Thread: Using the same Dos for water change and dosing

New User

Using the same Dos for water change and dosing

Can I use the same Dos for dosing and water changes? I am setting up two Dos's on my tank. I plan to use one to dose Alk and Calc and the other to dose Magnesium. I would also like to use the other one to do water changes. Could I set up virtual outlets and toggle between the two when I want to do a water change? I would mainly use it for doing the Magnesium but then would switch over to do a 5 gallon water change within a short amount of time and then switch back to dosing.

No. You would have to switch tubes, learn the tubes, change the programming, let it run for 2 hours minimum to change the 5 gallons, switch and clear the tubes again and then change the programming again. (Programming changes could be avoided with profiles). That's not very automatic and will be a huge headache. Forget to change the tubes and you crash your tank. You are much better off getting a cheap dosing pump like the BRS 1.1ml per minute for Mg and run the DOS full time for AWC.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    No. You would have to switch tubes, learn the tubes, change the programming, let it run for 2 hours minimum to change the 5 gallons, switch and clear the tubes again and then change the programming again. (Programming changes could be avoided with profiles). That's not very automatic and will be a huge headache. Forget to change the tubes and you crash your tank. You are much better off getting a cheap dosing pump like the BRS 1.1ml per minute for Mg and run the DOS full time for AWC.

Why would I need to switch the tubes? And I couldn't create virtual outlets, one for water change and one for magnesium and switch back and forth?

Quote Originally Posted by baherrick View Post
    Why would I need to switch the tubes? And I couldn't create virtual outlets, one for water change and one for magnesium and switch back and forth?
    Because you have to clear the lines of magnesium and NSW and switch the feed to use one head for two purposes.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Because you have to clear the lines of magnesium and NSW and switch the feed to use one head for two purposes.

What if I was to purchase an extra Dos head and then just switch them out between magnesium and water change? Could I then use virtual outlets when I switch?

Quote Originally Posted by baherrick View Post
    What if I was to purchase an extra Dos head and then just switch them out between magnesium and water change? Could I then use virtual outlets when I switch?
    Yes, you could just swap pump heads, but using virtual outlets is not a very good solution - you will not be able to use the scheduler wizard; you'll have to use DŌS profiles. I do not recommend that approach. Frankly, I'd just dedicate that DŌS to waterchanges, and either dose Mg manually once a week or so, or use a another small peristaltic pump for Mg dosing.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    Ok, thank you for the replies!

New User
    Can’t you use some type of ‘gate valves’ to divert water flow instead of changing hoses and use alternative programming? Seems like these devices and coding are so capable!

NSI Member
    What I've been doing is one DOS for water change, one DOS for dosing Alk and CAL, and I just add Mg to my ATO water. Mg does not change that fast and it is fairly easy to keep the correct level by adding a little to your top off water.