Thread: Works, doesn't, works, doesn't, etc...

New User

Works, doesn't, works, doesn't, etc...

This is a new Apex that I've given up trying to work on with my Mac - it's just way too flaky. The Apex Browser reliably sees the Apex, but the "open in browser" just spins on many attempts then for some unknown reason the admin screen pops up. If the Mac goes to sleep this process starts all over....

I tried my work laptop that's windows. The windows Apex Browser didn't see the Apex until about 5 refreshes then it popped up. The Chrome browsers reliably got the Admin login screen (unlike Mac using IP address so not that issue). I did notice that I could never get the windows Apex Browser to find the Apex again. However I knew the address and just hit that fine. So some bug there.

I switched to using a static IP and followed your white paper. Initially I couldn't hit the internet, but get the DSN and Gateway IPs configured and - a new AOS installed and I was able to get my Fusion connected. Life was grand.

After about 3 days - can't connect from Fusion. Nothing has changed! I see the Apex connected to my router, with the static IP, still see all the ports open. I rebooted my router and I see Apex join again. Still can't hit it. I only have my Mac - so can't connect locally. I hit the reset and the lights cycle, see it connected to my router - still can't connect.

Why would it work and then not?
    How do I get this working - reliably that I can count on getting alarms on a business trip?
    Why doesn't the Mac browser reliably work when Windows is fine?

Thanks

Did you make sure the static IP is outside the lease pool of the connected devices in your house? Could be something else trying to use the same ip potentially.

Also, try changing one of your DNS servers to Google 8.8.8.8 as sometimes ISP DNS (your routers IP address in DNS primary) can be flaky and cause problems. Google as secondary sometimes fixes this.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

New User
    I saw that the static IP should be high, but had already set it. I figured there are no other static IPs configured on my network and assumed the router wouldn't hand out a reserved IP. Maybe I'm giving the router too much credit. I'll change that the next time I can successfully get connected locally if nothing else to take that off the potential issue list.

On the DNS - should that be Primary or Secondary? My Secondary listed is an odd IP 205.... if I recall. I got this value right from my WiFi app - Eero

Someone else suggested the port not be left at the 80 default. Could that be my Mac issue where it almost never successfully connects locally?

Thanks

DNS primary should be the IP of your router. Secondary should be Google.

Leaving the port at 80 is recommended.

New User
    Hey Zombie - thanks for the suggestions, but still isn't connecting. One by one, I set the secondary DSN to 8.8.8.8. Then tried setting my address to 192.168.7.251 (was 7.23). Then tried changing the port (another suggestion) to 8088, along with the forwarding rule. I've set that back to 80, along with the rule.

Anything else I'm missing?

Is your router 192.168.7.1? Most routers are 192.168.1.1.

New User
    My ISP router is 192.168.0.1 If I hit this in a browser, I get the login screen of my CenturyLink router.

Behind this, I have 2 Eero mesh WiFi access points, both with Ethernet hardwire connections. Of these, 192.168.7.1 is in fact listed in the Eero app as the "Gateway eero IP address" when looking at one of the access points. I think this is eero picking 1 master in the mesh. When I looking on the Internet Connection page in the app, it does list the ISP router as the Router IP.

The first time I configured this, I mistakenly used the eero gateway IP address (7.1) - Apex was able to pull down the new AOS but couldn't connect afterwards. I changed the Apex Gateway to the ISP Router (0.1) and it finally was able to connect. I found it very odd the AOS updated with the wrong IP - must of had a one way connection some how.

Then I think that's your problem. Your static up needs to start with 192.168.0 instead of 192.168.7. Your apex is trying to connect to a masked subnet as currently configured.

New User
    My subnet mask is 255.255.255.0

When I attempted to set the static IP to 192.168.0.251 - it failed saving saying it was "outside my subnet range". What's a good address?

Try 192.168.0.123. Easy to remember

Gateway: 192.168.0.1
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    Primary DNS: 192.168.0.1
    Secondary DNS 8.8.8.8

New User
    So googling "outside my subnet range" - I need to use the 7.x as that is my WiFi network (192.168.7.1 is the WiFi router and the Apex is on the 192.168.7 network portion of the subnet mask). 0.x is outside the range of the WiFi router, but that would be within range of my ISP router.

But get this! I had first set the Apex to the 0.251 address and clicked saved, followed by my attempt to set the WiFi router rule - error. Now I couldn't get to my Apex. So I set the rule back to 7.251, and recycled the Apex back to WiFi mode. Selected my local WiFi - Connected to Fusion!! But for how many days?

Thanks for all your help - this has to be an Apex bug. My Ring devices work flawlessly out of the box on the same WiFi and basically does the same network routing.

You should be fine now. My extenders are set up as bridges so they match the routers IP. Since yours aren't, 7.X is correct.

One thing you should check is your wifi channel though. Some routers are complete retards at picking the optimal channel. Mine for instance thought channel 2 was a good idea when 1 and 6 were most congested, even though it's a top of the line nighthawk. Changing to 11 which was the least congested of 1, 6 or 11 fixed it for me. This had no noticeable effect on my phone or computer, but significantly helped my apex and PS3 that I use for Netflix.