Thread: OSC Command for modulating Varios8 return pump

Regular Vistor

OSC Command for modulating Varios8 return pump

Hi everyone,
    Ok I've banged my head on this a bunch. I want to have my pump oscillate between 22% and 24% every 15 seconds, all day and all night. This will average out and smooth the drain on my sump so that the flow going out and in are approx equal. (Yes, I tried 23% and it's a hair off, tripping the float switch in the sump, shutting off the pump while the sump refills then autostarting again).

I'm trying to oscillate because I feel like the slow up and down will have less wear/tear on my pump, and result in less "Bang! I'm on!" then "Bang! I'm off!".

Here's my code (which does NOT work).

Fallback ON
    Set 22
    OSC 0/0:15/0:05 Then ON
    Set 24
    If FeedA 005 Then OFF

I've also tried:
    Fallback ON
    Set 24
    OSC 0/0:15/0:05 Then ON
    Set 20
    If FeedA 005 Then OFF

Can someone help me with this?

Many thanks!

That's not the proper way to go about that. Define a profile of pump type with min 22, max 24 on time 15, off time 15, divide by ten left unchecked. Then use

Set profilename

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Also, if 23 is too much, oscillating between 22 and 24 will not fix the issue since the average percentage is still 23.

Regular Vistor
    So I don't use the osc command at all? Phew! Thanks! You're right. I think I'll use 21 and 24... which should average out to 22.5. Thank again, zombie!

Quote Originally Posted by Silbane View Post
    So I don't use the osc command at all? Phew! Thanks! You're right. I think I'll use 21 and 24... which should average out to 22.5. Thank again, zombie!
    Or use 22 and 23, or use 22 and 24 with the on time set 5 seconds and the off time set 10. Lots of ways to skin the cat.

Regular Vistor
    Tank Design.jpghi everyone: just tdiagram.JPGthought I'd share the outcome (thanks Zombie)... so I replaced the entire system with 1" pipes. I also simplified some turns etc. Weirdly, after doing all this and turning the system on, now my Varios8 runs at 100% rather than 25%. It basically moves about 2700 gph up (losing head to about 1800 gph) which then exactly matches my gravity feeds down into Sump1. If anyone followed my diagramming, you can see that I have the following setup. Since 50% is constantly going to the main DT, m6 FLO sensor sees this as about 750gph flow. However, this doesn't account for the other 750gph going through Sump2 (I'm guesstimating here)... end result is this:

I'm able to maintain up to about 850gph max flow if I completely cut out Sump2 using my gate valves to isolate it. Since that's not an option, I've found getting to 750gph is a good compromise and moves water through Sump2 and the protein skimmer in a nice flow.

Note in the diagrams, the nice one was what I planned... the hand drawn one is what I implemented. I am NOT running two or three pumps inline with each other. Each loop is independent and closed off from the other. It really doesn't matter because if you look at my handdrawn diagram, you can see I only ended up with 1 pump. Everything else is either gravity or siphon fed.

Thanks to Zombie for his advice. Thanks to everyone else for not blasting my noob questions.

Overall, if I could do it again, I'd probably spend some time thinking through the head pressure stuff better.