Thread: Max RPMs?

New User

Max RPMs?

I have a COR 20. I run it at 60% and get 400 GPH with 3000 RPMs. I run it at 100% get 400 GPH with 3000 RPMs. Is this expected? Are the max RPMs 3000?

Frequent Visitor

Max RPMs?

Quote Originally Posted by redpine42 View Post
    I have a COR 20. I run it at 60% and get 400 GPH with 3000 RPMs. I run it at 100% get 400 GPH with 3000 RPMs. Is this expected? Are the max RPMs 3000?
    Yes 3000 is max RPM. The percentage is the effort you’re asking for. So basically at 60% your effort can’t over come head pressure and you have reached the pump’s max flow. These pumps don’t handle head pressure like AC pumps. The only way you’ll get more flow is to significantly reduce your head pressure. I did the most I could in a Red Sea by going to 1” plumbing direct to Red Sea return and cant get past 470GPH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by XLOR8T View Post
    Yes 3000 is max RPM. The percentage is the effort you’re asking for. So basically at 60% your effort can’t over come head pressure and you have reached the pump’s max flow. These pumps don’t handle head pressure like AC pumps. The only way you’ll get more flow is to significantly reduce your head pressure. I did the most I could in a Red Sea by going to 1” plumbing directions to Red Sea return and cant get past 470GPH.

470 GPH was the max I got when I took off the loc line in my Red Sea. It should be possible to get up to 900 GPH, but I think it would have to be a direct 3/4 to the Red Sea connection. At least if you look at head pressure calculators, we should be able to get a lot more.

Frequent Visitor
    470 GPH was the max I got when I took off the loc line in my Red Sea. It should be possible to get up to 900 GPH, but I think it would have to be a direct 3/4 to the Red Sea connection. At least if you look at head pressure calculators, we should be able to get a lot more.
    I have 1” direct! With splitter for vivid aquatics flow generator. The head pressure chart you see is based on vertical climb as I was told by their engineers. Elbows aren’t/weren’t tested for head pressure and they behave differently. Also the flow sensor and the 2 unions also add head pressure as well as the union on the cor20 pump. What size Reefer do you have? How much flow were you looking for?

New User
    I have 1” direct! With splitter for vivid aquatics flow generator. The head pressure chart you see is based on vertical climb as I was told by their engineers. Elbows aren’t/weren’t tested for head pressure and they behave differently. Also the flow sensor and the 2 unions also add head pressure as well as the union on the cor20 pump. What size Reefer do you have? How much flow were you looking for?

I have a 525 XL. Was looking for a Triton 10x which would mean I'd need to get 1080 GPH. I think that the 10x Triton recommends is nonsense, so for now I'm happy with the flow I got. Was just curious since 3000 RPM showed up if it was the max. If I want more, I'll do soft tubing from the pump to the Red Sea Connection. That gets rid of my Ts and elbows, and should give me a lot more GPH.

Frequent Visitor
    I have a 525 XL. Was looking for a Triton 10x which would mean I'd need to get 1080 GPH. I think that the 10x Triton recommends is nonsense, so for now I'm happy with the flow I got. Was just curious since 3000 RPM showed up if it was the max. If I want more, I'll do soft tubing from the pump to the Red Sea Connection. That gets rid of my Ts and elbows, and should give me a lot more GPH.
    I have a 525xl as well. Was considering Triton but there has been some supply issues in North America so decided to stick with ESV and use DOS for auto water changes. Then I just make saltwater once a month and let the tank do it’s thing and not worry to much about trace elements etc. There some successful triton people on the Facebook group that are working with 4 times turn over. You can also increase sump flow with a power head under the filter sock section since you are not using socks, just gotta diy something to keep big chunk of chaeto from getting in there. I use a media cup that stops the chaeto from being pulled in

The 10x Triton recommends is nonsense. The recommendations going back the past 20 years have been 10-20x if based on PUMP rating, not actual flowrate. That's 3-5 times turnover for actual flowrate.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

New User
    I have a 525xl as well. Was considering Triton but there has been some supply issues in North America so decided to stick with ESV and use DOS for auto water changes. Then I just make saltwater once a month and let the tank do it’s thing and not worry to much about trace elements etc. There some successful triton people on the Facebook group that are working with 4 times turn over. You can also increase sump flow with a power head under the filter sock section since you are not using socks, just gotta diy something to keep big chunk of chaeto from getting in there. I use a media cup that stops the chaeto from being pulled in

Not sure what I'm going to do there are several other competitors that don't have supply issues. Tank is still young, so I have time. My chaeto has doubled in size, just in the last week.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    The 10x Triton recommends is nonsense. The recommendations going back the past 20 years have been 10-20x if based on PUMP rating, not actual flowrate. That's 3-5 times turnover for actual flowrate.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Yep. That's what I figured. at 470 GPH I have water going over the glass. No way would 1080 GPH be reasonable flow for the tank. My Hermit crabs keep getting blown over.

Trying to decide if Triton and the others are snake oil.

Frequent Visitor
    Not sure what I'm going to do there are several other competitors that don't have supply issues. Tank is still young, so I have time. My chaeto has doubled in size, just in the last week.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep. That's what I figured. at 470 GPH I have water going over the glass. No way would 1080 GPH be reasonable flow for the tank. My Hermit crabs keep getting blown over.

Trying to decide if Triton and the others are snake oil.
    Not snake oil. You can definitely get away with little to no water changes by monitoring your elements with ICP testing but I came to the conclusion that at my size of a tank AWC was more reliable and less complications. Don’t assume Triton is no water changes. If an element gets high and they recommend 6 20% water changes that’s basically 3 months worth of regular water changes.