Thread: Advanced Sensors Module (ASM)

Hydroponics Guy

Advanced Sensors Module (ASM)

Has anyone seen any way to purchase an ASM by itself?

I'm a hydro guy, so I don't need the PAR components of the PMK. I just want to use third-party probes to monitor things like Relative Humidity, CO2 in the air, TDS (which I can convert from salinity ppt, but the Apex won't let me format the value shown in the dashboard). A proper TDS/ppm probe would be formatted properly.

Hydroponics Guy
    No. I received a response from Apex. You must purchase the PMK.

Some months ago, I got into some rather surreal nonsense with Neptune customer support over this module. I too wanted one without the PMK, to experiment with some custom sensors. On the suggestion of forum members, I emailed Neptune about just buying the module, without the PAR monitor which I don't need as I already have one. Then followed a brief back and forth in which a rather condescending Neptune staff person wanted me to justify my purchase request and also prove to him that I could do things like crimp BNC connectors! Seriously? Just tell me if you'll sell it to me or not, without stupid games.

Hydroponics Guy
    They were nice enough. They just said no.

Fair enough. I would have respected that answer, even though there seems to be no good reason for not just offering the module to that tiny handful of hobbyists who might want to try something with it.

Quote Originally Posted by rkpetersen View Post
    Fair enough. I would have respected that answer, even though there seems to be no good reason for not just offering the module to that tiny handful of hobbyists who might want to try something with it.
    Not stocking with retailers makes a lot of sense. I agree it doesn't make sense that they dont stock it on their store like they do spare head units.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Not stocking with retailers makes a lot of sense. I agree it doesn't make sense that they dont stock it on their store like they do spare head units.
    Agreed. Although I will point out that I have seen spare head units on retail shelves recently too.

Agreed. Although I will point out that I have seen spare head units on retail shelves recently too.
    They are not just spares - that’s just one possibility. The Apex (2016) base units which recently began being sold separately are primarily intended for those who wish to upgrade from an Apex Classic without buying a full system kit, and are available also for those who wish to build a system ala carte.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Hydroponics Guy
    I get the feeling that they are afraid of creating a support issue with Control Freaks. The way I see it, they've got an interface with their Apex controller that works well in pre-defined roles (PMK), but even Neptune doesn't quite know the full potential of the ASM. And with so many different sensors and probes out there, they cannot fully support everybody's unique application of the ASM. So they just use it for the PMK and when they develop future roles for it, they will include the ASM as necessary. That's just my opinion from talking to Neptune in depth. I fully respect their apparent concerns.