because there will be no power detected by the Apex on the aux power jack, the Apex "thinks" it is in a continuous state of partial power loss, If Power Apex statements will always be true, and that often causes outlets in which If Power Apex is incorrectly used to not tun ON as expect. If Power Apex Off ### Then OFF, being always true, just keeps those outlet OFF.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks Russ -

If my email access is also dependent on house power (i.e., house router to house cable provided internet service) - I'm assuming the power outage alert wouldn't go through at the point the power outage is detected by the Apex. I had not set up an email alert for that with that understanding.

Can you confirm?

Quote Originally Posted by Detour View Post
    Thanks Russ -

If my email access is also dependent on house power (i.e., house router to house cable provided internet service) - I'm assuming the power outage alert wouldn't go through at the point the power outage is detected by the Apex. I had not set up an email alert for that with that understanding.

Can you confirm?
    Your router also needs to be on a UPS or battery backuo to receive notifications. Fortunately routers dont draw much power and run off 12V so you dont need a very large UPS or battery to keep them running for a long time.