Thread: programming return pumps

Regular Vistor

programming return pumps

Hi all,
    I have two return pumps. A varios8 and a DC Aquarium 2500 (max 2500 L/H).
    Questions:
    1. Am I better off using each less than 100% together? or
    2. Am I better off using the Varios8 at 80% (water level steady there) and use the DC 2500 as my backup emergency pump for overflow protection only (optical float triggered)?

3. If I do either, and I have the 0-10V on the Varios8 (not the DC, it's plugged into the EB832 and can do on or off, though I do have a 1link and extra cables)...
    Q: Can I setup the Varios8 to increase or decrease it's power level based on either a) sucking air or b) floats?

I have a high float (optical) in the sump that activates the second return pump if the float is closed to protect from overflow of the sump into my basement floor. It pumps the overflow into a second sump that can take the overflow.

I also have a low float (stock from Varios8) that shuts off the Varios if it gets below it. However, it's not optical and I've noticed it sticking... so I want a backup.
    Q: How can I know if my Varios8 is sucking air? I have a flo meter and FMM on the output.

Finally, can I hook up an extra optical float I have to back up the Varios8 stock crap float switch.

Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Silbane View Post
    Hi all,
    I have two return pumps. A varios8 and a DC Aquarium 2500 (max 2500 L/H).
    Questions:
    1. Am I better off using each less than 100% together? or
    2. Am I better off using the Varios8 at 80% (water level steady there) and use the DC 2500 as my backup emergency pump for overflow protection only (optical float triggered)?

3. If I do either, and I have the 0-10V on the Varios8 (not the DC, it's plugged into the EB832 and can do on or off, though I do have a 1link and extra cables)...
    Q: Can I setup the Varios8 to increase or decrease it's power level based on either a) sucking air or b) floats?

I have a high float (optical) in the sump that activates the second return pump if the float is closed to protect from overflow of the sump into my basement floor. It pumps the overflow into a second sump that can take the overflow.

I also have a low float (stock from Varios8) that shuts off the Varios if it gets below it. However, it's not optical and I've noticed it sticking... so I want a backup.
    Q: How can I know if my Varios8 is sucking air? I have a flo meter and FMM on the output.

Finally, can I hook up an extra optical float I have to back up the Varios8 stock crap float switch.

Suggestions?
    1/2: that's all personal preference. Each have fairly equal advantages and disadvantages, so it doesnt really matter.

3. Use the VDM. You can do proportional control based on the flow meter and or floats/opticals.

You can tell the pump is sucking air by the flow measurement and the float. If flow drops and the float is low you can be certain its sucking air. If the flow drops only, could be a clog as well. If the float drops only, could be a stuck float.

As long as you have open ports in the FMM, you can use as many opticals for whatever purpose you want.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    Thanks, Zombie. Good suggestions all.

Can you explain the advantages or disadvantages to my #1 vs. #2? To me it really seems to be choosing between overall wear and tear vs. a true backup pump. The reason I'm leaning towards using both pumps at lower effort is due to the fact that (at least for now) I don't have a battery backup, so if one pump loses power, that means everything has lost power. I don't see a scenario where one pump loses power but the rest continue. So I'm leaning towards creating a bunch of profiles, NormalFLO, Backup, Maxpower that handle the three scenarios I think are most likely: normal operation, a pump dies, or flow rate reduces below some threshold.

If one pump *did* lose power, could I know by using the POWER command in apex coding? Basically, if power drops to below 20%, up the power to pump 2 to 80% to compensate. If so, what would be the proper syntax for that?
    Or do as you suggested, if the FLO < 200 then Maxpower (where 'Maxpower' is a pump profile)?

Thanks again for adding clarity. I just want to be sure I'm not missing an obvious advantage or disadvantage to #1 vs. #2.

Running both has higher wear and tear overall and makes the programming more complex if you want the programming to automatically compensate. Programming becomes simpler though if you dont mind potentially losing half flow during a failure.

Running one simplifies the transfer during a failure but has the potential for some kind of unknown buildup to occur while it's in standby and fail to start.

You dont need to use profiles, you can just type percents in instead.

The code itself depends on how complex you want to go as well as whether you use both or one normally. You basically need to run through scenarios and create virtual outlets that simulate conditions of the scenarios and then decide what you want to occur percentage wise when each happens.

Ex pump runs dry when flow reduces and the low float activates

RunDry
    Set OFF
    If Low CLOSED Then ON
    If Flow > 200 Then OFF

Ex pump has failed completely when flow reduces and the high float activates or watts draw from the energy bar to way down.

Pump1Fail
    Set OFF
    If High OPEN Then ON
    If Flow > 200 Then OFF
    If Output Pump1 Watts < X Then ON
    Defer 000:10 Then ON
    Defer 000:10 Then OFF
    When On > 000:02 Then ON

So on and so forth, and then decide the behavior you want to occur when each virtual outlet becomes true. You are essentially creating a state machine here with this approach.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk