Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wav Alternating Flow Patterns

Wav Alternating Flow Patterns

Hey Guys,
    Decided to give the Wav Power Heads a try.... So with my previous Gyre's 230's they would alternate back and forth. One would go High and the other Low. Is there a way to achieve this? I have 2 pumps... One one left side, and one on right. I have the left pump set to a couple of different modes..
    Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 4.34.36 PM.jpg

Then I set all the modes to inverse like this for the right WAV.

Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 4.37.48 PM.jpg

But it seems like the power of both Wav's combined total up to % of the master....
    Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 4.40.22 PM.png

WHat are my options here to make them alternate??

Thanks Guys,
    Steve

I personally like to do an alternating sine wave sort of look and just call out the modes. Gives a bit more freedom and randomness. You could have trestles clashing with Malibu or Mavericks clashing with pulse etc.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Use Pulse for a setting on WavePumpLeft and inverse on the right. Then play around with the Pluse time on the left until you get what your looking for.

For all the other modes on the right select the same one your using on the left. To easily do that you can copy the left's settings to the right then just change any pulse modes you have on the left to inverse on the right.

Frequent Visitor
    There are a ton of options like Zombie mentions. But to get the what your looking for compared the gyres its pulse and inverse. Then set the pulse timing in the master, or left pump. Here's mine.

The timing will be different based on the size of your tank and the placement of the wav's.

So Zombie,
    Are you saying just start with my left Wav Programming and just write alternating code or waves that match the times with different wave patterns and intensity’s??

Anit77
    Are you saying that the only want to alternate is using a pulse mode and inverse on slave pump?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DarthSimon View Post
    So Zombie,
    Are you saying just start with my left Wav Programming and just write alternating code or waves that match the times with different wave patterns and intensity’s??

Anit77
    Are you saying that the only want to alternate is using a pulse mode and inverse on slave pump?

Here is an example (I use a gyre and a WAV but the principle can be the same). The second pump could be the same or different mode at any of those points.

That’s cool, how were you able to control the Gyre through Apex??

Frequent Visitor
    Anit77
    No, there's tons of options of modes and intensities you have at your fingertips that can be applied on each powerhead.

But to get a pulsing pattern with one pump on and the other off you use Pulse/Inverse. Then adjust the timing of the pulse with the master pump, in this case left for your setup, until you get the pattern your looking for.

That’s cool, how were you able to control the Gyre through Apex??

Ice cap module and variable speed ports.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Ice cap module and variable speed ports.

yep...

So I ran these two Profiles on both pumps:

left.jpg
    right.jpg

So you will notice at 19:30 hours 7:30pm I should be getting 20 Percent Full Malibu Power on right WAV, and 50 Percent Mirror on left which should be around 10?
    If I watch the 2 WAVS speeds even in local, you get anywhere from 12-15 or 16 on Right WAV which is set to 20, and 4-7 on the left which is set to Mirror at 50% so should I bet getting AROUND 10??? Why do these numbers fluctuate and not go to the 20% like I set it for? Is this how it ramps waves??
    Attached Images Attached Images

Really strange, my mirrored pump speeds don't make sense. The master pumps are running around 20-30% (Even though I have max set to 25) and the mirrored slave is around 5-6 even though I have them set to 50%. Should the slave be running at 10-15??? Which is 50% of master??

Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 9.42.50 PM.jpg

Your slave is varying from 50% of master to 20% of master. Using that kind of oscillating intensities, it is best to avoid mirror and inverse and just use a different mode or the same mode. I wish the inverse and mirror worked as percentages of nominal rather than percentage of master to make that kind of behavior easier.

Ok,
    So I changed my schedule to just have the same modes and the same times. One WAV has a higher speed and one has a lower speed, and they alternate power percentages every other line. Take a look....
    l.jpg

r.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 10.26.57 PM.jpg

And here the left pump is set to 0 and right to 15 for the current time, yet I'm getting 4 on left and 3 on right.....
    result.png

What am I missing?? lol .

(Please disregard photo below..... For some reason I am deleting photos and they are still showing up.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

They may not mirror exactly when you first upload because the algorithm started at different times. You could either wait until the next mode change or reboot.

Zombie,
    So do these modes for example (Malibu) fluctuate up and down??? I am used to the Vortechs showing a power indicator, and they would never fluctuate? If power is set to 20% it would stay at 20%... The Wav pumps ramp up and down in real time???

They show the real time intensity at the moment it was polled.

Frequent Visitor
    Only Constant, Pulse and Pipeline use a constant, set flow percentage. With all other modes the percentage varies over a set period of time. For those when you set a percentage level you are setting the "high" level that the powerheads will not go over, but they will go down as low as 1%. This high level is to keep you from having a sand storm.

If you click the help button in the WAV programming (the "?" In the upper left) then click "Modes" you will see the descriptions for each of the modes.

Thank you!

New User
    Hey all,

Long time Apex user here.....first time on the Neptune forum.

I had a couple of questions i was hoping to get some answers too before pulling the trigger on the wav pumps. Hoping someone here can help.

1. I have a standard 120. Are the pumps going to be too much for that 4' footprint? I have read different answers across the net and just looking for confirmation that the pumps will be alright in the tank. Tanks is SPS dominant.
    2. I like running pulse mode. Am I correct in understanding if I run pulse, the pump that is running in slow speed will still push 1800 gph at 1%? Or, is there a way to configure pulse where one pump pulses at say 25% for 2 seconds and the other pump is completely off? The reason I ask is because if one pump pulses at 1800 in slow then the other pump it seems will have to come up to around 3000 gph just to overtake the pumps at 1%.

Thanks so much for any answers and clarification. Hope this thread is will still give alerts to my post. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jbatt View Post
    Hey all,

Long time Apex user here.....first time on the Neptune forum.

I had a couple of questions i was hoping to get some answers too before pulling the trigger on the wav pumps. Hoping someone here can help.

1. I have a standard 120. Are the pumps going to be too much for that 4' footprint? I have read different answers across the net and just looking for confirmation that the pumps will be alright in the tank. Tanks is SPS dominant.
    2. I like running pulse mode. Am I correct in understanding if I run pulse, the pump that is running in slow speed will still push 1800 gph at 1%? Or, is there a way to configure pulse where one pump pulses at say 25% for 2 seconds and the other pump is completely off? The reason I ask is because if one pump pulses at 1800 in slow then the other pump it seems will have to come up to around 3000 gph just to overtake the pumps at 1%.

Thanks so much for any answers and clarification. Hope this thread is will still give alerts to my post. Thanks.
    Two WAVs is perfect for a 120 SPS dominant. I personally prefer Mavericks and Malibu over pulse because they seem to provide more turbulence.

You should be targeting a total flow rate of around 6000 for SPS dominant between the two pumps. The flow rate is roughly equivalent to the RPM shown, so if you have one at 1%, the other should be close to 100%

New User
    Hey Zombie, thanks so much for the quick reply.

Just needed that confirmation that the pumps would be alright in a 120. I have read some post of people saying they need to be in a 5 or 6' tank.

I was also used to gyres where one would pulse high and the other would be close to being off.

I liked the look of the Mavericks profile a lot as well. Does Mavericks compare well to reef crest for the Vortechs? I would also like to go after that more random turbulence with the wav. I'm not really getting that right now with the gyres.

Thanks again for the help.

Hey Zombie, thanks so much for the quick reply.

Just needed that confirmation that the pumps would be alright in a 120. I have read some post of people saying they need to be in a 5 or 6' tank.

I was also used to gyres where one would pulse high and the other would be close to being off.

I liked the look of the Mavericks profile a lot as well. Does Mavericks compare well to reef crest for the Vortechs? I would also like to go after that more random turbulence with the wav. I'm not really getting that right now with the gyres.

Thanks again for the help.
    I use one WAV and a gyre in a 3' tank so they will work just fine in a 4'.

Mavericks is really similar to reef crest

New User
    Perfect. Thanks for the help.

The question now is to hold out or not for a possible black friday sale!!!!

Thanks again for the quick replies. Really appreciate it.

Perfect. Thanks for the help.

The question now is to hold out or not for a possible black friday sale!!!!

Thanks again for the quick replies. Really appreciate it.
    Neptune stuff doesn't really go on sale even for black Friday. The best I have seen was 10% off on black friday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast