Thread: Unknown Alarm and Random Reboot

Frequent Visitor

Unknown Alarm and Random Reboot

So since factory defaulting my Apex a few months ago, I have noticed a few random resets here and there. As I was not fully operational yet, I really did not look into it. But these happened once a month. Maybe twice...

This morning I received an alarm:

1 2018-07-02 09:29:10 -0400 OFF Set OFF
    This is cut and pasted from the log but my text messages were the same. My wife who was home heard the tank make a slurping sound. I am assuming it was a reboot. No current alarms. The "Connection History" states the unit has disconnected from Fusion twice in the past 24 hours (at 9:28 and 9:39).

Is there any other logs I can check for more information?

That usually means some alarm spiked because of noise (if your apex isnt on a surge protector, put it on one). Those alarms can be eliminated by making sure you have at least a 10 second defer then on and defer then off in your email code.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    The alarm or the reboot? My system runs on a 3000KVA UPS although I guess it could have come through on the power port. My entire house is running on a "whole house" surge protection system...

The alarm.

Random reboots are a whole separate issue, which can be resolved by firmware updates if you're lucky, but often stem from an internal component that has failed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Well that's just great. This will be my second base unit repair in 8 y It's It's a good thing I have a spare. I guess I'll have to give cloning a try.

Zombie stated a possibility, not a conclusive diagnoses. Are you sure that these infrequent restarts are not due to power blips?
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    Zombie stated a possibility, not a conclusive diagnoses. Are you sure that these infrequent restarts are not due to power blips?

Its doubtful unless my UPS is going bad. I have seen it do it while I was staring at it... Like I said, I have a spare so Ill clone it this weekend and see if anything changes. If the issue stops Ill send it in to be evaluated/Fixed/replaced.

Frequent Visitor
    So since I came home it has happened twice (while in my commute) so since I have a second unit it is no big deal to swap. I followed the step by step cloning instructions and when I get to "replacement mode" I am either having an issue of its messed up. The guide says to enter "self test" then press the up arrow twice. It freezes up. Is this replacement mode? or is there an issue.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by MHG View Post
    So since I came home it has happened twice (while in my commute) so since I have a second unit it is no big deal to swap. I followed the step by step cloning instructions and when I get to "replacement mode" I am either having an issue of its messed up. The guide says to enter "self test" then press the up arrow twice. It freezes up. Is this replacement mode? or is there an issue.

Disregard I found a better way to get into the "replacement mode" Just go into the diag menu and turn it on from there... The backup unit is in and functioning fine so far. Ill give it a few days/weeks and open a ticket with Neptune if this seems to have resolved the issue.

That’s the one and only way to get to replacement mode.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Turns out the next page did not print. So my instructions were missing.

Frequent Visitor
    so my random alarm issue is back.

A few days ago

1 2019-08-0121:06:58 Set OFF

Today

1 2019-08-0516:16:50 Set OFF
    2 2019-08-0517:04:08 If Power EB8DT Off 001 Then ON
    3 2019-08-0517:04:33 Set OFF

The EB8 alarm I have looked at in the past as well. I am thinking it has some fort of a internal issue. But the other "set off" alarm causes what looks like a reboot. COR shuts off. Both skimmers and the return on the frag system cycle off as well.

Both apex head units do this so I am wondering if a bad module can cause this. I also have a FMM that goes dead occasionally.

Frequent Visitor
    I tried increasing the duration for the alarm but it still went off. interestingly enough it finally happened when I was hope (or not at 2am when I am trying to sleep). and contrary to what went on in the past, this time it was alarming for about 5 minutes giving me time to investigate.

2019-08-09 19:17:50 If Power EB8DT Off 003 Then ON
    2019-08-09 19:22:26 Set OFF

The unit definitely had power and the outlets that were set to stay on (like my fan) was still on. so clearly a false alarm... Again as I complained in another thread, the COR20 turns off then back on them this happens. Not sure why

Frequent Visitor
    well it looks like that latest firmware update took care of this issue.