Thread: 1⁄2" FLOW SENSOR FS50 Application Question...

1⁄2" FLOW SENSOR FS50 Application Question...

Hey Guys,
    So I installed a turf scrubber for nutrient export, and it has a half inch barb input. I am using a Jebao 3000 to power it.
    The specs of the Jebao are posted below...

So I am using 3/4 inch barb out of the pump then convert to to half inch with a 3/4 to 1/2 barb......
    I then installed a 1/2 flow sensor right before the input of the turf scrubber which is half inch.... My flow sensor is properly configured to a half inch FS and is reading 208 GPH..... Is there a limitation on the 1/2 inch flow sensor on GPH??? I have a one inch flow sensor sitting in a box, and know it could accommodate more flow, but my thought is why would I want to know the FR of the water coming out of pump, wouldn't I want the FS50 Installed on the water entering the scrubber with 1/2 ???
    Tubing:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH5G-S0PYwg&feature=youtu.be

Flow Rate in Scrubber:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7cZ...ature=youtu.be
    Thoughts????
    Thx in Advance,
    Steve

JEBAO DC3000 WATER PUMP:

• - Max Flow: 800GPH (3000L/Hr)
    • - Max Head: 3m
    • - Power: 25Watt
    • - Imput: AC100-240V 50/60HZ
    • - Output: 24V
    • - High performance motor with innovative electronics and energy savings up to 50%
    • - Automatic power-off protection when dry
    • - Motor protection when impeller is blocked
    • - Super quiet operation
    • - 3/4" barb
    • - Outlet: 1" MPT, 1/2" - 3/4" - 1" barb

That sensor tops out at 250 gph

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

So would you think the true reading is higher? Is there any way to get the true read into the 1/2 inch line???

Playing with the settings, setting this FS50 to 1/2 Inch I get 210GPH, One Inch 1500 GPH, and 2 Inch 6000 GPH. Any correlation??? Or higher numbers mean nothing??

It's possible the reading is higher. You are close to its limit so it could be saturating. You can always double check by directing the output of the turf scrubber into a bucket of known volume and timing it.

The levels shown if you set to a different flow sensor are irrelevant. They are scaled to read the flow sensor voltage very differently. Those are full scale limit of the other two sensors though, so that gives some extra credence that the flow is above the max reading.

How about if I use a one inch sensor which I have an extra on the half inch tubing going into scrubber... Use One inch slip to half inch barb on sensor?

Curious if half inch tubing or pvc can handle flow rates of 400-500gph. Clearwater states they recommend 450 GPH through this CW-200 Scrubber....
    Heck the input barb is half inch.....

That would increase the range so the reading isnt saturated.

So yes??? Can Half Inch handle flow rates of 400-500 gph?

Half inch can handle flow rates far exceeding 500 gph, but you may not be able to reach that flowrate using half inch. The friction losses of 1/2 inch can be quite high. 3/4" would be much more efficient.

1⁄2" FLOW SENSOR FS50 Application Question...

Gotcha,
    I am working with this 1/2 inch barb inlet so no choice.....

So let’s say im getting 500gph on the one inch fs, using 3/4 tubing coming out of pump, then we convert to 1/2 inch and cut in another 1 inch fs. What would you think gph would be there??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard to calculate. You will get the most flow if you use 3/4 for the entire run, or at least use it for the run up to the flow sensor and use 1/2 between the flow sensor and the reactor.

But wouldn’t that be a false reading? So 3/4 going into sensor would be faster, water goes through sensor reads let’s say 500 gph? Then coming out you reduce to the 1/2 inch, doesn’t flow rate slow down again hence the 500 gph means nothing cause I need flow rate going into Scrubber , and specifically to be 450???

Quote Originally Posted by DarthSimon View Post
    But wouldn’t that be a false reading? So 3/4 going into sensor would be faster, water goes through sensor reads let’s say 500 gph? Then coming out you reduce to the 1/2 inch, doesn’t flow rate slow down again hence the 500 gph means nothing cause I need flow rate going into Scrubber , and specifically to be 450???

The flow sensor doesnt care what size tubing is used before or after it. Its diameter is constant. The size tubing you use, number and size of fittings, and how much the tubing turns effects the frictional and minor losses which act to reduce the flow the pump is capable of providing. A long run of 3/4" with a short run of 1/2" will have less losses than a short run of 3/4" with a long run of 1/2" and adaptors with higher minor losses (3/4 barb to 1" slip has half the loss of a 1/2 barb to 1" slip). You may not need the extra oomph, but that's one way to get it if 1/2" doesnt get you where you want.

Do using this configuration, This 800 gph get me about 290-300 gph running through one inch sensor.

3/4 inch going into sensor, half inch coming out.

Frequent Visitor LobsterOfJustice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthSimon View Post

Unless you are splitting off the line to feed something else, it doesn’t matter where in the plumbing the sensor is placed. The same volumetric flow rate applies to the entire plumbing regardless of reducing or upsizing the tubing/pipe. The same amount of water is going in one end as is coming out the other.

180g reef with all the bells and whistles

New User
    I am looking to do something similar for an algae reactor. Where did you get the adapters for connecting the flow sensor to your half-inch line. I know the threading on the sensor is BSPP 1/2" - not the usual in the US.