Thread: Lanthanum solution dosing via DOS

Regular Vistor

Lanthanum solution dosing via DOS

I tried using the DOS default programming to supply 500ml/day solution every 24 hours. The result doses 4.2ml every 12 minutes which is not what I want.
    Would any of the coding experts here please show me the coding in order to dose the same 500ml/day in as little as possible quantities per dose thus maximizing the frequency of the doses. For one example, dosing approximately 0.5ml every
    90 secs instead. What I really want is the smallest dose DOS will allow and still dose 500ml/day? Thanks

The algorithm already gives you the smallest "safe" dose. Meaning it chooses the smallest value that allows adequate time between doses to prevent motor overheating and and limits the number of doses per day so the number of start/stop operations of the motor wont lead to it dieing early.

If you want to risk reducing head and motor life, the only way to do this is to use profiles.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    The algorithm already gives you the smallest "safe" dose. Meaning it chooses the smallest value that allows adequate time between doses to prevent motor overheating and and limits the number of doses per day so the number of start/stop operations of the motor wont lead to it dieing early.

If you want to risk reducing head and motor life, the only way to do this is to use profiles.

Ok thanks Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    This is not correct; DŌS profiles also have protections built in - the Apex or APEX Fusion will not accept combinations of dose amount and dosing periodicity values which would adversely affect the DŌS. The only way the use of profiles with a DŌS would result in reduced head and motor life is if one were to use some advanced programming trickery to circumvent those protections.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    This is not correct; DŌS profiles also have protections built in - the Apex or APEX Fusion will not accept combinations of dose amount and dosing periodicity values which would adversely affect the DŌS. The only way the use of profiles with a DŌS would result in reduced head and motor life is if one were to use some advanced programming trickery to circumvent those protections.
    The particular dose interval and amount the OP proposed is actually accepted by a profile if it were "refreshed" every 6 hours with an osc statement to circumvent the max dose count of 255, so using profiles can meet the motor heating criteria that the safety features have built it. However something else, which I assume is an algorithm limitation on start/stop operations (I may be wrong), increases the interval between doses. I agree 100% though about the motor heating safety features. That can only be circumvented with OSC magic (though nobody should).

Regular Vistor
    Very interesting. So right now the web programming gives me 5 doses/hour or 120 does per day.
    A) will a profile allow dosing of 10 doses/hour, each does being 2.1ml and 240 total doses in a 24hours period without damaging my DOS?
    B) If this is ok will using this profile for continuous dosing each & every day also work and also not damage the DOS?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rst View Post
    Very interesting. So right now the web programming gives me 5 doses/hour or 120 does per day.
    A) will a profile allow dosing of 10 doses/hour, each does being 2.1ml and 240 total doses in a 24hours period without damaging my DOS?
    B) If this is ok will using this profile for continuous dosing each & every day also work and also not damage the DOS?
    Thanks
    It would still reduce the life expectancy to some (probably minor) extent because the number of start/stop operations has an effect on motor life. It wont overheat or anything else that would severely reduce motor life.

You could do what you asked setting a profile with a dose of 2.1ml, interval of 360 seconds, number of doses 240 and the code in the DOS being

Set OFF
    If Time 00:00 to 23:58 Then profilename

Personally, I would just use the wizard, but if there is an issue with dosing that additive 4.2ml at a time vs 2.1, than the slight reduction in pump life and higher complexity in adjusting doses as needs change could be worth doing it this way.

Regular Vistor
    Thanks again! Right now, I don’t know that if dosing smaller amounts more frequently would make any real difference. In the past, every time I stopped dosing for even 1 day, my Phosphorus tests would jump back up to where it was when no dosing occurred. So to keep the level consistently low (20ppb), I have resorted to 24hour per day dosing.

Dosing every 12 minutes is, in the grand scheme of things, pretty much continuous dosing. I don't think there's anything to be gained by dosing every 90 seconds but hassle. Just use the dosing schedule wizard - fast and easy. Using a profile in your case would be the hard way to do it, and if you want to change the overall daily amount, you'll need to recalculate everything, whereas with the scheduler, you just modify the the daily volume and you are done.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.