Thread: Apex, third world problems, first world solutions

Regular Vistor

Apex, third world problems, first world solutions

Hi, I have the Apex 2016 with the old EB6 from the EU. I want to know if there is a way to connect the brain to the UPS to keep running and the EB6 to the normal wall power supply. If there is a power failure, the brain will keep running and the EB6 will cut out. I then would like to have the Brain tell me via email that the brain and EB6 have lost connection. Is this possible and what is the code?

Frequent Visitor
    Yes there is ...
    you just need to connect a 12v power supply to the auxilary power (2.1mm tip, 12V input ,0.7A DC output with a center positive electrode (Use Neptune P/N PS12)) and connect that power supply to the UPS while maintaining the EB6 to the wall.

then insert this in your email alarm outlet
    If Power EB8_5 (the address of your EB) 000 Then ON

Hope this helps.
    Rui

I don't have an older Apex to compare but shouldn't the power failure code to put in your text email be: If Power [EnergyBar] Off 000 Then ON ?

Frequent Visitor
    From the old comprehensive manual ...

The most common usage of the ‘If Power’ statement where no duration delay is used is for an Email alert. In this
    case, you typically don’t want power failure notifications AFTER power is restored. In that case, a ‘0’ delay is used
    Page 57 Version: 5.0
    in the Email outlet. However, if you don’t have supplemental 12v power, adding a 1 minute delay will get you your
    email message once power is turned back on.
    If Power EB8_5 000 Then ON  use when you have supplemental 12v power available
    If Power EB8_5 001 Then ON  use when you don’t have any other power source
    This sets the Email outlet register to ON as soon as power goes out. When power returns, the outlet state goes to
    OFF as soon as the delay (000 or 001) is satisfied.

Regular Vistor
    Hi Rui,

Is this for the normal British power or American power supply voltage? We run 240 volts here.

And why must I put in If Power EB8_5 (the address of your EB) 000 Then ON
    If I have the EB6? We dont get the EB8.

Hope to hear from you soon

Frequent Visitor
    You need to go to your classic dashboard and in the modules section understand what is your address name. it should be EB(something)_(address) ... that's the value you need to use.

I only have the EB8 and not an EB6 so I don't know how it's represented in the module.

But you can quickly check!

Regular Vistor
    Classic dashboard? I only know the normal Apex Fusion dashboad.

A presentation that Russ did on setting up for power outages and handling them: https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...n-at-MACNA2013

Frequent Visitor
    sorry ... my bad.
    That's fine with the APEX 2016.

in fusion go to the gear icon and then select modules you will have the energy bars described. Check the type and address.
    if you haven't changed the name, then the name it's the value you need to use.

All the best,
    Rui

Quote Originally Posted by Rui Manuel Gaspar View Post
    From the old comprehensive manual ...

The most common usage of the ‘If Power’ statement where no duration delay is used is for an Email alert. In this
    case, you typically don’t want power failure notifications AFTER power is restored. In that case, a ‘0’ delay is used
    Page 57 Version: 5.0
    in the Email outlet. However, if you don’t have supplemental 12v power, adding a 1 minute delay will get you your
    email message once power is turned back on.
    If Power EB8_5 000 Then ON  use when you have supplemental 12v power available
    If Power EB8_5 001 Then ON  use when you don’t have any other power source
    This sets the Email outlet register to ON as soon as power goes out. When power returns, the outlet state goes to
    OFF as soon as the delay (000 or 001) is satisfied.

I'm looking at that now and wondering if it's a typo that wasn't caught. Several other places in the manual include the word OFF, such as here:

Clipboard05.jpg

One test though is to try and upload the code without the word 'Off'. At least on the 2016 model with current AOS, this results in a Send Fail.

Apologies again if this does not pertain to older models and other firmware.

RK and RUI were correct. You should use

If Power EB6name Off 000 Then ON

In your email. The power apex statement means the apex rebooted if power monitoring is disabled and 12V aux supply is dead if power monitoring is enabled.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    RK and RUI were correct. You should use

If Power EB6name Off 000 Then ON

In your email. The power apex statement means the apex rebooted if power monitoring is disabled and 12V aux supply is dead if power monitoring is enabled.

Ok, but where I am we can't do power monitoring as when we buy the Apex system we get the 2016 brain but with the older EB6 power brick. which SUX
    My question is not really about power loss reports, but if the Apex and the EB6 looses communication. What is that code?

It is a way that I think I can get an alert without having the ability to do power monitoring.

The Idea I got looking at a presentation that Russ did on setting up for power outages and handling them slide show, Have a look and let me know if this might workApex on UPS only.png

The power monitoring setting has nothing to do with amps or watts despite the misleading name. It changes the behavior of how the if power Apex statement works. Use the eb6 power statement.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by FvdB View Post
    Ok, but where I am we can't do power monitoring as when we buy the Apex system we get the 2016 brain but with the older EB6 power brick. which SUX
    My question is not really about power loss reports, but if the Apex and the EB6 looses communication. What is that code?

It is a way that I think I can get an alert without having the ability to do power monitoring.

The Idea I got looking at a presentation that Russ did on setting up for power outages and handling them slide show, Have a look and let me know if this might workApex on UPS only.png
    This schema was exactly what I was telling you in the first post. Tomorrow I will try in mine and post here the results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk