Thread: Using Tunze Osomolator for dosing calcium

Regular Vistor

Using Tunze Osomolator for dosing calcium

Hi all,
    Hoping you can help me. I want to use APEX to control my Tunze Osmolator to add calcium to my tank.

The tunze will activate if I setup the sensors for normal ATO. Can I also have (and is it safe) if I spike my ATO water with some Calcium, then when my PH probe says PH is low, it activates my Tunze for a little bit (like 1 gph) to add a little calcium to the system. Can I also make sure it doesn't ATO if my PH is high (above 8.3).

Am I mixing things and creating more problems than I'm solving?

Thanks,

V

I assume you mean Kalkwasser and not calcium.

Unless you separate the pump only fro. The osmolator and use the apex to replace the Tunze controller rather than act as a backup, you are limited to

Fallback ON
    Set ON
    If pH > 8.3 Then OFF
    Min Time 030:00 Then OFF

You cant do any extra features like you want, and in general it is not a good idea to dose Kalk to temporarily adjust pH. The way you control pH is by increasing aeration, increasing photosynthesis vs fish ratio, or increasing your nominal ALK level.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    Understood, and yes, I meant Kalkwasser.

Ok... so the osmolator could deal with exclusively fresh water ATO.

I could put together a Kalkwasser jug and use another pump (PMUP?) or a dosing module (is DOS worth it, seems way expensive compared to Jebao DP4) and titrate the correct ml per day over 24 hours.

Does this second path seem less error prone?

You can add kalk to your osmolator, but you cant control when it adds water. It is standalone in that regard.

Regular Vistor
    What do you think of this route?:

1. ATO run by Tunze, no additives to RODI, just top off water.
    2. Dose tank with a DOS or another dosing pump with Kalkwasser as needed using my Ph probe as initiator and shut off.
    3. Do regular water tests (Hanna, Marine PinPoint, and Apex) just to cross corroborate.
    4. Dose Kalk using an online calculator, then add a shut off command in Apex to the Kalk pump based on high pH.
    5. Part of me wants to just get a completely separate system for dosing, so that the Apex isn't in the loop. Not sure though if that makes sense given my investment into Apex. But for DOS ($499) I could get a pretty solid Marine Pinpoint pH controller solution all in.
    6. Back up that shutoff with an email alert.

Any thoughts on this?

Better off using 2 part if you get a DOS.

A DOS is not $500. They are $300. Even if you want the fancy DDR to go with it, it's still only $450.

Regular Vistor
    So you like the DOS by Neptune? I'm very happy with the Apex base unit and power bar... but I recently had a bad experience with Neptune's AFS.

Anyway, I need to read up on 2 part before I ask any stupid questions. Appreciate the guidance.

Oh, and you're right about the cost of DOS + reservoirs... still, $450. I haven't been able to discern what I get vs. just getting a Jebao and connecting it to my EB832. I'm assuming all the coding is moot?

The jebao is a hunk of walking garbage. I got one when I was in my "frugal" phase of reefkeeping before my current "you get what you pay for" phase. In a matter of 3 months, I had 2 heads fail and dose 1/3 of what was calibrated and 1 head eat up my entire reservoir that was supposed to last a month in 3 days and almost crashed my tank. Their powerheads are okay for what you pay, but you couldn't pay me to use their doser.

Regular Vistor
    Thanks. I think that's the first straightforward opinion I've gotten in this hobby. So I still have a question about DOS vs. anything else. Let's say I go with a GHL doser. What does DOS do that everything outside the Neptune Ecosystem doesn't? I'm a video game designer (created Elder Scrolls) so I understand the technical aspects of walled gardens and keeping folks within your OS. Is the Apex AOS allow me more control using DOS vs. anything else?

Finally, should i move this question to pre-sales? I love this forum so just guide me and I'll conform.

Dont need to move it. You're welcome to derail your own thread on other topics as much as you want.

The advantage to the DOS is reporting and control all integrated into the apex and the motors and head style are better IMO than anything else in the same price point. It's no cole palmer, but I have had one since beta about 3 or 4 years ago and have had 0 problems so reliability is solid (though I use mine for AWC since I used a calcium reactor most of the time I owned one). Also once the trident comes out, that should allow feedback control in the dosing of some form.

Side note...you didnt do a very good job of keeping me from getting stuck in a rock

Regular Vistor
    ha! you answered your own dilemma... *you* got stuck in a rock. Not me. Actually, the honest truth is that we never knew where vertexes weren't joined. In fact, I wrote a program that had a character walk across the ENTIRE world to try and find where there were gaps in the map. Remember we were using vector rays back then, not volumetric tracing, so everything could fit through a mathematical gap. And we didn't create them, they were the product of the paint program used to create the levels. You can google me, Vijay Lakshman... crazy history, luvin life!

Check out my latest book/world, Mythborn, when you get the chance, and thanks so much for your advice. I'm going to go with DOS, and wait for TRIDENT. I'm actually a little perplexed on why it hasn't launched. Any insight? Regardless, I really appreciate your help.

Frequent Visitor
    I think your making the right move waiting. You dose Kalk or 2part based on Alk and Calcium consumption not pH. While they can both help pH as a side benefit, if you dose based on pH you're bound to elevate those components to too high of levels in a short period of time.

Regular Vistor
    yes, agreed. I also just started stocking the tank. I was a little worried that my Rose BTA and Derasa Clam would be lacking certain nutrients, but I decided to just test and get a sense of what's going on before attaching any supplements. Thanks for the advice.

Frequent Visitor
    I run the Tunze ATO all on its own, but use one of the EB8 outlets for the pump. No special programming, just allows me to shut it down if i need to. For kalk, I also use the Tunze osmolater, but my feed pump for it is an Aqualift pump. I cable tie a water intake hose to the Tunze ATO pump base and pull from the same RO container to feed the aqualift pump. Then I run the output tube from the aqualift pump to a one way valve, and then to the osmolater. I use the OSC statement for the power outlet that the aqualift pump is plugged into to cycle through adding kalk. I have logic in the code to shut down the outlet feeding the aqualift pump based on upper and lower pH readings - as a failsafe. I test my water on a regular basis and adjust the OSC statement for frequency as needed. This way my kalk dosing isn't driven by evaporation or other changes in water level.

Regular Vistor
    F*ing genius. Thanks, Detour! I'll work on this, as I just got my small EXT pump and was going to use it to clean off rock, but this is MUCH better. It's about 150gph, but I can dial it way down and use OSC to limit output based on pH.

One question: I want to say this nicely because I love my Neptune, but I can't say I'm super confident in ANY of my probes. Aren't you worried tying your kalk to a probe that may be off?

Frequent Visitor
    I don't use my probe to regulate - I use water testing for that. I use the probe settings for failsafe. If my Ph is out of wack via the probe - I use the reading to shut down the kalk to keep from adding to what may or may not be an issue until I have a chance to troubleshoot it. As either I have a water chemistry issue, or I have a probe issue - and in either case, it requires my intervention to troubleshoot. I just shut down the kalk (or any other contributing dosing) until I do that manual intervention.

Frequent Visitor
    One other item to review - is for cycling on/off low wattage loads like I'm doing for the aqualift pump, if you are using the EB8s, you'll want to consider outlets 4 or 8. 1-3 and 5-7 are TRIAC style outlets, and with low power draws, can get stuck in the on position.

Regular Vistor
    Good points. I get what you're doing now. Your probes are safety nets and not front line governors. Nice thinking on your part. Thanks for the info on the outlets. I sorta knew that, but it wasn't front of mind so I'd probably have hooked it up to whatever was open. I've actually thought about putting a power strip for low wattage items to outlets 4 or 8. That way I can shut down everything that might keep running. Of course, I'd have to do some cable management to be sure each outlet strip had a connected purpose, for example, Strip 1 would only have dosing pumps and only shut down based on something WAY out of whack, and it would send me an email warning.

Thanks for the input and feedback. Appreciate the help.