Thread: ALD sensors on a concrete floor.

Frequent Visitor

ALD sensors on a concrete floor.

After reading over the weekend on how an ALD/LDK saved a potential disaster I got to thinking I need to get mine hooked back up. A few months ago I upgraded my Apex and in doing so I pulled up the sensors. When I did I noticed the contacts were corroding from sitting on bare concrete, it was upsetting to see but I know it was entirely my fault. Concrete never completely drys out and there must have been enough enough moisture and humidity in the room to create a galvanic reaction without tripping the sensors. One of them is pretty much toast but the other two I have should be still usable. I haven't hooked them or the module back up yet.

I know I should have sealed the floor before installing the system in my fish room. The display is 220 inwall with a 120 sump and a 60 frag. There's also a mixing station in there, so it is what it is now. I don't want to seal around the stands and sump due to the vapors released when putting a sealant down. There's too much livestock at risk for that. I'm looking for something I can put down to keep the sensors off the concrete but won't just let water run under it until the water gets high enough to trip them. I'm also concerned about salt residue on the floor from those unavoidable splashes and the spills from my own stupidity lol.

Is there a good water based sealant that doesn't give off a lot of vapors or should I look for some type of vinyl sheeting? Any and all thoughts welcome, thanks!

Set the sensor on a paper towel, hand towel, piece of fabric, etc. Anything that will easily soak up water but stay drier than the concrete when the floor isnt wet.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks! That's a great idea. I was thinking about using this in small patches where I plan to put the senors. I'm going to test fabric out 1st.