Thread: Calibration issues with the salinity and ph probes

New User

Calibration issues with the salinity and ph probes

I am away from home quite a bit due to my job. Purchased the apex so I could control things while I’m away. Seems like a great system that would fit my needs. However, calibration failed with both the ph and salinity probes using the Neptune solutions. Paid a lot of money to have some piece of mind. Not the case. Obviously the ability to program my equipment is nice but for the money I have paid, would like to at least see accurate measures of the parameters the apex is supposed to provide.

If calibration failed on both probes, my first impression would be that you didnt seat them correctly. The pH needs to be locked into place and the conductivity probe needs to be pressed in all the way so it kinda clicks in.

The conductivity probe is incredibly accurate when properly calibrated, but it's very touchy and particular about how you calibrate it. There are several threads where I go over my procedure and the various gotchas. The most important things Are that the probe soaks for at least a day before calibrating, you rinse in RODI and pat dry with a paper towel for the dry step, and that the packet matches tank temp exactly and no bubbles are in the probe during the wet step

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    In addition to what Zombie touched on, which are very likely the issue, try your best to route the probe wires with as much space between them and any power cables. I think we've all had failed calibrations. Solution temp and air bubbles are the biggest culprits. Once calibrated properly the system is very accurate.

You should stick up on calibration packets. Pinpoint packets can be found on Amazon for $20 for 10 7.0 and 10 10.0. That's a buck a packet. Regardless of the system manufacturer, these two probes should be calibrated a minimum of once a quarter.

pH I like to do monthly (if used to control anything) since it's so easy for the probe to drift even with a double junction. Cond stays pretty stable so quarterly is more than plenty for that. If you're trying to pinch pennies on cond, Randy has a recipe that can be made for about a penny with RODI and table salt.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk