Thread: Salinity Probe won’t calibrate

New User

Salinity Probe won’t calibrate

Hello folks, I am new to Apex but have been reading and researching a lot.

When I first connected my Apex a few weeks ago I was not able to calibrate the salinity probe so I started reading about the problem and found that it sometimes helps if the probe is submerged for a bit. So I retried calibrating it after a few days in the sump. Nothing. I can’t recall what would happen when I tried then, because I have tried so many things, so many times, but after a while I just got frustrated and stopped trying and left it alone.

At some point I thought maybe the solution was bad (although it was new) so I ordered a new packet and picked up where I left off. Still nothing. As of recent, it gets stuck on Step 4 during automatic calibration (see 1st pic) and if I try to do manual calibration it calibrates but gives me a super high number on Step 3 (see 2nd pic) and obviously calibrates wrong because it reads at 0.1 on the chart (see 3rd pic).

Anyone have any ideas what is going on? I’m at my wit’s end here!

Unplug the probe. Scroll through a manual calibration quickly. Then plug it back in and perform the calibration. Make temp compensation is at 2.2 to start, the packet matches tank temp, and that there are no bubbles in the probe.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

New User
    I just purchased the Apex Controller and am setting it up and having the exact same issue. The suggestion provided didn't work. Any other suggestions?

Hydroponics Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianDrab View Post
    I just purchased the Apex Controller and am setting it up and having the exact same issue. The suggestion provided didn't work. Any other suggestions?
    Remember, if you've already opened the solution package, it's only good for a short time (someone will pipe in here with the actual time). I had a 1 week old package that had been sealed by folding the package over and clipping it. No good. I couldn't calibrate the sensor until I opened a new package of solution. So now I just keep a couple of packages around all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanderson234 View Post
    Remember, if you've already opened the solution package, it's only good for a short time (someone will pipe in here with the actual time). I had a 1 week old package that had been sealed by folding the package over and clipping it. No good. I couldn't calibrate the sensor until I opened a new package of solution. So now I just keep a couple of packages around all the time.
    Depends on how well it's sealed. If you can actually make it fully airtight, it can be good for quite some time. If it can evaporate, a couple days at most.

If you're in a pinch on a new apex and don't have time to wait for new packets, you can always calibrate in the tank to get a "ballpark" reading or make your own with table salt using the randy holmes farley article.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladybug5234 View Post
    Hello folks, I am new to Apex but have been reading and researching a lot.

When I first connected my Apex a few weeks ago I was not able to calibrate the salinity probe so I started reading about the problem and found that it sometimes helps if the probe is submerged for a bit. So I retried calibrating it after a few days in the sump. Nothing. I can’t recall what would happen when I tried then, because I have tried so many things, so many times, but after a while I just got frustrated and stopped trying and left it alone.

At some point I thought maybe the solution was bad (although it was new) so I ordered a new packet and picked up where I left off. Still nothing. As of recent, it gets stuck on Step 4 during automatic calibration (see 1st pic) and if I try to do manual calibration it calibrates but gives me a super high number on Step 3 (see 2nd pic) and obviously calibrates wrong because it reads at 0.1 on the chart (see 3rd pic).

Anyone have any ideas what is going on? I’m at my wit’s end here!

The calibration auto test is a bit confusing there are actually 2 parts to it. 1st take the probe shake any access water from it. Do not put in solution yet!
    Hit Calibrate. Once that test completes put probe into solution and hit next. This will calibrate the probe. There’s a dry test then a wet test. Hope this helps