Thread: Advantage / Disadvantage between New 2016 and classic

Frequent Visitor

Advantage / Disadvantage between New 2016 and classic

I do apologize if this is the wrong section.
    I have a classic brain with a few EB8's and all new modules including the DOS / DDR, WAV and FFM / FMK modules.
    A few days ago my Apex decided to quit working / communicating with modules and EB8's, Support call today and guy said it would be better to pay the 50 bucks more for a new main unit Vs repair OR Purchase New 2016 head unit.

My question is for you guys who have come up on the classic system and now have the 2016 units.
    What are some of the Advantages / Disadvantages going with the 2016 unit
    Am I really gaining anything here ?
    I appreciate your feedback and opinions, Thanks

The biggest ones for me are:

- wireless and streamlined firmware updates

- better processor (classic gets buggy after 100 outlets. I have gone over 200 on the 2016 with no bugs)

- access to module config, probe setting, creating virtual outlets, etc all in fusion rather than scattered between two interfaces.

- compatibility with all future modules including trident.

- built in cond port is nice

- EB832 is way better and that is only compatible with 2016. Amps/watts monitoring is really useful.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Thank you very much for the information, I truly like your post as they are most of the time spot on to the point and informative.
    Just to be sure, I could use the regular EB8's I have now along with the New EB832 and New brain Right ?

Was not too keen on spending the money for a repair with tiny warranty or a replacement with a one year for 50 bucks more.
    Not concerned about upgrading just want to be sure it would be worth the extra coin to just order a new Package and just have extra probes for when mine are no longer good Versus just buying a new 2016 brain base unit for half the cost of a package price.
    And of course I do not know of all the good points of the new units so I do appreciate your feedback as well as others who wish to chime in.
    Glad there are other night owls LOL.

The 2016 is backwards compatible with all classic apex modules including EB8. The only thing that it isnt backwards compatible with is the really old X10 type modules like the DC4 and lunarsim from the generation before the apex classic.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    The 2016 is backwards compatible with all classic apex modules including EB8. The only thing that it isnt backwards compatible with is the really old X10 type modules like the DC4 and lunarsim from the generation before the apex classic.

Good deal, I thought so but had to be sure.
    Once again I am thankful for your willingness to answer questions.
    Pretty certain I do not have any older modules to worry about predating the Classic though its good to know as much as possible in any case.

Now its just a decision to make to purchase just The 2016 head unit OR Get the entire new package for the updated EB832 and new probes.
    Of course there is still the option to just repair the classic unit I have for $150 with no real warranty, Not too appealing is it LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by BluewaterLa View Post
    Good deal, I thought so but had to be sure.
    Once again I am thankful for your willingness to answer questions.
    Pretty certain I do not have any older modules to worry about predating the Classic though its good to know as much as possible in any case.

Now its just a decision to make to purchase just The 2016 head unit OR Get the entire new package for the updated EB832 and new probes.
    Of course there is still the option to just repair the classic unit I have for $150 with no real warranty, Not too appealing is it LOL.
    If you go full package, you could always pay for the repair and then just sell it. Around my area a classic sells used for like 350-400.

Frequent Visitor
    If you go full package, you could always pay for the repair and then just sell it. Around my area a classic sells used for like 350-400.

Good Idea pay the !50 for the repair on the base unit and sell it off with my Unused new in box EB8 I had for a back up.
    Suppose I could break even or make a 100 bucks or so back to ease the wifes grief a bit LOL.

Frequent Visitor
    New package came in so now to start taking the old classic dead brain off of panel and install 2016 brain and EB832.
    My guess since I can not get any information from the classic brain is to just swap things over starting from new.
    I could use my old fusion account and just add New apex correct ??
    Of course I will have to reprogram everything fresh since I did not have a back up of data, Was just wondering if there is anything special I would need to do OR get a new Token.
    Any words of advise would be greatly appreciated.

You can use your existing fusion account.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the response once again, I am just getting into the meat of this install as sometimes in life other events take place that have us stray from tank needs.
    I'm following the get started guide as if its a new apex and will try to link it to my existing fusion account.
    Old apex is removed so no chances of getting the bus cables accidentally connected between the brain units.
    The worse part so far is figuring out which EB8 I want to replace with the new one LOL, One under the tank or the one in the equipment cabinet.
    One in the cabinet is mounted to a board that was made for the classic set up, guess it wouldnt hurt to have it cover a few things up with the larger size, EB832 that is.

In most cases, you SHOULD use the same APEX Fusion account.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

BluewaterLA, you may find this sticky to be useful: https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...Apex-or-ApexEL
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    BluewaterLA, you may find this sticky to be useful: https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...Apex-or-ApexEL
    Yup thanks Russ, I was going back and forth with the good sticky post here and what I was working on.
    I still need to ask questions that many would scoff at or think is trivial due to being not the most tech savy old salt around.
    I do appreciate folks taking the time to ''hold my hand'' so to speak on some of the simple things even if I just need confidence I am not messing something up.
    For example the getting started guide specifically stated to log on to the Local apex page with a link after telling me NOT to connect any modules even the display is a module so this left me frustrated and reading many post plus google searching why my internet browser kept telling me the page did not exist or was not found.
    I did not know my IP address assigned to the new apex and finally on a leap of faith I would not mess anything up badly I plugged in my old display module to get the IP, ALL was great after this and Finally I could start to set this thing up by calibrating probes.
    Which brings me to the next thing, the probe calibration said the ORP did not need to be calibrated which goes against what I thought I knew about these probes and the Salinity probe auto calibration was simple but I still need to watch a video to make sure I did this one right. For the conductivity probe I think the first step is to run the probe calibration dry and allow all the checked boxes to complete then stick it in solution then into the tank.
    The first time I rinsed in RODI water before going back into the tank and it would only read 29 ppt which was stupid low. Yes I checked with three refractometers including two digital ones all freshly calibrated to make sure that my reef indeed was sitting at 35 PPT.
    Re auto calibrated again but did not rinse in RODI water after wet calibration and just stuck it into the probe holder, it now reads 34.6 PPT which is close enough for reference.

I know it can be daunting seeing fools ask silly, Newbie or questions that can be answered with reading sticky post or other threads, Though I am not one who understands information sometimes as a visual learner, Nervous when I've not been executing things regularly OR the Post I read seems to never have a resolution to the OP's issue in one form or another.
    Just another shout out to those who are willing to walk the tech challenged folks through some things.

All probes back operating normally, ORP is low at 157 but that will take some time with a new probe to come into its reality. DOS and DDR was installed again / set up and programmed so now I can rest a bit easier after dosing some elements by hand for a few weeks. EB832 has been set up and all outlets being used are programmed.
    The rest will get done a bit at a time after work this week concerning modules and other items like virtual outlets and setting up my Variable speed ports.
    Fun times indeed, I hope to learn more and commit more to memory this time around or at least advance my use of this technology / Apex.