Thread: Multiple tanks

New User

Multiple tanks

Hello anybody, How many tanks can I control with one system

Theoretically, as many as you want as long as you dont use more than 256 modules. Practically I wouldn't do more than 10 and many people running a lot of tanks like to have at least two apex head units so they dont have a single point of failure for all of their tanks.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

New User
    I have 6 55gallons . I like the idea of having 2 control heads , do they just link together with the ( computer cord ) I forget what it’s called . Also I’m using this for aquaponics since it’s cheaper than greenhouse controllers and frankly a lot better in my view . Also how do u string the power strips together do u plug them into each other

The two head units need to be completely separate electrically. You would connect one head unit to the peripherals of 5 of the tanks in daisy chain and or parallel (any open aquabus port, just dont make a loop) and connect another head unit to the other 5. You can use separate energy bars for each tank or combine them if you dont need that many outlets. You will need a PM1 or PM2 module for each tank that needs temp monitored (the head unit gives you a freebee). In the event one head unit fails for any reason, you can move the modules from the other tank and copy paste the code over to temporarily run them all off one.

New User
    Ok , so if the head unit never fails I can run the 6 tanks from one unit . I need two power bars for each tank , for temp , heaters , ph orp etc , sump pumps , filter , lights , dos , powerheads , automatic feeders , how or is there any way to hook up the second control to run it all if the first fails without having to (move ) anything like with raspberry pi where if one fails the other just takes over .

No automatic throw over right now and not sure if they can technically accomplish that in the future.

With that kind of module load per tank you will definitely need multiple head units. Too many inputs and outputs can bug down the processor. On the classic that was around 100 outputs (including virtual) or over about 15 modules. The 2016 has a better processor and I'm not sure where that point is for it, but you will probably hit it.

New User
    I have the 2016 , I never thought about the backup head unit although it sounds great and now I must have it. Maybe I will just start plugging things in and if the processor slows down I can just take things off of the apex for example powerheads , lights . Or maybe have two units each controlling half of the modules . My tanks are freshwater and my air input is a stand alone pump with a back up , so everything is not as critical as with saltwater tanks. I’m trying to match aquariums and aquaponics all together with the same controllers to make my life easier . Thanks for your help much appreciated !!!!

New User
    For those with multiple tanks, how do you track test results per tank?