Thread: Dual Gyre XF 250 Kit and Apex Controller System

New User

Dual Gyre XF 250 Kit and Apex Controller System

Hi, I'm setting up 160gal mixed reef tank and I'm looking to get 2 Gyre 250s, the Icecap Interface Module, and the full Apex Controller System (retails $799). The question I have is whether I need (or might want) the Gyre Controller. I'd either get 2 individual 250s to save some money, or just get Dual 250 Kit with controller.

My goal would be to take full advantage of the gyres' control and programming capabilities. However, my goal in getting Apex is to try to centralize as much control as reasonably practicable without losing features of non-Neptune products.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

There is a benefit in having one gyre controller in that if one of those ice caps fails or if your head unit fails at some point and needs to be sent in, you still have a way to control it in the meantime. If that peace of mind is worth the extra expense, get the dual combo. If it's not worth it to you, just get the two pumps.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I have one Gyre in one 100g tank, and 2 Gyres in a second 100g tank. The single Gyre is controlled by Apex; it's pretty straightforward to program the Apex for most anything you'd want to do with one Gyre (aside from the 2 proprietary Gyres modes.) The two Gyres in the second tank are on the Maxspect controller. For these, I have them set up with alternating opposing bidirectional flow on each pump. Setting this up and then making adjustments is just a lot more intuitive and straightforward with the Maxspect controller, at least for me. And since the controller handles 2 Gyres, that's two Icecap modules I don't need to buy (which were out of stock or 'discontinued' everywhere for about 6 months anyway, until just recently when they reappeared.)

New User
    Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks! Sounds like I may want to go with the Maxspect controller for my setup.