Thread: Alarm to let me know a eb8 is off

Frequent Visitor

Alarm to let me know a eb8 is off

I have 6 eb8 and i was wondering if there was a way i could get a email or alarm letting me one is offline,They are plugged into different outlets going to breaker box.
    Also whats the code to let me know power is off anyway

Thanks in advance
    Corey

Use:

If Power (eb8_name) OFF 000 Then ON

in your email outlet for each one that you want to monitor. This requires that the Apex is still getting power from a UPS or other eb8.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    Use:

If Power (eb8_name) OFF 000 Then ON

in your email outlet for each one that you want to monitor. This requires that the Apex is still getting power from a UPS or other eb8.
    Was does the 000 signify? Isn’t Off the same thing?

Can I check if the bar is drawing at least 5 amps or so? Meaning something plugged in an outlet isn’t working and the bar is not drawing what normally should?

Frequent Contributor SuncrestReef's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Philt View Post
    Was does the 000 signify? Isn’t Off the same thing?
    The 000 is the number of minutes the alarm should remain on after the power has returned.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Philt View Post
    Can I check if the bar is drawing at least 5 amps or so? Meaning something plugged in an outlet isn’t working and the bar is not drawing what normally should?
    Yes, Amps should be an input that you can declare like you would any other input. In the EB8-32 the amperage and wattage draw is split for each outlet but even the older systems will have a total amperage draw you can reference. Check your inputs page for the name (default to Amp_X where X is the aquabus address of the energy bar.)

Quote Originally Posted by ZROGST View Post
    Yes, Amps should be an input that you can declare like you would any other input. In the EB8-32 the amperage and wattage draw is split for each outlet but even the older systems will have a total amperage draw you can reference. Check your inputs page for the name (default to Amp_X where X is the aquabus address of the energy bar.)
    The Amps reading in older EnergyBars (EB4, EB8, and those EB6 regional variants which have it) is informational. That value cannot be tested in programming.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    The Amps reading in older EnergyBars (EB4, EB8, and those EB6 regional variants which have it) is informational. That value cannot be tested in programming.
    Both interesting and disappointing. Thanks Russ!

Quote Originally Posted by ZROGST View Post
    Both interesting and disappointing. Thanks Russ!
    It is impractical to use the capability to test the EB-wide Amps value even if it existed. It's a total measurement for all outlets... you can't use it to effectively determine if the device plugged into a given single outlet is drawing too much or too little current. There are too many variables present with up to 8 outlets turning on and off through each day to really use it for anything meaningful as far as alerting goes.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    I disagree, respectfully. There are scenarios where total power draw from one energy bar is more-or-less stable throughout the day. Alerting the user when a threshold is passed would let them investigate to determine which of the outlets was over or under-drawing from normal operating range. Certainly not as useful as the individual metered outlets in the EB8-32, but I wouldn't say wholly impractical.

As a practical example: imagine an Apex brain and EB8-32 in a user's sump/filtration room. They have a bank of T5s lighting the display and use a long aquabus to mount an EB4 in the canopy for the T5 bank. In this situation a VO bound by If Time statements could alert the user to a T5 ballast failing if the nominal amperage is exceeded and cut power to those outlets to prevent further damage. I mean - it can't - but it would be useful if it could.