Thread: Par readings High

Par readings High

I just installed a PMK and all went well. The issue is my par values. 6000 range with AI 26 HD set low for night. Blue 3%
    4-5 thousand range with living room lights on only.
    2500-3500 in darkness. MAX is at 5000. MIN is at -42. Graph works in fusion.
    Also don’t see readings on my display module?
    Thanks for any help in advance.

Frequent Contributor SuncrestReef's Avatar
    Have you checked the Configuration settings page for the ASM module to confirm the Probe Type is set to Par? There are 3 possible probe types it can be set to: Par, 0-1V, 0-5V.

It is set to par

This morning with AI’s at 25% cw at 6%, reading 7340. Response to light change seems good.

Update-10:30 AM blues are at 50% cool white is at 20%. It seems to of flatlined at 7340

It’s about 12 noon, blues are up to 90% cool whites are still at 20% and we’re still at 7340 that seems to be the peak flatline

OKAY- trying to get to the bottom of this with tech support.
    I just noticed on my dispplay, when choosing “set probe MIN” It displays “ASM MAX VALUE”
    MAX: 0000

This is certainly wrong isn’t it?

I put the probe minimum offset to -5000 and got a zero in darkness. Is soon as it hit ambient light it jumped to 4000 something. I think the sensor is fine, I’m leaning towards software issue or a firmware issue I should say. Maybe a bad update. ANYBODY OUT THERE?

Making such radical changes is not going to resolve the issue properly; you may be able to get semi-realistic readings that way, but it won't be right.

Continue working with technical support.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Thanks for the reply Russ, does your display say ASM Max: when you try to set probe minimums? Mine does, sounds like a firmware issue to me. As far as being radical, I have incrementally changed the minimum value even though it says Max on mine for hours and hours. When I noticed my minimum Actually says Max on my display it made sense to me to get to zero I would have to go to -5000 to offset the positive 5000 on the actual Max. I was correct I get a zero in the dark at -5000. It’s the only place I get a zero. And I am not inadvertently throwing radical changes at it. Any ideas why my min set says max?
    Last edited by mkeller088; 06-30-2018 at 12:48. Reason: Spelling

I am 500 miles from my tank ATM so cannot check my display.

Use the web interface to configure the ASM module. That is preferred over using the display. There have been no ASM-related updates in quite a while so if you’ve discovered a bug in the display menu, it’s probably not new.

Switch the ASM to 0-5v mode. Reset the Min and Max Range to 0 and 5000 respectively. Disconnect and reconnect the ASM from Aquabus. Then switch the mode back to Par. See if that makes a difference.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

I’m on my way home now Russ, I really appreciate the input and I will try that and get back to you thanks

Results: followed your instructions, par reading came down to 869. (240 in 5mv mode). Tried an -869 offset. It dropped to -670. Kept adding offset. At -1111 it went to 0 😀. All this in black out. I then put it in normal living room light.....5452😡😡.
    It does say minimum using dashboard.
    NOTE: Par/Input Setup reads
    Offset 6546
    Scale 7.c40

I did not touch these

No takers on this thread except Russ. I have a call with tech support on Tues night. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by mkeller088 View Post
    No takers on this thread except Russ. I have a call with tech support on Tues night. I’ll let you know how it goes.
    so what happened? i am having a similar issue but with very low par readings with sensor 10" below a kessil 360 tuna blue with the intensity of the kessil set at 70% and my par says 20........ really......
    Reefing is my passion, 500 Gallon Display tank with an additional 150 gallon sump room in the basement

I had a bad sensor and a bad board. I had no way to know why because I picked them up on eBay. The support group was great and helped me out on the price because of my expense on eBay. Now I’m very happy and based on what you posted I would expect your readings to be close to 300. I’m using AI Hydro HD 26’s. My lights are 10 inches above the water and my sensor is 10 inches below the water line, at 25% for the whites and 100% on the blues I’m getting 200 which is exactly what I would expect.

Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    I am 500 miles from my tank ATM so cannot check my display.

Use the web interface to configure the ASM module. That is preferred over using the display. There have been no ASM-related updates in quite a while so if you’ve discovered a bug in the display menu, it’s probably not new.

Switch the ASM to 0-5v mode. Reset the Min and Max Range to 0 and 5000 respectively. Disconnect and reconnect the ASM from Aquabus. Then switch the mode back to Par. See if that makes a difference.
    i did this and vola its fixed
    Reefing is my passion, 500 Gallon Display tank with an additional 150 gallon sump room in the basement

Quote Originally Posted by mkeller088 View Post
    I had a bad sensor and a bad board. I had no way to know why because I picked them up on eBay. The support group was great and helped me out on the price because of my expense on eBay. Now I’m very happy and based on what you posted I would expect your readings to be close to 300. I’m using AI Hydro HD 26’s. My lights are 10 inches above the water and my sensor is 10 inches below the water line, at 25% for the whites and 100% on the blues I’m getting 200 which is exactly what I would expect.
    got it and i am taking measurements all around my 30" depth 500 gallon tank at the top i am getting anywhere from 300 all the way up to 404 in one spot and at the bottom anywhere from 165 to 205 range this is with kessil 360's tuna blues and 4 kessil AP700;s i like those readings ;-)

It looks to me like you’re in good shape

you bet cha!
    Attached Images Attached Images