Thread: Clouds for VDM

New User

Clouds for VDM

Did I program this correctly?

I have a single channel LED light that I would like to have clouds on. I would like to have my clouds occuring from 11:00 to 15:00 during my "Cloudy" profile which is overlapping my "4HrMidDay" profile where my lights are running at 100%. When a cloud is not going on I want my light intensity to be at 100%. During a cloud I want my light intensity to be at 40%. I want a period of 240 minutes where clouds are randomly going on or off, but in these 240 minutes only 10 minutes actually have clouds going on.

Cloudy Profile:

Light Maximum Intensity: 100%
    Cloudy Light Intensity: 40%
    Cloudy Duration: 240
    Cloudy Time: 10

VDM Program:

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Time 07:00 to 11:00 Then 4HrSunRise
    If Time 11:00 to 15:00 Then 4HrMidDay
    If Time 11:00 to 15:00 Then Cloudy
    If Time 15:00 to 19:00 Then 4HrSunSet

It's better practice to use the wizard and then add any time you want the cloudy profile to potentially occur in the advanced tab.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

You cannot have overlapping profiles or more than one profile active at a time. In the programming you posted, the 4HrMidDay profile will never be active because the next line overrides it.

Your use of the Weather profile is incorrect. Please refer to the VDM manual for an explanation of the various fields in the Weather profile.

https://www.neptunesystems.com/support/docs/
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    It's better practice to use the wizard and then add any time you want the cloudy profile to potentially occur in the advanced tab.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Thank you, but I am 11 years old and I would like to learn how to write code so I would like to avoid the wizard if I can. I would really appreciate it if you guys would check my future code references.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    You cannot have overlapping profiles or more than one profile active at a time. In the programming you posted, the 4HrMidDay profile will never be active because the next line overrides it.

Your use of the Weather profile is incorrect. Please refer to the VDM manual for an explanation of the various fields in the Weather profile.

https://www.neptunesystems.com/support/docs/
    Thank you. Got it, I now understand that there can not be any overlapping programs. I think I can get rid of my "4HrMidDay" profile because all it was, was just a ramp from 100% to 100% for four hours.
    I read the VDM manual before coming to the forum but I did not understand how to use the weather function. The example on the manual had a virtual outlet called "weather". Is that virtual outlet required to make a cloudy function?

New User
    I changed my code so that I wouldn't have overlapping profiles, will my code now do what I described in words below?

I have a single channel LED light that I would like to have clouds on. I would like to have my clouds occuring from 11:00 to 15:00 during my "Cloudy" profile. When a cloud is not going on I want my light intensity to be at 100%. During a cloud I want my light intensity to be at 40%. I want a period of 240 minutes where clouds are randomly going on or off, but in these 240 minutes only 10 minutes actually have clouds going on.

Cloudy Profile:

VDM Program:

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF

In that advanced example, the virtual output is used because it allows for only having weather effects on some days of the week. If you want weather effects everyday as it seems, then it is not needed.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User

Is this correct now?

I changed my code so that I wouldn't have overlapping profiles, will my code now do what I described in words below?

I have a single channel LED light that I would like to have clouds on. I would like to have my clouds occuring from 11:00 to 15:00 during my "Cloudy" profile. When a cloud is not going on I want my light intensity to be at 100%. During a cloud I want my light intensity to be at 40%. I want a period of 240 minutes where clouds are randomly going on or off, but in these 240 minutes only 24 minutes actually have clouds going on.

Cloudy Profile:

VDM Program:

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF