Thread: DIY audible alarm

Aquaphile

DIY audible alarm

Have any of you DYI guys created an audible alarm for the APEX 2016 without having to purchase the display?

I haven't personally but I have seen quite a few in the forums. You can use an energy bar outlet or the 24V accessory port to trigger a buzzer, siren, radio, etc.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor LobsterOfJustice's Avatar
    Looking for hardware recommendation for alarm
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...5&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    180g reef with all the bells and whistles

Aquaphile
    Read through the links, thanks LobsterOfJustice, and it looks like it would cost about $60.00 for parts to make one that will work with the APEX 2016 so I guess I will just spend the $100.00 and get a new display that has one built in. Thanks all for the quick response to my question.

Where are you getting $60 from? The parts lobster used were $26 plus shipping for everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrT View Post
    Read through the links, thanks LobsterOfJustice, and it looks like it would cost about $60.00 for parts to make one that will work with the APEX 2016 so I guess I will just spend the $100.00 and get a new display that has one built in. Thanks all for the quick response to my question.

Aquaphile
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Where are you getting $60 from? The parts lobster used were $26 plus shipping for everything.

It's very possible that I am confused as to what is needed but from reading the post this is what I thought I would need to make it work properly through my APEX 2016:
    APEX 24v Power Supply $29.95
    APEX DC24 Bare Cable $17.95
    Neptune Systems Flat Rate Ground Shipping $15.00
    Sub total $62.90
    24v Buzzer(Amazon) $6.44
    Total $69.34
    OR
    Display Module $99.95 which I can pick up at my LFS

MrT, it's not really a "or" thing. A DIY audible alarm is rarely intended to replace the display module - they are not even close to being equivalents. The display module does not produce loud sounds; you may be able to hear it in the next room, but probably not throughout the whole house. The people who have made and used such DIY alarms (me included) are typically doing so to get really loud alarm sounds. LobsterOfJustice said it quite well in the thread he linked to earlier in this thread:

"Want something loud enough to wake me up that would only be used in critical emergency (water on the floor, no return flow, etc) situations."
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

You don't need the power supply for a buzzer. Lobster needed that because he added it to his FMM. In a 2016 apex you just need the DC24 cable and the buzzer itself because the accessory ports on the EB832 are powered internally.

Aquaphile
    You don't need the power supply for a buzzer. Lobster needed that because he added it to his FMM. In a 2016 apex you just need the DC24 cable and the buzzer itself because the accessory ports on the EB832 are powered internally.

Got it, thank you and that obviously makes a big difference.

I have a loud piezo buzzer on an EB832 24V output. This one, easily hooked up via the Neptune bare wire cable. It doesn't replace the rather quiet display alarm, but complements it. The display adds two more notification tiles which can be used for higher level alerts that require an audible alarm, as opposed to the standard text alarm tile which is more appropriate for less urgent matters. To program the buzzer alarm, I just link it directly to activation of the display alarm, using an OSC command so that it oscillates on and off (more likely to wake me) rather than a continuous drone.

Fallback OFF
    OSC 000:00/000:02/000:02 Then ON
    If Output DisplayAlarm = OFF Then OFF

Aquaphile
    Quote Originally Posted by rkpetersen View Post
    I have a loud piezo buzzer on an EB832 24V output. This one, easily hooked up via the Neptune bare wire cable. It doesn't replace the rather quiet display alarm, but complements it. The display adds two more notification tiles which can be used for higher level alerts that require an audible alarm, as opposed to the standard text alarm tile which is more appropriate for less urgent matters. To program the buzzer alarm, I just link it directly to activation of the display alarm, using an OSC command so that it oscillates on and off (more likely to wake me) rather than a continuous drone.

Fallback OFF
    If Output DisplayAlarm = OFF Then OFF
    The two tiles that were added are they the SNDWRN and SNDALM tiles that are on the Classic and APEX Jr display module?
    I like your ideal of the alarm oscillating on and off.
    I ordered a similar buzzer and the Bare cable and hopefully will hook it up to my APEX 2016 next week.

The two tiles that were added are they the SNDWRN and SNDALM tiles that are on the Classic and APEX Jr display module?
    Yup. Same deal with the 2016. I only use one of them, and tuck the other away in tile storage.

Aquaphile
    Received the Buzzer and Barewire cable today. Plugged it into my EB832 to Accessory port A which is now named Alarm_1

I added the oscillating command
    as mentioned above by rkpetersen, but it did not turn on and off like I expected it to do just made a constant beep until I turned off the switch, so I'm confused with that.
    Here is my coding for it:

Alarm_1

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Leak_L CLOSED Then ON
    If Leak_R CLOSED Then ON
    If Lo_H20 OPEN Then ON

And Wow, it certainly is one loud buzzer which definitely will get my attention if it detects a leak which is its primary directive.
    Thank you!

Received the Buzzer and Barewire cable today. Plugged it into my EB832 to Accessory port A which is now named Alarm_1

I added the oscillating command
    as mentioned above by rkpetersen, but it did not turn on and off like I expected it to do just made a constant beep until I turned off the switch, so I'm confused with that.
    Here is my coding for it:

Alarm_1

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Leak_L CLOSED Then ON
    If Leak_R CLOSED Then ON
    If Lo_H20 OPEN Then ON

And Wow, it certainly is one loud buzzer which definitely will get my attention if it detects a leak which is its primary directive.
    Thank you!
    You need two separate outlets. One virtual to tell it when to turn on, the other set with the OSC

vSndAlarm
    Set OFF
    If Leak_L CLOSED Then ON
    If Leak_R CLOSED Then ON
    If Lo_H20 OPEN Then ON

Acc output
    Fallback OFF
    If Output vSndAlarm = OFF Then OFF

Regular Vistor
    [QUOTE=zombie;147164]You need two separate outlets. One virtual to tell it when to turn on, the other set with the OSC

You need two separate outlets. One virtual to tell it when to turn on, the other set with the OSC

vSndAlarm
    Set OFF
    If Leak_L CLOSED Then ON
    If Leak_R CLOSED Then ON
    If Lo_H20 OPEN Then ON

Acc output
    Fallback OFF
    If Output vSndAlarm = OFF Then OFF

I also don't have a display so I added a buzzer to the 24V outlet on the EB832. The above code helped me a lot, but it took me a while to figure out how to add a virtual output. If someone is like me and struggles to find it, it is well described in the Apex getting started instructions, Control Freak in Training. Thanks zombie!