Thread: One Snail Stops Both Wavs

One Snail Stops Both Wavs

Every time a snail gets into one of my two Wavs both Wavs stop running. Is this a result of something in my configuration or is this the expected behavior? I really wish only the one Wav with the unauthorized visitor would stop and allow the other to continue to run. This recently happened while we were away resulting in only the flow from the sump return pump moving water in the DT for several days.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad the one shuts down rather than burns out its motor. I just don't think the unaffected Wav should shutdown in sympathy with the one with the problem.

Frequent Visitor
    This happened to me on vacation a couple of weeks ago. One of my WAVs went into a stall and has not come out. When it stalled, every component on the 1Link lost power. My ATK pump, my other WAV pump, and my DOS. As soon as I unplugged the stalled WAV (which I had cleaned before I left on vacation) everything worked fine. I assume something shorts the 1Link in some way. Very disturbing. I have lost two WAV pumps in the past month.

Quote Originally Posted by wwanthony View Post
    This happened to me on vacation a couple of weeks ago. One of my WAVs went into a stall and has not come out. When it stalled, every component on the 1Link lost power. My ATK pump, my other WAV pump, and my DOS. As soon as I unplugged the stalled WAV (which I had cleaned before I left on vacation) everything worked fine. I assume something shorts the 1Link in some way. Very disturbing. I have lost two WAV pumps in the past month.
    What is happening is when the WAV pump stalls, it pulls a lot of extra current. All that extra current combined with the current from the other devices can cause the voltage to drop low enough that torque can't be maintained and causes the other pumps to also stall. It's for this reason that I would not recommend having all flow pumps on the same 1link or eb832.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    What is happening is when the WAV pump stalls, it pulls a lot of extra current. All that extra current combined with the current from the other devices can cause the voltage to drop low enough that torque can't be maintained and causes the other pumps to also stall. It's for this reason that I would not recommend having all flow pumps on the same 1link or eb832.

Makes sense. I have a couple of 1Links for that reason. The stalled (failed) WAV was on the same 1Link as the ATK PMUP and the DOS. The lost of flow was not as critical as the lost of the ATO. The DOS is used for AWC so it was not critical either. I got lucky. I took a long weekend instead of my usually 8 to 10 days away. Either way, I don't like loosing all the ports because of a component failure on one port. Simply does not seem right. Folks on other sites have reported an entire 832 (including the standard power ports) have been lost with the failure of a WAV. Ouch.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post

Ouch, that means an additional $225 per WAV over here...

Quote Originally Posted by wwanthony View Post
    Makes sense. I have a couple of 1Links for that reason. The stalled (failed) WAV was on the same 1Link as the ATK PMUP and the DOS. The lost of flow was not as critical as the lost of the ATO. The DOS is used for AWC so it was not critical either. I got lucky. I took a long weekend instead of my usually 8 to 10 days away. Either way, I don't like loosing all the ports because of a component failure on one port. Simply does not seem right. Folks on other sites have reported an entire 832 (including the standard power ports) have been lost with the failure of a WAV. Ouch.
    I agree. We will be going away for 8 days next month and now I need to worry about a single snail taking out my Wavs plus my ATO and CA reactor.

As a software developer I still don't understand why the 1Link can not be taught to only shutdown the offending outlet if an outlet is determined to be drawing too much power rather than shut the entire 1Link down and possibly do damage to a tank.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
    I agree. We will be going away for 8 days next month and now I need to worry about a single snail taking out my Wavs plus my ATO and CA reactor.

As a software developer I still don't understand why the 1Link can not be taught to only shutdown the offending outlet if an outlet is determined to be drawing too much power rather than shut the entire 1Link down and possibly do damage to a tank.
    I dont think it's the 1link itself. I think the 24V feed for that doesnt have a cutout (I dont feel like opening one to check). I think the actual problem is the power supply impedance being too high for the potential stall torques.